RC Competitor

What radio should i get

I was thinking about TQi, but i don't know? I would put it in a rustler vxl for bashing. any thoughts?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Keeping it Traxxas... TQ LINK.
    Slightly older version, but cheaper.
    Since it seems you don't really want/care about all the telemetry/iDevice stuff.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Other brands with a screen make changes easy. Instead of having to navigate through settings with a book. Your options are displayed I front of you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    if you don't need telemetry I would recommend a flysky FS-GT3B, it's like $40 new and additional receivers are $7, it has 10 model memory and a big beautiful LCD, I figured out how to use all the features without looking at the instruction manual, and named all my RC's with 3 letter codes (emx, rev, rly...) I haven't messed with it much but you can set the throttle end point to any percent, so I was going to try lowering it down to 40% so a 5 year old can drive my RC's with a 3s lipo...
    I like turtles.

RC Qualifier
    DX3S, best radio I have ever bought, but not sure if port holes are big enough to fit all of traxxas' connectors that go into the RX. Best bet, TQi because I am 100% positive the connectors will fit into the RX
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

My main radios are the Futaba 3pl's for about $110. I do have a flysky like the one mentioned above and I can vouch for it and the super-cheap receivers.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    I can confirm the flysky is great. It's so easy to use that my 4 year old son can even set the thing up. Tqi is nice but honestly only have one for my 1/10 summit.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I love the futabas also. I have a 2pl

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    My main radios are the Futaba 3pl's for about $110. I do have a flysky like the one mentioned above and I can vouch for it and the super-cheap receivers.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    I also use the flysky mentioned above and I love the LCD screen but hate having to use 8 aa batteries so I just got rechargeable ones
    E-Maxx kershaw 700`s 4x2 slash 4x4 slash vxl

Quote Originally Posted by bondjr00797 View Post
    I also use the flysky mentioned above and I love the LCD screen but hate having to use 8 aa batteries so I just got rechargeable ones
    That's a good point. You can spend a lot on 8 aa's vs. 4 over the course of a radio lifespan.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I run an airtronics MT4 and have the option to use some telemetry if I want. I don't use those options much though. The rest of the radio is simply excellent though and it can be setup to run the 4ch summit no problem. For the money, it's a great radio. Not the cheapest, but worth every penny IMO.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I also suggest the Futaba 3PL. Its a really nice radio with a decent price. Here is a review of it and the Older Traxxas TQ 2.4.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-ra...tter-shootout/
    Oderint Dum Metuant

I use a tactic 224, simple radio, no antenna on the rx, and only needs four AAs. Range is more than adequate I had my rustler out around 600 ft and it was just fine, so I know it can go far enough for me.

Here is a link to one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactic-TTX24...item4606972f0a
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Competitor
    What is the best one for the price

RC Competitor
    I love my flysky gt3c. And it has a rechargeable lipo in it instead of the AA bats. And uses the same reciever as the gt3b mentioned above.

RC poster
    iMy Gt3b is a dud only get 30 feet of range on both of my recivers. My vote is the futaba 3pl or the traxxas TQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    +1 on the Tactic 224. We have 3 of them and they work flawlessly. No Rx antenna and they work just fine inside Traxxas waterproof box.

On top of all that, a few weeks after we bought them my son accidentally broke off the Tx antenna. I called for a replacement and they sent me an entire Tx unit without the main board for parts. Who does that?
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

RC Champion
    I hv the tq 2.4 link , I don't no if the rest of the others ones hv the build end , when the transmitter loses single with the receiver it shuts down , like the tq 2.4 has no run away .
    Last edited by rhardy60; 11-05-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    I had the original 2 channel 27 mhz on my XL5 Bandit, after going brushless I went to a Flysky GT3-C, used it for 4 runs before it shut off and wouldn't turn itself on again! Took it back to the shop and went for the new Traxxas TQi 4 channel with dock so if i want to test speed etc later I can with the extra bits . Very happy with the TQi 4 channel. Was looking at the Spektrums but know a few that have had range probs with them among other things. Up to what you want to spend really!

Apparently the new TQi can automatically learn your traxxas models up to a fair few. No antenna to snap off and the range is awesome!.
    Last edited by Stach35; 11-05-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DGarand99 View Post
    What is the best one for the price
    If you're on a budget, go with a TQi, if not get a Futaba. My futaba's work well with my castle and velineon equipment, the TQi works better with TRX equipment.

Flysky's work but are a bit funky. Yes you can use a lipo in them as mentioned above, but have to buy it yourself. You can also get a lipo for the futaba and probably the TRX.

RC Competitor
    Actually, the fs gt3c comes with the lipo in it.

And my buddy is having range issues with his spektrum as well...he was talking about switching over to the tqi this weekend. Not sure what he is going to do though.

RC Racer
    I have no probs recommending the TQi 4 channel 2.4ghz system. If $$ isnt an issue go for the Futaba!