Thread: Winter running

RC Champion

Winter running

I was wondering what people do for running in the cold and snow besides waterproof.
    I just took my Npede out with the Trx3.3 it's -13 out and I couldn't get it the temps over 210. I leaned it out over its previous settings but I was scared that I was leaning it too much to compensate for the cold temps. Is there certain things to do at different temps. I've heard put a sock over te heap or wrap it in tinfoil

How cold is too cold?

RC Qualifier
    I have an idea, just gas it! It will get hot, trust me. But in all seriousness, you can wrap tinfoil around the head and it will keep it warm, that's what I do
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Competitor
    is that Celsius or Fahrenheit? I know you will have problems with your fuel at that temp after too long if your not careful.
    I'm crazy, no really I am.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by madjoker911 View Post
    is that Celsius or Fahrenheit? I know you will have problems with your fuel at that temp after too long if your not careful.
    -13 C• = 8F•. Yea I did not run it too long

RC Competitor
    you could try putting a sleeve on the engine, or something to help retain a bit more of the heat, I would avoid a sock or anything extremely flammable should it some how become soaked in fuel.

RC Competitor
    I was reading another thread and it also pointed out you will want to keep an eye on your air filter. too much snow on it and you will have issues with water in the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    I was wondering what people do for running in the cold and snow besides waterproof.
    I just took my Npede out with the Trx3.3 it's -13 out and I couldn't get it the temps over 210. I leaned it out over its previous settings but I was scared that I was leaning it too much to compensate for the cold temps. Is there certain things to do at different temps. I've heard put a sock over te heap or wrap it in tinfoil

How cold is too cold?
    NEVER lean out the tune to get it to operating temp, you will find your tune will most likely run richer in the colder weather then the summer.

If your engine has trouble staying at op temp then put a wrap of aluminum foil(punch holes in it for increased cooling)/baby sock around the cooling head to help retain some of the heat.

You can also make a air filter snow guard out of an old rattle can lid in a few minutes with a Dremel.
    (Pics from the Revo forum!)

Make a larger hole in the end of the lid so your air filter end mount nib sticks through the cap.

Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Nice, I like the home made air filter cover... I'll have to try that and see if it works..
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Love the Air Filter cover, I will have to do that Just for extra protection to keep stuff from flying up on it normally that is a great Idea.

RC poster
    nice staff. i love these homemade air filter covers. it's a nice idea.
    Adam smith
    adam.smith402@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 11-19-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: link to Jet airplane retail site removed