Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Pave, That's what i'd do. Let the seamstress cut it and mend it all up. The fabric sealer might work well, never used it. LOL I'd just feel way more confortable about having it stitched up at the cut like that. I'd probably take the car to her to make the necessary measurements and mark it up . JMHO.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Im having all the same thoughts you guys are. Pondering what the best way to deal with this is. I dont own a hot knife... unless by "hot knife" you literally mean a heated butter knife. I can do that (hehe).

I may take it to my wifes mom and see if she can stitch it for me. Shes a seamstress so she should be able to do the job for me. We'll see. weather is crap here so I havent been able to get out and test the 3800 on 2S. Maybe tomorrow if its not raining.
    Any place that cuts nylon rope is likely to have a 'hot knife' hardware store, marina etc
    I think they offer a 'cutter' for some of the soldering guns too

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    The only issues I have ever had not running the nerf bars, was while racing, and another truck would get tied up with mine as it got hung up and intertwined in the suspension and took the turn marshals 30 sec to get the trucks apart. Bashing never had an issue.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Pave, you should know that the problem is not the motor. These 4wd just need 3s or better for the kind of speed you want, I don't think any motor running the same speed on 2s will be any better. BTW I've had the HV4.5 for years. I've ran it in everything from my 2wd Pede to my E-revo. Great motor, but I could not find a sweet spot in the smaller 4wd stuff. It really like 3-4s and that puts it out of it's gearing for them, with the tires I run anyways.

Nice looking ride BTW.

Sand, Ehhhhhhh......
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Just got back from my first run with a whole pile of new stuff.

First of all, the 3800 is great in this car. I had it geared with a 14t pinion and it was too low. Motor was cool to the touch and car was pretty slow. Im going to go up in 2 tooth increments until I find the right balance of speed and temps. The motor runs smooth (not anywhere near as smooth as the novak though) and I got triple the run time of the novak, and still hadnt hit the LVC, I just got too cold and had to give up. So im VERY happy about that.

I also used the HPI Maxxis Trepador tires and am please to report they handle very much like the stock tires. Had to trim a BIT off the wheel wells but had no rubbing during my run which included grass, gravel, smaller jumps and lots of carwheels. I would say these tires dont grip as WELL as the stockers on pavement. But, it is -4c here with icy patches and snow on the pavement and the last time I ran the stock tires it was +10C. So im sure the tires are extra hard and the pavement is extra slippery... these are a good choice though. Id highly reccomend them. They seem to work great in the snow too.

Im underwhelmed with the chassis cover. Yes, it did its job O.K. Kept most of the snow out and the internals were only dusty. But, it did let snow in around the areas where the velcro goes over the nerf bars and due to the differences I guess between the regular 4X4 chassis the cover was designed for and the LCG chassis I have the fit at the front and back is loose so a few rocks did get under it. I really dont like how you have to pull the velcro off to change batteries. I guess its a fine solution for now, but I hope Jconcepts comes out with a chassis cover. I think that would work better and, If I use some material from the cover I have now, I could cut out sections of a lexan cover and place this material in the openings to gain cooling and still get a tight fit. Thats my plan anyway.

Im very happy with the MMP ESC and having the BEC set at 6.5 volts. Noticeable improvement in speed and response with my Savox servo. Im going to try bumping it up to a full 7 volts to see what happens.

Ill get the pics off my phone here at some point and post them up.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Im underwhelmed with the chassis cover. Yes, it did its job O.K. Kept most of the snow out and the internals were only dusty. But, it did let snow in around the areas where the velcro goes over the nerf bars and due to the differences I guess between the regular 4X4 chassis the cover was designed for and the LCG chassis I have the fit at the front and back is loose so a few rocks did get under it. I really dont like how you have to pull the velcro off to change batteries. I guess its a fine solution for now, but I hope Jconcepts comes out with a chassis cover. I think that would work better and, If I use some material from the cover I have now, I could cut out sections of a lexan cover and place this material in the openings to gain cooling and still get a tight fit. Thats my plan anyway.
    Would stuffing a piece of an old rag or clothing in the front of the shrould help out any? Then maybe zip tying that for a tight fit. Same with the nerf bar area. At least something as a fix during the winter months and until a shroud specified for this car is available or like you said one from JConcepts. I really like your idea of using pieces from the shroud for air movement. Another idea as stated early, would taking the nerf bars off until spring and mounting the velcro along the chassis would that help out any?

Im very happy with the MMP ESC and having the BEC set at 6.5 volts. Noticeable improvement in speed and response with my Savox servo. Im going to try bumping it up to a full 7 volts to see what happens.
    I thought the Savox was only rated at 6.0v. I believe your Rx can sustain a voltage up to 7.4v correct?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Cali found my Rally today. My wife brought our daughter out while I was running. I let her "steer" (not really) and she liked it. But was scared of the car if it was moving. She loved it once it was turned off in the house.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    She looks like she wants to test out the durability for you!!!!
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

BTW... carrying a kid while your driving adds a whole new dimension to the experience. Talk about getting your exercise with your RC. Hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Dont worry, it wont be long before you dont have to flip your cars back over. Kids just love helping dad!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Today I went back out on the ice. But the snow had melted yesterday and re-frozen so the lake was glare ice. It wasent as much fun as yesterday when there was some snow. So I moved over to a tennis court across the road. Unfortunately I missed a shift (so to speak) and hit the wall. Hehe. Broke a rear carrier. FIRST failure so far but it was -10 out so plastic was pretty brittle. Cant complain about that at all.

I did gear the car up to a 16t pinion and man, what a difference that made. Its pretty much perfect now. Top speed is more than adequate, temps are good, but at -10 ambient I wasnt expecting them to rise very fast. The power of the 3800 on 2S is perfect for this car and the way I drive it.

I did a GPS speed run with the 16t pinion and got 38.8mph. I know i could pull an 18t pinion and go over 40 NO problem but its just not necessary. I have to be light on the throttle as it is now or the car is too fast to drift controllably.

I also removed the side nerf bars and put some more velcro in their place and the outerwears cover fit WAY better.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Dont worry, it wont be long before you dont have to flip your cars back over. Kids just love helping dad!
    Exactly why my first born will be named Marshall... hahaha
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

Did a bunch of work on the 'Ol rally the past week or so. Did a full Platinum conversion, installed a set of GRP tires... things are looking good.

Platinum treatment: Castors, f/r carriers, f/r sway bars, Big bores, centre diff.

Summer street setup:

Snow setup:

I dont like the buggy wheels in the dirt... but I think theyll work pretty good in the snow.

I filled the centre diff with Ofna diff lock "fluid". Crappiest job ever. But its SUPER tight. I think it will give just enough slip, but not too much.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Nice man, let us know how that center diff works out for ya. Yet to install mine.

Those GRP's and wheels look pretty good with that body man! Looks like you got some BB shocks on there to
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Enthusiast
    That GRP setup looks KILLER !! What type of wheels are those in the lower pic?

Looks Great Pave. love that paint scheme.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

King headz mount came in this morning, it'll be going on tonight.
    Yay.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

King headz mount came in this morning, it'll be going on tonight.
    Yay.
    Nice!! When did yours ship? Mine shipped last Wednesday. Man I hope to get mine today.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

King Headz mount installed:

One of the most invisible but worth while upgrades you can do to a vehicle like this IMO.

Digger, I ordered mine on December 27th. Arrived today. Thats fast for Canada.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Looks good man. The postman dropped the kingheadz mount in the bread box today to. Yay! I also picked up the bearing adapter.

Hope to install it later tonight.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

No need for the adapter with the centre diff... but I have one also if i was to go back to the slipper.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

No need for the adapter with the centre diff... but I have one also if i was to go back to the slipper.
    Oh that's right you are running the center diff. I forgot I was running the Traxxas alloy bearing adapter already. Ah well a spare. You got extra bearings and i have extra adapters. Funny!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Haha... yeah.... what did you say to me? Having spares of spares is always good. Or something close to that. I agree.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    When I ordered the KH mount on the 27th of December I also ordered an extra bearing, I thought. Turn's out I double clicked the number 1 and got 11. I'll have these thing's forever now. LOL. I also bought 9 last year from Amain, don't remember the company,but they were cheap so I figured what the heck I'll get a few extra. Now I have a total of 24 bearing's for my Kingheadz mount in my slash 4x4 and my Rally. Oh well.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Enthusiast
    I'm considering the kh mount, based on what I've read here, if I'm running mine with a slipper installed will I need a bearing adapter as well? If so can someone post a link?

Quote Originally Posted by b1gair View Post
    I'm considering the kh mount, based on what I've read here, if I'm running mine with a slipper installed will I need a bearing adapter as well? If so can someone post a link?
    It's a good upgrade. What happens is when the stock bearing heats up it can/ will melt the stock plastic one. You have a couple of choices either go with the Traxxas one or the King Headz one. I know the King Headz is made from 7075 Billet Aluminum, so probably the better choice of the 2. Link and part numbers below.

<<< KHZ-TRX-6893 >>>

<<< TRA6893X >>>
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Decided I hadnt done enough to the rally lately so I bought one of those AXIS RC chassis/body braces. Should look decent under the hood. Im contemplating aluminum shock towers for this car as it rarely gets crashed hard. The brace will help stiffen things up for sure, but aluminum towers will help even more.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    no doubt the aluminum shock towers stiffen things up and with the brace you bought it even stiffen the chassis too. my center shaft hardly have no scratch since my brace is installed. my brace cost me $5 for 2 feet long solid aluminum tube at home depot lol.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Competitor
    Have u gotten the brace yet? Was thinking of buying one but would like some feedback first. I also found this one (link below) but it doesn't look as beefy as the axis brace. Any input thoughts would be great. Thank you in advance.

Link to cheaper Brace.
    http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/store...SIS+BRACE+CONV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Decided I hadnt done enough to the rally lately so I bought one of those AXIS RC chassis/body braces. Should look decent under the hood. Im contemplating aluminum shock towers for this car as it rarely gets crashed hard. The brace will help stiffen things up for sure, but aluminum towers will help even more.
    Photos????

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    When I ordered the KH mount on the 27th of December I also ordered an extra bearing, I thought. Turn's out I double clicked the number 1 and got 11. I'll have these thing's forever now. LOL. I also bought 9 last year from Amain, don't remember the company,but they were cheap so I figured what the heck I'll get a few extra. Now I have a total of 24 bearing's for my Kingheadz mount in my slash 4x4 and my Rally. Oh well.
    If you got toooo many bearings, I'll take a couple off your hands . That is, when I get the kings mount. By the way, love your quote. I'm in the military, but would love a reverse situation where the wife was in the military and I was at home instead... I'd be able to drive rc's a little more often... . Don't get me wrong, not saying that that is your situation, but in the case of mine, the wife don't work, just me, so I'd easily enjoy her being the bread winner and me playing games and rc's while kids were at school.

Joe

Just decided to pick up a new rally body. Got it on e-bay with a few other purchases.

But its green...

Im going to put my LEDs on it and keep it nice and shiny for my on-road body... ill run my blue on off road.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Hey pave...

Very nice ride, as everyone has already mentioned. I have a couple questions. I was looking at shocks, as we discussed in a PM, there are shocks from the new slash platinum with the LCG chassis, so I wonder if those are the better ones to get, vice just a set of the big bore? Is there a difference, or is the LCG big bores the only ones that work?

My other question has to do with the King Headz mount, I think I purchased the wrong one. Is the mount the same for the slash? Cus the one I ordered does have the telemetry slot, but doesn't look exactly like the one you have in the photo. I hope I can catch the guy before he ships.

Joe
    "Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

RC Racer
    Dang.... Never mind about the king headz mount. Won't fit... Definitely different. Does anyone need a king headz mount for a slash 4x4? 35.00 shipped? Or trade for a rally one with telemetry. Daggumit. I guess the new rally is not completely interchangeable with the slash components or vice versa.

PooooooooP. Now I'll have a brand new 3s Lipo coming I won't even use and a mount I can't use.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BASH N SLASH View Post
    Very nice ride, as everyone has already mentioned. I have a couple questions. I was looking at shocks, as we discussed in a PM, there are shocks from the new slash platinum with the LCG chassis, so I wonder if those are the better ones to get, vice just a set of the big bore? Is there a difference, or is the LCG big bores the only ones that work?
    Check my build thread i'm using the GTR shocks from the new Slash 4x4 LCG. They are comparable to the Losi Ten-T's. A very good upgrade over the current Big Bores. Hope this helps ya.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Real quick update. Got my Axis RC chassis brace in the mail today. Im out for the night but will hopefully get time tomorrow to install it. Ill post up some pics when I do.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Pave,

We may have been looking at the same body on eBay...lol

I wanted a green Rally with the green wheels and all, but couldn't pass up the deal on the blue rally I found. The son loves green, so I usually shoot for some type of green on my bodies. It helps get the little guy more interested when its a color he likes.

Simple how us boys are wired...

Dad: "So who's your favorite race car driver??"
    Son: "The green car"
    Dad: "ok... But which one?"
    Son: "that one... No wait, that one... Uh, I like them all!"
    Dad: "sure thing buddy"
    Son: "which I your favorite dad?"
    Dad: "the Chevy"
    Last edited by BASH N SLASH; 02-02-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Heres my update on the install of the Axis Chassis brace.
    First, its a very nicely built piece and its very light. But the aluminum parts have lots of marks on them like they were in a bin with other parts and got slightly dinged up. Its not a huge deal, but they arent as nicely finished as say, an FLM or REM part. Other than that, the brace is nicely packaged and there was nothing missing.

The only thing you need to do to prepare for install is remove the rear body mount. Then set the brace ends over the small raised areas on the shock towers and drop in the little bushings:

Then re-install your rear body mount using the new screws provided and, using the washers provided, install the screws through the bushings and into the shock tower on the front. You could probably use your rear body mount screws on the front. The screws they provided for the front are super long. But they do work.

The only thing that needs to be adjusted once the brace is installed is your body mount post height. I lowered mine only one notch to compensate for the extra height of the brace under the body mount. Seemed to be pretty close to how it was before.

The brace works with my dusty motors chassis cover and it definitely adds a huge amount of rigidity to the entire chassis. I can definitely see how a set of aluminum shock towers will help even more. I have an STRC set of towers on their way.

Im very pleased with this product. For the money, it could probably have come with a nicer finish, but it does do what it promises to do and even with the plastic shock towers, I really think it will improve chassis rigidity and overall durability of the car.
    I didnt end up using the foam body support block as it needs to be fitted to the body (its currently too long) and I just didnt really see the necessity. I may install it later on but for now im leaving it off.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 02-02-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Pavementsurfer is this a must with a rally?
    Is that a weakness with the lcg
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Pave,

Lookin good bro! Quick question... Number 127 - does that cover over your chassis cause heat issues with motor/ESC? Also, is there potential for it to melt when touching the hot electronics?

Thanks

Joe