Thread: Lipo bound

RC Champion

Lipo bound

Ordered my first 3s lipo tonight for my slash wish me luck. Actually my first lipo ever thanks to everyone who put forth great information in helping me make my decision.

RC Racer
    Keep us posted !! Thinking of Lipo too
    Revo 5309 3.3 new But a work in progress !!

RC Qualifier
    You wont be disappointed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your only regret will be why you took so long to go lipo
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    You have a balancing charger to go with it, correct?
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Qualifier
    You are gonna want to upgrade your motot/esc next. The bug never stops.
    Sl4sh 2650/MM
    Erevo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RockchalkJayhawkz View Post
    You are gonna want to upgrade your motot/esc next. The bug never stops.
    Already been on the phone with castle.

Read this once or thrice:
    Info and Care
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    thanks for the link.

RC Champion
    Alright I am a junkie just bought the 2400 sct castle set up from A main. i called castle and thats what they told me too use. I wa going to wait for the velinion to die but couldn't wait.

Now you can sell the stock system and partially pay for your Castle setup! You are going to love the 2400 system! It stays a lot cooler than the stock system and has a lot more torque!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    It never ends haha.
    Sl4sh 2650/MM
    Erevo

RC Champion
    Well finally got all the pieces together. Unfortunatly I have to wait till thanksgiving (work) to have the time to install the new castle 2400sct. I am hoping to get a chance this weekend to run 1 new 3s pack to try it out. All these new parts and no time is killing me.

RC Qualifier
    The 3s will be the death of the vxl. They don't seem to last long before they bite the dust on 3s
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    The 3s will be the death of the vxl. They don't seem to last long before they bite the dust on 3s
    Seeing as I got the castle stuff here I am willing to risk it for 1 3s pack on the vxl just to finally experience lipo power for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    Yeah, no, not so much. Any motor will die if treated incorrectly or run under the wrong expectations. The Velineon motor is not any less reliable than other motor, but it is used by more inexperienced hobbyists than any other brushless motor due to the Traxxas marketshare. It is not a ticking timebomb unless the user puts the "explosive" in it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Yeah, no, not so much. Any motor will die if treated incorrectly or run under the wrong expectations. The Velineon motor is not any less reliable than other motor, but it is used by more inexperienced hobbyists than any other brushless motor due to the Traxxas marketshare. It is not a ticking timebomb unless the user puts the "explosive" in it.
    It's all about being smart.

Well, yeah, that and experience. Traxxas has a huge number of first-time hobbyists and they do tend to break things more than old timers. Scanning the various forums for "How fast, how fast, how fast!" threads, the great majority by new users, it isn't very surprising that this happens. Fortunately, the learning curve is usually pretty short. Unfortunately, many times the equipment get the blame that should be placed elsewhere.
    That said, I just bought a sensored LRP motor that seems to be bad right out of the box - it didn't even get to see 3S first. It seems to be a very good motor for others. It happens to every manufacturer.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Well finally got all the pieces together. Unfortunatly I have to wait till thanksgiving (work) to have the time to install the new castle 2400sct. I am hoping to get a chance this weekend to run 1 new 3s pack to try it out. All these new parts and no time is killing me.
    Once you go LiPo, you never go back. My NiMh has been sitting on my dresser for weeks now and I've only touched it to get it off my tool box when I went to the race. Be prepared though, more power will come with more broken parts. Drive shafts in particular. If you haven't upgraded to Teknos, MIPs, or the new Traxxas CVDs yet, stock up on at least one spare front and one spare rear.

RC Champion
    Well got to run my first lipo today. WOW why did I wait sooo long? Its a 3s on the vilenion (haven't had time to put in new castle set up yet) 13P stock spur and I had no issues like I read about. Yes I did stop check temps and cool down but it was flawless on 3S with the vilenoin. The increase in throttle punch with the lipo is a monster. I will never go back. I use a traxxas ez peak 6 amp charger and it is so nice and simple to set up and charge or store lipos. Now to get the castle installed hopefully turkey day.

RC Enthusiast
    i think im next to jump on the lipo band wagon haha

RC Champion
    You won't regret it and wonder why you waited. get a good charger and be smart and aviod all the stupid you tube stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    i dindt start sooner because im just about mastered going 40 to 45 haha

i have to agree with what you said. you will wonder why you stuck with nimh so long. Do get a good charger like mentioned the traxxas ez peak plus or the like like dynamite ultra.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    WOW WOW WOW Thats all I can say. Installed castle 2400 pro sct this morning and couldn't wait so went out in the parking lot at my apartment to try it out. 3S 18T pinion stock spur and this thing is CRAZY. i can't wait to get to some dirt. Ran some old stock bfg for the street and you stab the throttle and it just lights up all 4 tires and goes like crazy.

RC Champion
    Finally got to do some bashing today. The Castle system is simply amazing on 3S. This thing is soo much fun. Its absolutely amazing to see it pick up the front wheels on DIRT. Amazingly its not that uncontrollable with 3s on loose dirt it is really fun. Biggest problem is I have is one of my favorite bash places is a huge ditch I jump from an asphalt drive. Its a short run and ocasionally on punch the darn thing goes up on the rear bumper. I am not complaining it is soo much fun. Temp still gets up a little bit probably outerwears. But it doesn't take half the time the vilenion did to cool. Haven't been over 165 motor and will try not to. ESC stays around 100. Usually I stop to check temp before problems start. I would rather stop and check than replace melted parts.

RC Qualifier
    Lipos, so much better than them old NIMH.
    How about some pics or even a vid?
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    Lipos, so much better than them old NIMH.
    How about some pics or even a vid?
    Sorry I am computer STUPID I have no idea how to do either.