Thread: Got a TCP!!!

Got a TCP!!!

IDK how I do it lol. But I'm the proud owner of a TCP now. Got it for $125 shipped!

Only thing I'm missing is the original body, wing wire, the dog bone(probably nearly impossible to find) and the TCP long front A-arms.
    BTW...can anyone post a picture of the A-Arm 2631 and 2621 side by side?
    Thankyou.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Nice find! The TCP is my current favorite buggy. I really like the TRX-1 also, but the shorter wheelbase TCP feels more nimble on our tight track. Running an Orion Revolution 14x2 with Vantage V2 endbell, so it's no slouch.

I believe the 2621r arms are the long ones. They seem to be extremely rare. There was a new pair for sale on ebay for the longest time and I bought them while building my buggy. Haven't found another pair anywhere ever since. The 2631r arms are still available through Buytraxxas, but I have no desire to shorten my front track.

I don't have a pair of short arms to compare them to, but I can tell you that they look almost identical to the Bandit/SRT arms, but a good amount shorter. I would imagine that using the Bandit arms and caster setup would give the same overall width, but you would have to run the pin-style Bandit front wheels.

Thanks harry. I'm more surprised in the fact that it has the battery bar and gear cover
    I was on the other forum reading about using a losi axle on the front to use B4 front wheels? All I need is the axle? What about the rear? I'll like to run B4 rear wheels too. Finding the A-Arms will be no problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Thanks harry. I'm more surprised in the fact that it has the battery bar and gear cover
    I was on the other forum reading about using a losi axle on the front to use B4 front wheels? All I need is the axle? What about the rear? I'll like to run B4 rear wheels too. Finding the A-Arms will be no problem for me.
    I've seen people simply drill the hole in the B4 rear rims and use them, but I didn't have much success with that. Seemed like the rear hubs needed crush tubes. No matter how I shimmed the axle, the bearings would start to bind once the nut was tightened to a certain point.

Not 100% sure about the front axle mod. I've seen it done, but I think you need to use a Losi caster and knuckle to make it work. There was also a guy who had his own aluminum axles made for the front so he could use B4 wheels and Traxxas knuckles with no mods.

I just use Bullet wheels on my TRX-1 and TCP. I don't like their looks as much as the stock dished wheels, but beggers can't be choosers.

RC Champion
    Nice man!

Looks pretty darn straight not bad at all for the $$
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I've seen people simply drill the hole in the B4 rear rims and use them, but I didn't have much success with that. Seemed like the rear hubs needed crush tubes. No matter how I shimmed the axle, the bearings would start to bind once the nut was tightened to a certain point.

Not 100% sure about the front axle mod. I've seen it done, but I think you need to use a Losi caster and knuckle to make it work. There was also a guy who had his own aluminum axles made for the front so he could use B4 wheels and Traxxas knuckles with no mods.

I just use Bullet wheels on my TRX-1 and TCP. I don't like their looks as much as the stock dished wheels, but beggers can't be choosers.
    You mean the wheels with the holes all over it? I think they will add personality to the buggy b/c everyone else will be running current solid dish and B4/22 buggies lol. Plus you can say hmmm....these are the lighten race version of the dish wheels

Oh, just an idea for you. I am using an Associated B3 body on my TCP and it fits like it was made for it. Hugs the chassis nicely and looks almost identical to the original. Takes a little creative cutting around the rear tower and a couple other spots. I also had to cut the bottom of the body all the way down where the 90 degree curve is from the mold. It's about 1/4" lower than the line where it's supposed to be cut for the B3, but once it's painted you can't really see any of the original cut lines. I'll see if I can find some pics.

EDIT: Here are some pics of the body. Not the best, but you get the idea. These were taken back when I snapped the front tower, but thanks to Todd, it's back on the track again.

I put a bigger spur gear on it to go with the 14x2 and it rubs a little on the body. I could just cut the body where the mold line is for the spur gear, but I didn't yet because the stock body wasn't cut that way. If I were to put the gear cover on, the body would definitely need to be cut.
    Last edited by harry697; 10-28-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    Nice man!

Looks pretty darn straight not bad at all for the $$
    Thankyou man. I was honestly exacting the buggy to be in terrible shpae like my SRT was. I'm not complaining. BTW this will be my very first buggy! I had MT, TC and even a 4wd trophy truck but never a buggy. I just do not like the way buggies look now. Wide and short. While the Rc10b2/b3 looks like a rc buggy...long and narrow and has a tall wing.

Oh, just an idea for you. I am using an Associated B3 body on my TCP and it fits like it was made for it. Hugs the chassis nicely and looks almost identical to the original. Takes a little creative cutting around the rear tower and a couple other spots. I also had to cut the bottom of the body all the way down where the 90 degree curve is from the mold. It's about 1/4" lower than the line where it's supposed to be cut for the B3, but once it's painted you can't really see any of the original cut lines. I'll see if I can find some pics.

EDIT: Here are some pics of the body. Not the best, but you get the idea. These were taken back when I snapped the front tower, but thanks to Todd, it's back on the track again.

I put a bigger spur gear on it to go with the 14x2 and it rubs a little on the body. I could just cut the body where the mold line is for the spur gear, but I didn't yet because the stock body wasn't cut that way. If I were to put the gear cover on, the body would definitely need to be cut.
    That's probably why I love the RC10t3/B3 series so much b/c they remind me of the SRT/TCP. I had a RC10T3 and it was a awesome fun truck and was just fast no matter how bad of a shape it was. Anyways that B3 body looks beautiful and does fit it prefectly. Got a part number?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-29-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: post merge

ASC6142. Best part is, they're dirt cheap nowadays.

The wing I'm using is for a B4, simply because they're readily available at the LHS. I made an attempt to cut it like the original Traxxas wing. Hard to tell since it's so beat up now.

Harry. What is the internal drive ratio of the TRX-1 transmission? It uses the same internals has the TCP.

2.14:1 according to Traxxas. Only thing I would suggest if you plan to run it with anything hotter than a 27-turn motor is the steel top gear. Stripped a couple of the plastic top gears on the TRX-1 and TCP. Had one idler gear failure with the 14-turn motor, but that was after a lot of hard laps. Unfortunately I have never seen an upgrade idler like they offer for the 2.72 trans.

My old school peg slipper doesn't really seem up to the task of handling that mod motor either. Seems like there's a very small window of adjustment. Replacing the tension spring might help, but I haven't been that ambitious yet. Been considering the Revo slipper too. Would really like to use the STRC top shaft and AE slipper, but IIRC the STRC shaft is a one-piece unit, meaning that the top gear isn't replaceable. Or am I thinking of a different brand?

Was planning on running brushless lol. 10.5t boost. I found delrin top gears and some kyosho or associated internals will work from what I'm reading. I know associated gears can handle it.

Was planning on running brushless lol. 10.5t boost. I found delrin top gears and some kyosho or associated internals will work from what I'm reading. I know associated gears can handle it.
    Interested to know if anybody makes an aluminum idler that will fit.

That things is gonna be a rocket with a 10.5, especially boosted! I was thinking 13.5 if I ever switch to brushless. Probably won't be happening though. I have too many nice mod brushed motors laying around that should keep it going for a few years.lol.

Interested to know if anybody makes an aluminum idler that will fit.

That things is gonna be a rocket with a 10.5, especially boosted! I was thinking 13.5 if I ever switch to brushless. Probably won't be happening though. I have too many nice mod brushed motors laying around that should keep it going for a few years.lol.
    Sadly I sold all my brush motors with a few exemptions. I have my Maxtec but it's brand new. I have my Reedy outlaws I build and my raceprep. But brushless is where it's at man lol. A Tekin setup must be a rocket for the srt and tcp.

Ok the Associated diff gear that will work is part number 6580. It's a 45tooth and I have never had a associated gear strip on me. Even when running a 7700 on a tight slipper in my T4. I'll be hunting down idlers next.

Just an idea. How wide is the Idler for the TCP tranny and how wide is the Idler uses in the SRT and current 2wd Rustler/Bandit? Can be still or aluminum.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-29-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Hey emaxx will you be running this or is it a shelf queen
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko5678 View Post
    Hey emaxx will you be running this or is it a shelf queen
    I plan on running it in 2wd buggy with my SRT running in Mod truck.
    I'm also looking into getting hardened aluminum internals made(ball diff gear,idler and top gear). Need something light on rotational mass but strong for brushless.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 10-29-2012 at 11:54 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I believe the 2621r arms are the long ones. They seem to be extremely rare. There was a new pair for sale on ebay for the longest time and I bought them while building my buggy. Haven't found another pair anywhere ever since. The 2631r arms are still available through Buytraxxas, but I have no desire to shorten my front track.
    PM me if you want any of them, I know I site that has at least 4 of each in stock. I got them for my second TCP but I can't seem to find them now to take a picture.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Guys. The Traxxas Aluminum Idler TRX1996x works and fits perfectly in the TRX3/TCP transmission case. And got my TCP in today and it came with a transmission in near mint condition and steel top gear.

That's good to know. I never even considered that they might be interchangable due to the different design. But after checking the parts lists, both transmission (buggy and truck) use a 30-tooth idler.

That's good to know. I never even considered that they might be interchangable due to the different design. But after checking the parts lists, both transmission (buggy and truck) use a 30-tooth idler.
    Yup. I figured it was going to work just by looking at the width of the diff gear(my SRT came with a 45t) and the SRT idler was the same width. All you need in the shaft. You'll have 4 ball bearings for the idler basically lol.

Now for the wheels. I love the bullet style wheels with the holes in it. They are 2.15". Now the problem is tires are now 2.2"/ How will the tires fit the rims? I do plan on racing this in super stock brushless and need the right indoor tire.

Now for the wheels. I love the bullet style wheels with the holes in it. They are 2.15". Now the problem is tires are now 2.2"/ How will the tires fit the rims? I do plan on racing this in super stock brushless and need the right indoor tire.
    Anyone?

Plus I rebuilt the transmission. I removed the stock idler and put a SRT nylon Idler in b/c I already have a mint steel top gear. I figured if I'm stripping a gear let it be the one I can easily replace. The ball diff is silky smooth too. This is probably the most free spinning transmission I have ever felt...and that is using grease on the gears lol.

Anyone?

Plus I rebuilt the transmission. I removed the stock idler and put a SRT nylon Idler in b/c I already have a mint steel top gear. I figured if I'm stripping a gear let it be the one I can easily replace. The ball diff is silky smooth too. This is probably the most free spinning transmission I have ever felt...and that is using grease on the gears lol.
    Anyone? I wondering about how to fit 2.2 tires on the 2.15 wheels.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    i just glue the tires up. bead seating be darned!

can you tell? i couldnt unless you told me, and i was the one who glued them up!
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector