RC Champion

tuning question on my bandit

ok so i have my bandit. has 35 amp esc and 3000kv finned motor(same system that jang reviewed), 84 spur, 23pinion, punch set at default which is 7, timing set at default which is 15degrees, and i run 2s 4000mah 40c lipos. im thinkin about dropping my punch a few notches to like 5 and upping my pinion to maybe a 25tooth. anyone know how this will affect runtime, temps, etc. im sure lowering my punch will be easier on my brushless system but putting in a pinion a few teeth bigger is suppose to add a little strain on it too. so will it kinda even out? also my motor temps never exceed 135 and esc temps have never exceeded 95 degrees. will this change benefit me and increase performance?

I'm not too familiar with that motor, but an 84-tooth spur seems kinda big for the Bandit. Stock is 76-tooth, so you may be way under geared at this point.

RC Champion
    stock 76 for the brushed xl5 or vxl brushless?

Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    stock 76 for the brushed xl5 or vxl brushless?
    I believe both are. I know for sure that by buddy's VXL came with a 76 spur and 26 pinion. The VXL motor is 3500kv I believe, so in theory a 3000kv motor should need an even bigger pinion. So you are more than likely way under-geared.

RC Champion
    my motor is also smaller than the velineon motor that comes with the vxl. mine is a 380 size(not including the fins) and the velineon is a 540 size

Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    my motor is also smaller than the velineon motor that comes with the vxl. mine is a 380 size(not including the fins) and the velineon is a 540 size

Yeah, that's the part I'm not sure about. All the motors I've used in my Bandit were 540 cans.

RC Champion
    i think i may be safe if i run lower punch with a 25tooth pinion. my spur is a little on the large side.

RC Champion
    went to a 25 pinion and dropped my punch to 5 and temps were the same. it was hard to tell if the performance really changed. maybe a little more top end if any.