RC Competitor

Clutch bell heat?

I just put a 3.3 on my revo and put a revo clutch bell, with new clutch shoes and bearings and all. Soon after I started running it i noticed there seemed to be alot of heat coming from the clutch bell even though the motor was a nice 240 and the truck ran great. Several times between tanks i noticed the heat coming from it, even turning a blue color. Today it melted into the spur gear. Could I have maybe put the clutch shoes in backardsThe only thing I can think of in there to cause that kind of heat is the shoes shipping too much. Waht do you guys think?

RC Racer
    When you put it on the engine, was the CB able to spin freely, could be something like the clutch shoes dragging a little on the clutch bell. Also, what is the mesh like between the CB & spur gear, it may be to tight causing excessive heat build up.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Competitor
    everything was normal, cb spun freely on unmounted engine and the mesh between the 2 was smooth. It did have a new spring on the clutch shoes and was very tight, maybe it was too tight holding them in some.

RC Racer
    If the clutch spring was to tight then it would only prevent the clutch from engaging until the engine was at a higher RPM level, but it shouldn't cause any extra heat as it isn't doing anything, unless the clutch spring spring is only letting the clutch partially engage meaning it could be spinning in the CB & rubbing giving you enough engagement to get the car going but not enough to stop the slippage. A 3 shoe clutch might be your best option as the can be tuned with different spring sizes to engage sooner or later & the give better engagement on the CB. Lets more power get through & can help the engine run cooler as its not needing to rev as hard to get going & up to speed. You said you got new bearings so that shouldn't be causing any problems.
    Pull the CB back off & check the inside to see if the shoes look to be rubbing/slipping to much.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Competitor
    took it apart this morning and everything looks ok. Did notice the clutch shoes were turn other way than what it shows in the parts diagram so turn them and going to reassemble and see what happens this time.

That shouldn't make a difference. Trailing edge--where the pin pulls the shoe around--is stock. Leading edge is where the pin pushes the shoe around. The latter will increase the bite of the clutch at a cost of slightly increased wear; the former has a tendency to break the shoe around the pin.
    Excess slippage of the clutch is the problem. Look for glazing on the shoes and clean them up. Or replace them.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Yea, it only ran a short time before the spur gear gave it up. Ordering a metal shoe clutch setup and couple new spur gears and give it another try. : Thanks guys.