RC Competitor

Revo 3.3 questions???

Considering a new 3.3 Revo.What are the honest facts about these?Are the 3.3's good engines?I've heard different stories from a few guy's i asked.But they don't own one!

RC Qualifier
    3.3 is a great engine if you break it in properly and have a good tune! Mines a wheel monster and has reached 50 mph on a perfect tune
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Racer
    The engines do go well & some people seem to get a good run out of them. Mine didn't last long though & was never ran to lean or hot, its the only engine I've had a problem with, although it was still going good when I stripped it but the rear bearing had a good bit of side play in it & it wouldn't have been long before it give up, I only run 20% nitro. I have read of a few people getting a long life from them but have heard of more getting a short life, I look at a few different forums. Tuning issue's seem to be common to, very touchy needles, a lot of people change the carb to a better easier to tune set up, myself I just changed to an O.S 21tm engine as fair few others do as well or you can get a big block kit & run a larger engine but then you will have more breakages in the trans & a few other parts. I haven't broken anything so far with the O.S but I have only just run it in & haven't tuned it properly just yet, will see how it goes I guess.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Qualifier
    Well I have had a 3.3 go for 3 gallons and then I sold it to my friend who has put 3.5 gallons through it too lol and all I've replaced is backing plate, and cooling head lol and it still runs good!?! Lol

RC Racer
    Like I said, some ppl seem to get a good run out of them, mine would still be going to if the bearing didn't get a fair bit of play in it, If I was to put in a new bearing then it would go again, but after only 6-7 litre's of fuel that shouldn't happen.
    I was just saying that I have read about a fair few ppl having engine drama's, also with bearings & problems trying to keep a good tune on them. Change the carb & there easier to tune & hold a tune better. I gave my O.S a tune today, much easier to get right & more power already than the 3.3 had. I agree that the 3.3 is a good engine, but it could do with some better components.

RC Champion
    The revo truck is a solid machine and handles very well. Like anything else there will be things that break and things you'll want to change on it, that's rc trucks for ya. It's a very good machine.
    The 3.3 is a fine engine, but most people end up running them too lean. The biggest part of the problem is traxxas fuel or any other brand that has way too much oil. Too much oil makes engines run like poo, and most people end up leaning them too much in an attempt to get a good tune. You also have to understand that Traxxas is a very popular company that attracts many different folks, and a lot of those people just can't figure out how to run the little engines properly.

Considering the sheer amount of people buying Traxxas, you could say there's more internet posts about this engine than any other engine in history.....And most of those posts are negative. Very few people will take the time to post their positive feedback.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Champion
    the 3.3 is hit or miss.. the Quality control is at a bare minimum.. having raced the revo from the 2.5 days up to the 3.3 days.. i would say that i've had 3.3's that lasted a gallon and some lasted 6 gallons... and those that failed was all due to a rear bearing failure, which manifested itself in other ways.... i had 1 where the block was slightly mis-aligned and i figured this out when i tried to put a higher quality bearing with tighter tolerances...

all in all if MT was still racing.. i would be running a 3.3 and i would have 3 in my tool bag for the season... at 100 on ebay .. you cant go wrong.
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Racer
    I agree that the Revo is a great MT, I have a good time with mine & never broken anything so far, but I don't bash that hard or do huge jumps either. As for the engine, I agree with kgombe1, some last & some don't, which is what I said. I know I didn't run mine to lean, just like other engines I have had or tuned & never had a problem with, I tuned my brothers & its still going well.
    It was the rear bearing that went in mine but I found the problem before it done any damage. They are a cheap engine so really you can't expect them to be perfect, but maybe some better quality components would help them last longer. The fuel I use has 12% oil so thats not to much either, & I always made sure I had a trail of smoke & the engine wasn't to hot so I know my tuning was fine, I just got an engine that didn't last, like a lot of others seem to get. Its the only engine I have read about that so many people have a problem with, some last & some don't.

RC Competitor
    I ended up getting a great deal on a new unused 5309(2011).I'm on the fence about using it....What would be a good fuel to run if i do?(brand/%)

RC Champion
    We run sidewinder 20% in our Revos and tmaxx's.
    we've ran over 12 gallons through our cars in the past 2.5 months.
    Last month we upgraded 4 of the trucks to picco motors and they run great with the sidewinder fuel.
    The only ones currently with the 3.3 motors are 2 Revos, a tmaxx, and a jato, and they still run great.