RC Racer

New guy with a question?

Last Month I purchased my first RC car, (Rustler VXL) which I have a lot of fun so far breaking it and putting it back together. So, I purchased a Rally a week after I bought this. I have only had a chance to use it for about 15 minutes so far. It has an issue with not responding, the esc will beep and the green light will flash when it beeps, but it will do nothing. If I move it by hand it will start working again. Help a noob out please!

Thanks,

DJ

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    First off what batts are you running? Nimh or Lipo? If Nimh is it fully charged, or have you tried another pack to verify. I had problems with Venom nimh and the multi-taps not making a good connection and it would effect the throttle (no reaction).

If Lipo the LED needs to be glowing GREEN. This means LVD is ACTIVATED.

If Nimh the LED needs to be glowing RED. LVD is DISABLED. Don't run Lipo in this mode.

Since you are noting that the light is flashing GREEN. Is the multifunction knob on the TQi set at '0', and the throttle trim at 50/50.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Sorry for the late response, I could not get on the site.

I actually have a ruslter vxl and a slash 4x4 to go with the rally and tried several batteries (I have 4 3s lipos, I believe they are onxy 25C.) which all work fine in the other trucks. I also tried recalibrating the throttle with the same results. I contacted Traxxas and they gave me an RMA# to send the ESC and motor back, which went out today.
    So, i have another question.
    If I were to be impatient and not want to wait for my parts to get back, what would you recommend for a motor/esc package? I would like to stay with the existing batteries I have and keep the torque and speed that the stock 3500kv has.

Thanks,

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by djbrun View Post
    If I were to be impatient and not want to wait for my parts to get back, what would you recommend for a motor/esc package? I would like to stay with the existing batteries I have and keep the torque and speed that the stock 3500kv has.

Thanks,

DJ
    What is your budget? Castle Creations is a good choice but your lipo's need to be up for the task. I see you have 25c, but what is the mah. The batts need to supply a min of 125A, 140A recommended, & more the merrier.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Budget is not really an issue, but I just don't want to waste any money. My Batteries are 5000mah and 5800mah. I was looking at a castle creations set up, just was wndering the exact combo.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

DJ

The Castle Creations Max Pro SCT 3800kv is an excellent setup. I'm afraid if you install this you might not put the stock system back in. LOL Its a 4-pole design so will have more torque and run faster since it has a higher kv, 2S is great and 3S is max i'd go with this. Very good for racing. I havent run one of these in a 4x4 yet, just 2WD trucks. Many say its good and love it. I run the same setup but with the 2400kv motor. Its a lower kv so you will need to gear up to have the same speeds. You shouldnt have any heat issues running this setup either. Plus it has tons of torque. I'd recommend 3S. Which is its sweet spot. Good basher setup here. There are other choices to, but these are most common.

If you want to save some mucho denero check out eBay for the ET-3S Traxxas version of the CC MMP and ET-2400 which is the same as the 2400kv as above. I picked both of those up for around $160. Way cheaper price. If you do go with a castle be sure to pick up the Castle Link or Field Programming Card. If you pick up one of the SCT combos above they should have a coupon for a free Castle Link.

This is JMHO and others will do the same. Wait for other responses before making your choice. I just like to recommend what i've run.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Awesome! thanks for the advise. I will keep the stock stuff for my Rustler. I have already melted the tranny case a little (Right behind the slipper clutch.) and snapped the chassis in half doing ramp to ramp jumps, "missed the landing ramp by that much". That is a great vehicle to bash and break and repair.

DJ

RC Racer
    Well, I did a dumb thing, I got the Castle creations max pro esc, but they didn't have any castle creation motors. (To support my local hobby store.) The young guy behind the counter swore what he had would be good. I told him what I had for batteries and said it would be fine. It's a 4900kv, so I was going to have to gear this down.
    Anyways, I leave the store and go home to solder on my battery connections for the esc. I then go to mount the motor and the shaft is like 8mm shorter than what was on my traxxas motors. I can't even put it on my rustler unless I trurn the gear around and hog out my tranny to fit the gear through, It is just too short. (If you put the gear on and push it in past the gear on gear center as far as you can before it hits the tranny, you can still see half the set screw past the shaft.) They won't take it back because it left the store.! Now I am stuck with a motor that will not work on my car.
    I asked diggerpede what to get and I didn't listen, and it is my own fault that I am stuck with a motor I don't want. I guess I just won't learn.
    Is this the kind of policy at all hobby stores?

DJ

*Watch the language; I've edited out an acronym that would have otherwise been filtered out by the language filter.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-04-2012 at 09:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow that's pretty lame of them, I would stay away from there in the future and that is not how a good hobby store treats it's customers...

RC Racer
    @double G- Sorry about that.

@Rastas - I have spent probably $700 in the last month at this hobby store. I know that this is not really alot, but I thought that maybe being a returning customer it might mean something. Luckily here in the Bay area there are 4 stores within 20 minutes driving distance for me. Maybe one of the others will have a castle creations motor I can pick up tomorrow. I will probably give the motor I got to one of my co-workers, I believe it will work with his set up.

DJ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    This type of anti service is not the way to promote repeat business and, as always, it is going to be rewarded with you buying from another shop. When will these silly LHS owners learn.... The customer is your saving grace... You must keep them as happy as is reasonably possible.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    This type of anti service is not the way to promote repeat business and, as always, it is going to be rewarded with you buying from another shop. When will these silly LHS owners learn.... The customer is your saving grace... You must keep them as happy as is reasonably possible.
    Exactly! I would never treat one of my customers like that.

RC Racer
    I just ordered the 2400kv and was wondering what kind of gearing I need to go with to keep up with the speed of my original set up?

Thanks,

DJ

RC Racer
    Just wanted to say thanks to "DiggerPede" for the advice. Got my Rally up and running today with the MMP and the 2400KV CC set up, I am really liking this car a lot better now. I think I will be putting the 3500kv and esc into my rustler when it comes back from Traxxas.

DJ