RC Racer

Is servo upgrade necessary?

I been driving my stampede vxl 4x4 for a while with no servo issues, turning ratio isn't the tightest, but I can live with that Could be nice to have tighter steering ration as the rally is a car and not a big truck, so as question in thread says is servo upgrade necessary?

Thanks in Advance,
    David Sandine
    Sandine Motorsports
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Im not convinced that its "necessary"... but its not a bad idea. There are many servos out there with better specs than the stock one for $25-50. I personally run a Savox 1258 and its SUPER fast... But I did run the stock servo a bit and the car handled just fine with it as well.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Im not convinced that its "necessary"... but its not a bad idea. There are many servos out there with better specs than the stock one for $25-50. I personally run a Savox 1258 and its SUPER fast... But I did run the stock servo a bit and the car handled just fine with it as well.
    Is it a bolt in without any mods? I would like a servo that has quicker reaction (compared to stock stampede vxl 4x4 servo)
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Racer
    Is it a bolt in without any mods? I would like a servo that has quicker reaction (compared to stock stampede vxl 4x4 servo)
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

The savox is a direct bolt in. The servo horn even fits correctly as does the servo horn screw. Takes a while to install as you have to take the whole front of the car off. But once your done its well worth it. Some say you should use a BEC to run a servo like this... but I have never had an issue with glitching or brown outs running mine with an Airtronics RX... works great in my stampede and this car.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    +1 the stock 2075 isnt to bad, just transition time is slow. I havent installed a Savox 1258TG in my Rally yet, but have most of the rest of my fleet with one. Last night I soldered up a CC 10a BEC to my P4de with the same Savox and boy what a difference it made. It moved/reacted side to side at the speed of light. Glitch busters typically remedy the shakiness if you have this issue.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    Noob question: when upgrading to a better servo do I jus slap it on or do I need an extra power box to enhance the power of thr servo? What's thr proper setup??

Depends on the servo. If its a super high speed or torque than you can use an external BEC. For the savox 1258 you don't need anything extra. Most mid level upgrade servos for a 1/10 vehicle won't require an external BEC. Just plug and play.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Depends on the servo. If its a super high speed or torque than you can use an external BEC. For the savox 1258 you don't need anything extra. Most mid level upgrade servos for a 1/10 vehicle won't require an external BEC. Just plug and play.

Sweet. Thanks for the quick reply!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Sometimes it will matter what speed control you are running. Many have had issues with the castle mmp needing an external bec to handle the high draw savox servos. I dont think anyone was having issues with the vxl esc though.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???