Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

wanna get into nitro...

i have been really thinking about getting into nitro for awhile. I have never messed with or driven a nitro truck before so i am a little unsure. I am a quick learner tho. are they really that hard to keep running or tell me what you guys think. some pro's and con's would be nice. and biggest thing, which truck? i like the short course trucks and don't have one yet thats why i was thinking the slayer...
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

Welcome to the Slayer fourms! Nitro can be really frustrating some times, and yet sometimes they can work perfect without any issues. I love my Slayer, it's alot of fun, but I spend at least 75% of my time either tunning it, fixing it, or just trying to get it to start. But when it works, it's a blast. Nitro can be really hard, you have to worry about after run, tunning it, engine temps, not running the engine too lean, cleaning the air filter, removing the oil and crud off of it after your done running it, weight, loud, and nitro costs alot. I'll warn you... it takes alot of time and effort to use nitro, it's not just as simple as plug in and play. But it's alot more realistic and rewarding when you get it all right. The Slayer is a great truck, it's very much like the E-Revo, and the Revo 3.3 in alot of ways. But, there is almost NO upgrades for it, but it really doesn't need upgrades to be great. Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    thats the only thing that scares me is the tuning part and running it too lean. i just dont get the TUNING part of a engine. ya know.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    just follow the traxxas instructions there manuals are great.. another tip is check out the Ultimate Nitro Engine Guide for knowledge of nitro engines.. and dont be afraid of them just have fun. there so cool!!

Ok, here is the tunning guide, memerize it word for word! http://traxxas.com/support/Tuning-Yo...-Performance-0 Hope this helps!

RC Champion
    i didnt either at first. I got a video, watched TONS online and starting with the truck running rich and eventually, I leaned it out for more performance. I have found that I run my cars a bit more rich than most just because I dont mine the slight decrease in HP since I'm just bashin around and not racing.

Nothing to be scared about - IF YOU FOLLOW THE GUIDE and READ YOUR MANUAL!!!! That part is important, I wanted to make sure you got it! LOL

RC Champion
    Don't worry there lots of fun. Once you get the hang of tuning you don't spend %75 of the time tryin to tune. Only takes 5 minutes. Quite literally 2-4 runs up and down the road IF it even needs any tuneing or adjusting at all..

RC Qualifier
    i actually just watched a video about how to break in your engine. go slow for about 2 tanks of gas with your high and low at factory settings and then you can lean out your fuel?? lol who am i kidding i have no idea what im talking about lol.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

i actually just watched a video about how to break in your engine. go slow for about 2 tanks of gas with your high and low at factory settings and then you can lean out your fuel?? lol who am i kidding i have no idea what im talking about lol.
    I would follow the Traxxas break-in. It's proven to work, and any other break-in will void the waranty.

RC Competitor
    I am fairly new to Nitro, and have no electric RC's. I love my Nitro's. I spend some time working on them, but that is to get more performance out of it, not because I have to, I want to. Take your time when tuning your engine the first time after break in. once you feel it is dialed in, you will just need occasional tunes, after it warms up. The Traxxas break in is on this website along with the tuning guide, and it is also hanging on the gas tank before you fill it the first time, with a pocket size guide. when tuning, take it in small increments, a light turn can make a noticeable difference.
    I'm crazy, no really I am.

RC Qualifier
    i found this guy he is selling his slayer pro and it looks really clean for $175, should i be afraid that something is wrong with it?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Competitor
    you should always be ready to rebuild the engine on a used buy. outside that, if its local, try to have them run it, check the electronics. but $175 is not a bad price for a good roller, much less one thats running. Just be ready to put some wrench time in.
    I'm crazy, no really I am.

RC Competitor
    Don't let the engine tuneing scare you. It's not difficult, just takes a bit of patience. I've had my Slayer Pro for over a year now and had zero problems. I also bought an older slayer off eBay and it has been problem free as well.

Just read the basics if engine tuning and take it slow, never make big adjustments or more then one adjustment at a time.

V/R
    Bill

If it's a genuine Slayer Pro in good shape, I'd jump at $175! Just make sure he starts and runs the truck for a while and it is best practice to assume the engine is on it's last leg. Look it over thoroughly: push/pull on parts to see if they are broken and roll it around for smoothness. The biggest test is driving it. If he is hesitant then ask what he is hiding and put a lower bid on the table.
    The Super Derecho