RC Racer

looking for shock springs

im looking for a set of springs for my slash i have the big bores and the springs seem too soft. i have extra preload clips all the way around and the front seems ok but the rear sags just a bit too much for the amount of preload clips i have in it. the drive shafts are a hint below level which is where i want it for racing but just toomany clips for me. is there any linear springs out there that will fit? well i think they are linear. the progressives seem too soft. and i have rebuilt all 4 shocks 3 times. not sure what to do now.

there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Drag It!

basically you just need some heavier springs. so work on getting a variety of them for testing and tuning. preload spacers are nothing more than to set ride height.
    Drag It!

Not sure if it was mentioned, but why does he have two different length shocks on the front of the truck in the "part 3: spring preload" video?

Nevermind. Just saw it after I closed the ad at the bottom of the screen.

RC Racer
    well the section with the springs was interesting. i did not realize one person can have so many dam springs and that was only 1 drawer. also im looking at the proline powerstroke shocks.

yeah theres alot that can be done with JUST springs. i was looking at building a set of the losi scte 10 shocks using parts from strc so it would be an all aluminum threaded body then on top of that using the mip duel piston setup in it for max adjustability. and if they would work i would run a the proline powerstroke springs. or something similar where i have 2 springs that i can change out individually.
    Drag It!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Losi offers linear springs that are consistent and fit the shocks just fine:
    The URC forum seems to be down. Go there and search "losi spring chart"
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Missed the edit by 5 min... The urc forum came back up. Here is the spring chart:
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17347

just found this, great right up on making your own duel rate springs which is the only nice thing about the powerstroke shocks. this can be done way way cheaper and add in the duel stage piston i was talking about to tune even further!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Spring-Shocks

may have to play with the spring lengths a little since it wasnt a right up for a slash but u get the idea.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Hey Jato,
    I am not sure where you are located but I just found a guy on CL in Denver that closed down his hs last year and has tons of stuff.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Missed the edit by 5 min... The urc forum came back up. Here is the spring chart:
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17347
    thanks well looks like i need to buy some springs. not sure what oil i should go for. i am not sure but i think my shocks are leaking but how i dont know. i built them correct using the instructions yet they seem to lose a bit of oil last time i checked. maybe the stock oil is junk. should i start with 40 wt shock oil and go from there i am gonna be racing indoor carpet track. its gonna be a mix of offroad and onroad but i highly doubt any onroad for me. but 40wt should be a good starting point i think.

i also forgot to add those shock springs fit? 54 bucks in springs i will be getting if they fit. better then spending 140 bucks for the shocks and extra for the spring kit.
    Last edited by jato_builder; 11-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.

RC Racer
    wow after watching those videos. I might be in way over my head.

Anyone know the weight of the stock oil in the 2wd Slash? I am thinking in need to go heavier since I bottom out all the time.

stock weight is 30w. every traxxas vehicle i ever seen has both to soft of springs, and to light of oil. first thing i do on any traxxas rig is to change the shock oil minimum. i wont run less then 40w, but i recomend between 40w-50w and you will be way better off there alone.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    so im gonna get all the springs that i saw on the link that was posted and start with 45 weight shock oil and go from there.

RC Racer
    I am right there with you Jato. I definately need some heavier oil after looking at this thread.

Jato, you dont need all of those springs. Just start somewhere in the middle, and buy 1 rate higher and lower for each of the ft and back. 6 sets to start. You will probably find what you need.
    If you find the hardest ones are not hard enough, pick up the next harder set. Or if to soft vice versa,Will save money that way...

Yes they fit the stock shocks.
    Last edited by rag6; 11-10-2012 at 06:45 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    just found this, great right up on making your own duel rate springs which is the only nice thing about the powerstroke shocks.
    I will add that Powerstroke Shocks don't leak like the stock and Big Bore Traxxas shocks (or am I the only one to have this problem?) and are MUCH easier to bleed. Worth the price though? - that's up for debate.

my friend measured his losi shocks for me. they have a 3.5mm shaft just like the powerstrokes but way cheaper still. so i will go with them before anything.

and ebaneezer, i had big bores on my t-maxx and they worked great. never leaked a drop either.
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    my friend measured his losi shocks for me. they have a 3.5mm shaft just like the powerstrokes but way cheaper still. so i will go with them before anything.

and ebaneezer, i had big bores on my t-maxx and they worked great. never leaked a drop either.
    You'd be my hero if you could tell me your secret to keeping them from leaking. In all honestly that's the main reason I went to Powerstrokes, I was tired of cleaning off all the dirt that accumulates around the base of the shock cap over and over again when they leak. On both my trucks with stock and Big Bore shocks I probably had a leak in 3 out of the 4 shocks each time I did maintenance. I've tried all different recommended ways, but nothing works.

Did you ever rebuild them?

Only time I ever had the ultras leak was from crash damage. My big bores have never leaked... Ever.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Did you ever rebuild them?

Only time I ever had the ultras leak was from crash damage. My big bores have never leaked... Ever.
    No, I haven't rebuilt them, they leaked fresh out of the box (both sets, both of my trucks) and I only have a couple hours on them. My friend's do as well. Perhaps there's some trick I don't know about, but it seems pretty straightforward. I dunno.