RC Qualifier

Okay, Get Your Wallets Ready!

I stopped by AreoMarine today to see Rem Junior, and guess what he showed me...you'll never guess in a hundred million years! You guyz ain't no fun. How the heck did you guyz guess it was a prototype wire drive and it's insert. Anyway, he has made several sets, and has sent them to his distributors for testing and feedback. I have to say, they were very nice, and as soon as I hear anymore; I'll let you all know.

RC Qualifier
    That's a good news, how much is it?
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    I didn't ask, but I can the next time I'm there.

RC Champion
    I am about to upgrade at least two of my Spartans, so I would be interested when their wire drive might be available to the public....

Thanks for the info and keep us posted...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Cool that they have decided to do both a coupler and wire drive.
    Hog

RC Qualifier
    very nice, good news! Hopefully I will never need it though, my .187 mod has been running great. But its always good to have more options out there for the spartan.

RC Qualifier
    can someone please explain to me what mod this is or thats being made?i am new and looking for every upgrade so i have tons of fun.doing the mods and playing with the spartan

RC Qualifier
    It's the wire drive, typically called flexible wire in the Spartan, the .150 is for the stock wire drive while a .187 is an upgraded wire for 3S usage.

RC Qualifier
    ok ty and is this part being made or can i buy one?is it a good upgrade

RC Qualifier
    This made by Jeffwholts, .187 is an upgrade, you need are those listed below.
    1. .187 flex cable
    2. Aeromarine coupler or Octura Coupler for .187
    3. Stock copper tube without Teflon liner or upgraded .187 tube with Teflon liner.

RC Qualifier
    If you want to run a.187 with a teflon liner I reccomend going with a 9/32'' stuffing tube with a reduced 1/4'' end to fit the exit. If not, the .187 is probably fine in a 1/4'' stuffing tube.

RC Qualifier
    jetnfast where do i get the stuffing tube i need? and whats the part number please.this is my first boat and i want to make it as bullet proof as possible.it will be here tomorrow and i already have the dual water inlet kit with the can for the motor.i know how i am on my erevos and i'll prob be the same way on the spartan.

RC Qualifier
    Check out kintec racing or red rocket hobbies (both online). You will need to order the 9/32'' stuffing tube that has a 1/4'' end. It will include the liner as well.

RC Qualifier
    ok thank you.i ordered the .187 cable and the 9/32 to 1/4" stuffing tube,octura x442 prop waterproof foam for the hatch and lower break away bolt for the rudder and a octura 5mm to .187 coupler.thats all i need right? is there a bullet prop nut for the 10/32" nut

RC Qualifier
    Yes that sounds like a complete list. I dont reccomend a bullet nut on any FE setup. Yes they look nice, but after losing too many expensive props because they simply couldnt stay on, I went with a $0.10 10/32'' locknut from ace hardware which hasnt failed me yet. If you are dead set on a bullet nut you could always use the locknut behind the prop then slip on a bullet nut.

RC Qualifier
    ok jetnfast i do thank you a lot for you help.i did order 2 bullet nuts but i also listen to advise from others who have done it before me and i don't want to lose my prop i will just use the 10/32 locking nut that come with it.also i have a question.i took out the stock cable and greased it well and there is a gap between the brass piece behind the prop and the other blue piece the cable slides threw.i guess my question is how much space should there be between those 2 pieces?

RC Qualifier
    About a quarter of an inch. The reason for this is; the cable will twist and un-twist during normal operation. When it twists, the cable becomes a little bit shorter. If you didn't have a reasonable gap there, the cable would bind and eventually fail.

RC Qualifier
    As already suggested by others, If you want to run a bullet nut, use it in conjunction with a locking nut.

That is the setup I use, Locking nut, then bullet nut. I also use some blue locktite on the threads for additional security.

I've never lost a prop, with the exception being snapping a cable, and the prop and stub shaft manage to fall out.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 04-29-2013 at 12:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    ok that's about how much of a gap i have.just wanted to make sure i installed it properly.

RC Qualifier
    when i change to the .187/3/16 cable do i need to change the strut or bearings?also if i do is it worth putting in the boca bearings? which boca bearing should i use if i do change to bearings

RC Qualifier
    The .187 cable will fit through the stock bushings/bearings.

Changing out bearings or bushings will not be required, so any upgrades will be of your choosing.

hog

RC Qualifier
    but will the boca bearings last longer then the bushings? what about the motor bushings.should i upgrade them to boca bearings too?

RC Qualifier
    I haven't run bearings in the strut, so can't provide feedback on how they perform. A few Spartan owners have and hopefully they will chime in. You may want to start a new heading specific to strut bearings to draw attention to your query, or use the search function, it has been discussed here previously.

I run stock bushings, they do wear eventually, but the struts are inexpensive to replace.

The motor is already running bearings.

hog

RC Qualifier
    i think mine has bushings.atleast the instructions say to use lube on them.and i'll just buy a spare strut in case anything happens.i just like having parts upgraded that'll last longer and or have spare parts on all my Rc's in case anything breaks while i'm out playing since i don't get a chance to but maybe 1 day a week

RC Racer
    YES. I used the TRA5727x strut with the stock Traxxas bearings and they lasted about 3 runs, before i sheered the prop and destroy the motor and strut bearings. I then replaced them with Boca Bearings' Ceramic Hybrid (Orange Seal) bearing, both in the strut and my Leopard 4082, and they are much smoother. I cannot use metal bearings in salt water, so ceramic was really my best option. plus I don;t have to worry about greasing the bushings, only the flex shaft part that sits in the stuffing tube.

Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    but will the boca bearings last longer then the bushings? what about the motor bushings.should i upgrade them to boca bearings too?

RC Qualifier
    ok cool thanks for your help i haven't run in salt water yet but i know summer coming up i will be atleast a few times a year.