RC Qualifier

My XO-1 Chrome body, XL2 ESC mounted, battery mount mod, Savox servo, and Spectrum

Haven't touched my XO-1 in a while and recently started working on it again.
    I added a stock body painted Chrome, found a good mount for my XL2 ESC, battery mount by badbrad222 to fit two 5000mah 6S 35~70C Lipo Packs, Savox SC-1257TG Servo, Spectrum receiver with temp and rpm sensor, and stock shocks and springs from my Vorza to hold the weight.

i love the chrome, what paint did you use to get it to STAY chrome. every one i have seen/tried ended up quite flat and almost grey.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    That looks great! I've wanted to experiment with chrome too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    i love the chrome, what paint did you use to get it to STAY chrome. every one i have seen/tried ended up quite flat and almost grey.
    Thanks, i used spazstix chrome paint with no coating underneath. I sprayed black under one of my chome cars and that made the finish look flat grey.

RC Qualifier
    All of my other cars came out pretty good when i spray the chrome last and nothing backing it.

RC Qualifier
    I'm trying to chrome all of my cars but the hardest one will be the Losi 5ive-T because the body will cost over $330

RC Racer
    WOW !!! Real nice !!! Did that start off as a clear body with no decals installed ?? i've been thinking of painting up my beaten body just so it doesn't have road rash anymore. Nice Job !!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 NUT View Post
    WOW !!! Real nice !!! Did that start off as a clear body with no decals installed ?? i've been thinking of painting up my beaten body just so it doesn't have road rash anymore. Nice Job !!!
    It started off as a clear body I can't spray the black on top of the chrome or else it will dull so i had to tape off all the sections that i wanted chrome and spray the black first. Still worth it.
    Black sprayed

ready for chrome

coat 1

coat 3 Looks dull because body gets moisture on the outside when painting chrome.

coat 4 and pulled off the outer protectant film.

Decals added.

RC Qualifier
    I love it!!! *you now have a pm

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
    I love it!!! *you now have a pm
    Did you get a reply? i sent a message but it doesn't show in my outbox.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by iMotion_Dung View Post
    U HAVE A 5IVE??? Sweet!
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Qualifier
    Nice collection. My wife would KIIIIIIIIILL me!!!
    Big Air Don't Care

AND RATTLECANNED too boot! , i love how that turned out. im gonna be honest. i am going to steal this idea and try it on my next body.

im trying to get my mind off the 5IVE... somehow a 1/5 SC ended up next on my list. gotta stay off the youtube late at night.

**Watch the language including variations of words that would be edited out.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-24-2012 at 12:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    man great rc bodies i really like the drifters

RC Champion
    That chrome paint looks sick on the XO-1! Nice job!
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    @iMotion Dung Bro!! you're the definition of EPIC!!! those cars look sick with the Chrome Paint Jobs!! i thought i've seen it all but nevermind that!

RC Racer
    You've got some seriously nice rides iMotion_Dung. Super jealous of your 5th scales

RC poster
    i motion do you spray the paint under the body? sorry i just never painted rc cars before
    thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpy View Post
    i motion do you spray the paint under the body? sorry i just never painted rc cars before
    thanks
    Yes I sprayed the inside of the body. First i tapped off the areas that i wanted chrome and sprayed the uncovered area black. After that i peeled off the tape and sprayed everything chrome.
    I had to do it in that order because if you spray anything after the chrome it will get dull.

RC Racer
    I have the paint just waiting for my body. I'm thinking there will be alot of chrome XO-1 's running around after seeing yours. Can't wait !!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 NUT View Post
    I have the paint just waiting for my body. I'm thinking there will be alot of chrome XO-1 's running around after seeing yours. Can't wait !!!
    Make sure you're careful with the chrome because its scratches easily. I usually wait for it to dry then apply Aluminum heat shield tape on the body where it might make contact with parts of the car.
    I always watch out for where wires might rub on the body, roll cages, and stuff like that. Maybe the inside of the front bumper on the XO-1 because it might rub on the foam. Once that tape it on there don't remove it or the chrome will come off.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Tape-40x2500mm

RC Racer
    Thanks for the warning. The side skirts, rear diffuser, foam bumper, body posts, shock towers, and tires probably too. Will add tape where needed. Should have one of my clear bodies in a few days. The others are back ordered. I couldn't get the spaz stix gloss black. So I got Candy Shadow Black Window Tint. You ever mess with it ?? I'm going to use it for the first body. I'm thinking it will look good. Thanks again !!!

Spaz-stik sells a backer specifically for the chrome. Have you messed with that?

Says to apply it after the chrome goes on, a few coats. Then you can spray over that with whatever else.

RC poster
    love the chrome, look great. Probably give it a shot, since I'm on my 3rd body and so far the the grey stock color was favorite, but chrome suits better.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Spaz-stik sells a backer specifically for the chrome. Have you messed with that?

Says to apply it after the chrome goes on, a few coats. Then you can spray over that with whatever else.
    I think the chrome backer is new when Spaz-stik was bough out earlier this year. I started using the product about 6 years ago and don't remember seeing this at the time so i just used the tape to protect the chrome. Sucks because on some off my off road cars all the flexing cause some of the tape to peel off in sections taking the chrome with it. Since then Ive just been buying it at the LHS and haven't had a chance to order and try out the new backer. I'm pretty sure its good if the company made it specially for the chrome. Curious to see if it causes any dulling.

RC Racer
    Did you need a BEC with that servo? What difference did you noice over the inferior stock servo? Anny and all input would be appreciated. Wonder if it would be better to get the high torque (do to the weight of the vehicle) or the high speed. Thanks!

I think the chrome backer is new when Spaz-stik was bough out earlier this year. I started using the product about 6 years ago and don't remember seeing this at the time so i just used the tape to protect the chrome. Sucks because on some off my off road cars all the flexing cause some of the tape to peel off in sections taking the chrome with it. Since then Ive just been buying it at the LHS and haven't had a chance to order and try out the new backer. I'm pretty sure its good if the company made it specially for the chrome. Curious to see if it causes any dulling.
    the list it as specifically for the mirror chrome. would sure hope it doesn't dull the chrome at all.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ray-Paint-35oz

RC Racer
    Well what do you think iMotion Dung ?? Does this meet your standards ?? First paint job. Only problem is there is a bit of snow on the ground now. Can't even show off this body now. Hopefully in a few days the snow will be gone and the wind will die down. 32 mph gusts right now.

Another

Didn't realize how dark them pics were. Heres a better one.

Last edited by Double G; 11-24-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Did you need a BEC or glitch buster with that Savox servo? What difference did you noice over the inferior stock servo? Any and all input would be appreciated. Wonder if it would be better to get the high torque (do to the weight of the vehicle) or the high speed. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Nice car!! How do you like the XL-2 in there?
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Qualifier
    Haha, we are both Five T buddies
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Competitor
    My slash 4x4 body is, well WAS chrome, until repeated crashes tore almost all my paint off.

BL Race Emaxx
    Castle/Tekin Slash 4x4
    Flux Scream Muggy
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Looks slick
    About that radio do you get a lot of range out if it?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Racer
    Imotion Dung: killer toys dude, propz!
    Regards,
    Todd
    5806 Raptor, 67054 Stampede

RC Enthusiast
    I have tried the black backer that is suppose to back the chrome and used it to Spazstix directions and it didnt turn out as chrome as your bodies. So I never tried it again. I am now going to try the way you have done it and protect the areas of possible with this clear flexible plastic stuff I have. I hope it turns out as well as yours did. How long did you wait between coats of chrome? Would drying between coats with a heatgun be ok do you think or let it naturally let it flash over? Thanks for any input. And by the way....nice collection!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTrx View Post
    I have tried the black backer that is suppose to back the chrome and used it to Spazstix directions and it didnt turn out as chrome as your bodies. So I never tried it again. I am now going to try the way you have done it and protect the areas of possible with this clear flexible plastic stuff I have. I hope it turns out as well as yours did. How long did you wait between coats of chrome? Would drying between coats with a heatgun be ok do you think or let it naturally let it flash over? Thanks for any input. And by the way....nice collection!!!
    Blow with a hair dryer on low between coats. Speeds up the drying process.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    Blow with a hair dryer on low between coats. Speeds up the drying process.

Jeremy
    Thanks...Just odered 2 cans of the chrome and 2 bodies...cant wait to try it...
    Would you PLEEEEEASE go flip my truck back over??

RC poster

Hi everyone. I want mod battery mount like he did. I hope someone can help me. Thanks