RC Qualifier

Is a 550 brushed motor all I need to crawl with a MMP esc?

Looking to make my 4x4 able to crawl for the wet winter months. I've got a MMP and have read the Traxxas 550 brushed motors are good to crawl. But in this truck how is it able to go slow? Even on 2s the slowest my 2400 goes is 5mph. What else is there to do to make it work?

Not looking to do locking diffs and all that, just putt around in garage and let my 3 year old get the hang of it. Obstacle course out of the sofa
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-08-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    get a sensored motor
    the titan 12t 550 wont work they are too high of a turn and whaen there is a lot og torque required they will just burn up iv tried them and blew up a motor i the process
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

RC Champion
    I ran a Titan 550 21t from an emaxx in my slash 4x4.. I had it made into a monster truck with 5.5" axial Ripsaws on 2.2 rpm revolver crawler wide wheels. It ran ok but got hot.. You just can't seem to gear low enough to make it anywhere near powerful enough to be fun.. However.. I put a Novak Ballistic Crawler 18.5t sensored brushless motor on my MMp and it was an awesome crawler.. It even wheelies and did about 15 mph on 2s lipos. It would crawl at a snails pace and it never ran more than 140*f even when I pushed it hard. Crawling it stayed cold.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Racer
    mad what was your gearing on the novak and was the speed comperable to the stock vxl system
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

RC Champion
    I geared as low as I could with the pinions I had.. I used a 11 tooth pinion and 54 tooth spur..

RC Qualifier
    What makes it go slow, the motor or gearing in a crawler? I want full throttle to be walking speed

RC Qualifier
    You need a sensord motor, I run a Tekin Pro 4 4000kv w/MMP start power med. It will do every thing I ask from It, trail to track.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Champion
    If you want walking speed full throttle than a 4000kv motor is Not what you want . It be as run as a barrel of monkeys, but not a crawler. A 21.5t Novak ballistic sensored motor would be closer.. You need a high turn number ( the T value ) or a low KV motor.. The kv number is easier to calculate for me.. Kv times your voltage equals the rpm of the motor at full throttle.

RC Qualifier
    5mph is common top speed for a crawler. But you will want a brushed or sensored motor to avoid cogging.

RC Qualifier
    3yr old 4000kv in garage is not a good combo, I should have read the OP a little closer.

There are some micro 1/24 crawlers on the market for 150.00 RTR. The Novak motor is 95.00.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Shaky17; 11-09-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the info, sweet paint job on the ford! I don't have the time to maintain it after wet grass/mud runs so i'll do one of the ideas soon.

RC Racer
    if you get a 55t brushed motor it will go slow
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...de-4x4-CRAWLER
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I read that thread but missed that it was a brushed motor. Learing about what the "turn" count means

RC Racer
    the higher the turn the more touque a higher turn motor will have a lower kv
    from the manuel this deals with kv but just rember lower kv is what you want
    Brushless motors are often rated by their kV
    number. The kV rating equals no-load motor rpm with
    1 volt applied. The kV increases as the number of wire
    turns in the motor decreases. As the kV increases, the
    current draw through the electronics also increases.
    The Velineon 3500 motor is a 10-turn, 3500 kV
    motor optimized for the best speed and efficiency in
    lightweight 1/10 scale models.
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

RC Qualifier
    Found an online rc speed calculator to figure out a 55t brushed motor, 2s battery, 9/54 gearing with trenchers will give me 6mph. Perfect! 20 bucks for brushed is worth it to play around with.

RC Qualifier
    If your motor gets to hot I found this, as always just a option I know nothing about it.2:1 Ultra Compact Gear Reduction Unit for 540 Motor

Part Number Z-U0014
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
    I put a Novak Ballistic Crawler 18.5t sensored brushless motor on my MMp and it was an awesome crawler.. It even wheelies and did about 15 mph on 2s lipos. It would crawl at a snails pace and it never ran more than 140*f even when I pushed it hard. Crawling it stayed cold.

when you put the crawler motor in did you have any problems with going full throttle and it cutting out
    i am having problems with the motor and an et-3s where if i give it any more than 1/2 throttle it cuts out any thoughts
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

RC Champion
    The castle ESC's are known to have a week internal BEC.. I've heard of glitching with the castle ESC's and the fix being a "glitch buster" or an external BEC.. I was running a castle 10amp BEC and had no issues..