Traxxas Employee

Summit with a lipo?

SO, after seeing the new Summit L series (Part# 5607L) that comes stock with 2 lipo batteries, I'm wondering, what does everyone think about a Summit with a lipo? I mean, you're not going to get THAT much more speed, do you think the lipo on it will give it more power/better climbing? I at least think the body looks a little more awesome. Thoughts on Summit with lipo?

RC Qualifier
    If your using the stock motor/ESC combo, the advantage would be longer runtime. And if I'm right the Titan 775 is power hungry, and lipos provides more amps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The Summit and LiPo's work GREAT together. I have owned a Summit since it first came out and have run LiPo's in mine most of that time. There aren't any negatives to running LiPo's in the Summit, just all positives!

Traxxas Employee
    VERY NICE! I've been wanting to get a Summit for a while now, Think I'm going to get that L series then, just so I can have the lipos as well! And yeah, I understand the longer run time out of it, as well as the 775 being a hungry motor, should be awesome.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Great to hear!!! You will love the truck

The Titan 775 is not really that Amp hungry as I have repetitively seen two hour runtimes from 8200mAh LiPo's. Overall it is a very good motor for this application.

RC Qualifier
    dont ive think about it anymore... you'll never look back once you get lipos!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Summit works great with Lipo but as for selling them with Lipos well I like to see all the warning stickers that come with the kit LOL... as we know a lot Traxxas customers are first time RC buyers.

RC Competitor
    Lipos are no more "dangerous" than the next battery.

I fly RC helis, my largest uses 14S 5000's and that battery is no more dangerous than the 2S 250mAh Lipo buffer pack I use in it.

Sure, charging and discharging Lipos is a little more critical than with other batteries but over discharging Lipos is what kills them and helis are very good at that since we don't use Low Voltage Cutoff in helis. Don't want your $5K heli falling out of the sky just to save a battery.

I've only had one Lipo catch fire and that was after my heli buried itself in the asphalt strip at our club and severely damaged the battery. I drive a nail through old discharged packs because my kids like to see all the majic smoke come out but even that's getting boring. Doing it to a fully charged Lipo is a different story though. Having said that, ever tried shorting a full size car battery? I wouldn't advise that either.

Anyway, the new 5607L kit has balance chargers and that's for a very good reason. Each cell in a Lipo needs to be balanced whilst charging and as the Summit has a LVC ESC it would be very hard to "hurt" a Lipo in the Summit. RC cars hardly pull any amps compared to the peaks I get from logging in my helis. My big heli has pulled 195A at 60v. Thats almost 11000 watts. The Summit is just a cordless drill with wheels. Ever stalled your cordless drill? What happen? Did it just stop and everyone was safe?

You need to put the battery thing in perspective. It is advised to never leave ANY type of battery unattended whilst charging.

Lipos all the way
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Has anyone noticed that the "skill level" for the "L" Summit is now a 4!! NiMh Summits are a "skill level" 2
    Must be due to LiPos requiring more attention.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Well said!
    (I wish this forum had a "like" button lol)
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    hmmm
    i like that traxxas is comeing out with lipos ... but getting back to the first time buyers? is there a storage feature on the wall chargers
    im not being mean about or in eny way negative . i am just woundering if that situation arose that sombody didnt buy a charger becuase it came with one

summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    I was looking into the summit with lipo and it said that the HS will give you the lipo packs
    Reason being is so that the customer gets a freshly lipo pack and not one that sat on the shelf
    And you'll be able to power up(upgrade) to higher mah if wanted

RC Qualifier
    That's interesting, was this a sticker on the box? all the language from the website suggest it comes with Lipos and 2 chargers.

RC Qualifier
    I did a search for 5607L and came up upon a small HS saying it.
    I'm still curious if the balancers come with it in the box
    Cos it says with 2cell n 3cell balancers
    I've been wanting n looking for a summit since spring
    Wife says go buy it, but the only thing is when wife says go buy it it sounds to easy. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    I did a search for 5607L and came up upon a small HS saying it.
    I'm still curious if the balancers come with it in the box
    Cos it says with 2cell n 3cell balancers
    I've been wanting n looking for a summit since spring
    Wife says go buy it, but the only thing is when wife says go buy it it sounds to easy. Lol
    The 5607L includes two of these #2935 Lipo 2s/3s chargers. These chargers ARE the balancers. They have a 800mA (0.8A) charge rate, necessarily low because they charge through the balance taps, and not the main power leads. To charge the included 5000mAh packs will require over six hours. These will get you going, but you may want to look into a higher powered charger if you want to (dramatically) decrease charge times.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Any idea of when the expected date will be for these with lipos?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Tower Hobbies has them "On Order"
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LZ1005**&P=ML
    They are not even on the "buy" section of the Traxxas site... so it might be a while.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.