RC Qualifier

2218X Antenna Wire is shorter the 27Mhz antenna Wire is that correct?

I have been reading about different TX's and RX's and the do's and do not's as far as antenna wires etc.
    The 27Mhz Rx that came with my used T-Maxx had a bunch of extra wire that came out of top of Blue antenna Tube and was ran down the outside of tube and held in place by some black Tubes that fit over Blue tube.
    My question is the 2218X RX has a much shorter antenna wire, it still has a metal clip like thing on top of Black Insulated wire along with what appears to be a few inches of Aluminum Wire with no insulation.
    When I replaced the 27Mhz RX with the 2218X and installed the wire in the tube it did not even come to the top only about 3/4 of the way.
    Should I cut the Tube down so the Aluminum end of RX wire actually is able to come out of Tube and run down outside a few inches?
    How long is the Antenna Wire actually supposed to be anyway and how long should the bare wire be that is at the end of antenna wire? I want to be sure it has not be wacked by someone else prior to me.
    I have not found any Adverse reactions or any range Limits though I have not actually attempted to drive vehicle further then 30 yards away from me yet or done a range test further then that either.
    Also on this subject I have seen Some T-Maxx 3.3 Bodies that do not even have an Antenna Hole in them, why would there be T-Maxx Bodies manufactured without antenna Wire holes?
    Don't you need to have the antenna Wire Sticking Straight or as close to straight up and out of the body or can you actually keep the Antenna wire under the body as long as it is not coiled up or in danger of getting eaten by gears etc?

RC Champion
    The 2218x is a 2.4ghz receiver. The part of the exposed wire on the antenna, should be 31.25mm. It's a correct quarterwave length of the 2.4ghz range. Since we are using a radio that is not EXACTLY 2.4 and switches around slightly, 3cm would be fine too, but EXACT would be a nice 31.25mm (3.125cm) and give you the greatest average strength.

You want it sticking straight up, as high as possible to allow you to go as far as possible (through grass, and over slight hills.)

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I will have to Measure it to see how much of the Wire is Exposed exactly (But I think it is actually longer then that 31.25mm is about 1.25") But like i stated I will measure to be sure.
    Thanks for the Info.

RC Qualifier
    wow I must be Misunderstanding you measurements as I just Measured mine and it is at least 23.25 cm.
    Thats from the top of the RX Box to the Tip of the actual Wire that is Down inside the Tube a bit, The 27Hz One actually came out teh top and went back down the side of teh tube about 1/2 way so I would say its length would of been 45 cm or better.

RC Qualifier
    Oh Sorry I just re read and Now I understand what you were talking about,
    you were talking about the metal part only not any of the insulated wire correct?
    ya that part is 3.125 cm exactly on the nose, so I should be good then.

RC Champion
    The part AFTER the metal should be that length. The metal length is the correct length, but the part after it (the tip) needs to be the exact length as well, it is what forms the dipole of the dipole antenna! =)

RC poster
    Krallopian, any chance you know if the metal tube goes over the black coating on the wire, or does it just go over the smaller wire, butting against the black one? My metal tube ripped off, the inner wire appears to be the correct length, making me think the tube just goes over the black part of the wire, tying into the braided shielding at the top, as opposed to the bottom.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    when mine got cut off i just peeled off the same length as the metal tube and left it that way, works the same as it was before the antenna broke off.
    i think the metal tube are there for stiffning even more once its inside the plastic tube antenna.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |

RC poster
    I was digging deeper, and I think you may be right. the spektrum antenna people have used as a replacement, doesnt have the metal tube, but they are claiming it works just as well. I'm thinking I might have actually broken the wire or something, as i have a little over an inch of bare wire, like the pics show, and I still cant drive further than i can throw it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i have a thread about this just abit down below \/\/
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |