RC Champion

Thinking about getting a Rally!

Hey everyone! I am thinking about getting a Rally. I had a Slash 4x4 and I liked it, but eventually sold it. The Rally caught my eye and I like how it's similar to the Slash, but it's lower and a car platform.

I saw the car at my shop recently and then took a look here. I have to get one!

Just wondering, what are some things I need along with the car such as upgrades and spares? Also, what are most people doing as far as getting different tires and rims? I've seen some people go to 17mm hexes and 1/8 buggy tires. How do they compare in size? What 17mm hexes should I get?

I am hoping to order the car soon.

RC Champion
    Pretty much go the same route you went with the slash. Upgrade when it break's. Still a new platform but I'm sure they will release performance based part's soon. ie. proline, AKA manufacture's like that.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    Hey Rob I had a 2WD Slash and went to this platform so the 4x4 is new to me.
    The wheels and tires yet are a bit of a gray area for me because the height of these stockers is about 102mm and that doesn't match up to anything else I have found yet and putting on taller tires is going to begin to raise your ride height which begins to defeat the purpose or an LCG chassis.
    That being said the offset is the same at all four corners so anything you may have had for the Slash 4x4 will go on.
    Might want to decide the majority of use, on or off road and make changes accordingly to satisfy your needs.
    The stock tires are pretty darn nice as are the wheels!

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info guys. I will probably order mine tonight!

RC Champion
    On my Slash I installed the JConcepts under tray and the over tray. Since this is the same chassis as the Slash, will those parts fit? I actually only need the over tray because the Rally's chassis is all smooth underneath.

Let me know!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You have to remember the Rally is meant as a mostly "on the ground" car, its not really patterned after a huge air machine. Im not saying you cant, but if you drive it the way its intended you really shouldnt have any issues with parts other than hitting things at which point you could upgrade. But unlike a slash 4X4 thats designed to get big air and needs STRONG parts, the rally is meant to stay closer to the ground so you likely wont break much.

You should probably look at getting the aluminum slipper bearing adapter... this is a known failure point with this drivetrain. A set of arms probably isnt a bad thing to have in stock, fortunately the fronts and rears are the same so one set will do. I always keep a drive shaft or two in stock. They do wear out. If you get the slipper bearing adapter it comes with a new bearing so you could keep that as a spare.

I have installed integy +6 17mm adapters to run with 1/8 buggy wheels and tires and they are nearly the perfect offset. A set of +3 would be fine too. The buggy tires im running (duratrax derringer) are about 6mm taller than the stock tires. So it only raises the ride height by 3mm... But they have a shorter sidewall than the stock tires so hopefully the handling will be improved a bit.

with that said, the stock tires ARE amazing (I agree with Kwitty). Not really a huge need to upgrade them until you wear them out. Im keeping mine just incase the buggy wheels dont work as I hope they will.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Hey, I am going to order my Rally tonight from Tower.

Quick question, what else should I order with it? What are some upgrades that most people do to the car first?

The one thing I would strongly suggest is the aluminum slipper bearing adapter. Its like, $5... but worth it in a big way.

Other than that, im not really sure there are many weak points on this car if driven as intended.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I will add that to my cart. Is it part #6893X? I will also get the ESC fan.

How about the front hardened steel drive hub #6888X?
    Last edited by RobF353; 11-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.

The front drive hub is already included with the truck. They make it sound like thats an upgraded part but its not.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    O ok because I saw it on the Rally parts list as an option part.

What are good shock to upgrade to? I have the Proline ones on my Slash 4x4. Will those fit and work well on the Rally?

RC Champion
    Picked up my Rally from the shop today!!

I can't wait to get it running tomorrow!

Congrats on getting the Rally! Hope you have fun!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Congrats on getting the Rally! Hope you have fun!
    Thanks, I definitely will!

I have a few 2s lipos already, I might get a 3s soon for it.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Congrats man!! Hope you have a blast with the Rally as many of us have already. Did you happen to pick up the fastest color, orange??
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Congrats man!! Hope you have a blast with the Rally as many of us have already. Did you happen to pick up the fastest color, orange??
    LOL
    10 char
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Haha no, I picked up a blue one.

RC poster
    how do you know if the stock slipper bearing is going out???

RC Enthusiast
    I have the green one and my wife has the orange one. Both are excellent cars. I tried it with 3s LiPo and for street or drift stuff its too much power in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy4130 View Post
    how do you know if the stock slipper bearing is going out???
    Best bet is to pop the rear end off (only 4 bolts) and check the bearing by spinning it with your fingers. If it feels gritty like it has sand in it or is locked up it needs to be replaced.

I've found removing the rubber shield with a hobby knife or needle and packing the bearing full of a high quality marine grease greatly extends the life. If you do this when the bearing is new and after every few weeks / months (depending on how often/where you run) the bearing will very rarely fail. It gets a little messy as the grease oozes out of the bearing over time but it keeps running.