Thread: Blowing smoke

RC Enthusiast

Blowing smoke

After replacing my 2 clutch bell bearings, & cleaning the outside of my engine with WD 40 I put a small amount of fuel in the tank & started her up. She wouldn't run for too long so I adjusted the idle. With the wheels off the ground I applied some slight throttle & noticed a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust. Would this smoke be due a tuning issue or something more serious? I hope my engines ok. Plz help.
    T Maxx RB TM523, Revo OS 21tm

RC Racer
    There is meant to be smoke coming from the exhaust, the richer the LSN & HSN are set the more smoke you will get, if you get a very small amount of smoke from the exhaust then you probably have the engine running to lean. You want the needle settings set so you have good acceleration & speed without bogging down but you also want a small trail of smoke still coming from the exhaust. To little amount of smoke may mean its running to lean & could be to hot causing damage.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Enthusiast
    I am aware that there must be smoke, but the amount coming from the exhaust seems excessive.

RC Racer
    Whats the oil content percentage in the fuel you are using, if it has a high oil % then it will have more smoke from the exhaust.
    Normally it just means it is running pretty rich though & shouldn't really be a problem unless its not getting up to temp & wont run properly. You probably should put it on the ground & see how it runs & if it bogs down a fair bit. Maybe it would be a good idea to set the carby back to factory settings with the LSN & HSN & reset the idle gap back to between .7 & 1mm & start from there & re-tune it.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

It means you are burning oil which is a typical sign of an oil leak some place: a valve, bad rings or blown head gasket. Get it fixed right away or you'll need a new engine!!!! Oh wait....

All kidding aside, ozzii is on the right track. Just need a good tune.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    So a simple tune should get it sorted. Your confusing me…

RC Champion
    You're engine is running rich. Thats not really a problem. Put it on the ground and see if it bogs much.
    If it bogs then lean it some. if it runs good and has power then leave it that way.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Competitor
    both my maxx and revo let out alot of smoke right when i start it and then smokes normally. i always contrubited that too the wd 40 sitting in the motor and the first shot of fuel it gets. and if ur tunes good, u shud be a little rich from a full tank down to half tank. take a video of it if u can.