Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wilke View Post
    Yes on the spelling, and as a general rule, I try not to breathe in any chemicals period
    Good idea. I try to use dawn dish soap instead whenever I can.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Good idea. I try to use dawn dish soap instead whenever I can.
    Yeah you can't beat dish soap for general cleaning. I won't go into too much detail but I fixed a frozen brushed motor (Frank's motor lol) with dishsoap, water, and a hairdryer yesterday
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah you can't beat dish soap for general cleaning. I won't go into too much detail but I fixed a frozen brushed motor (Frank's motor lol) with dishsoap, water, and a hairdryer yesterday
    Frozen? You mean burnt out?

RC Racer
    Frozen? You mean burnt out?
    No, its was somewhat dead. Troubleshot it to the motor. Hand spun the rotor a few times and It ran for a few seconds and stopped again. Soaked in hot soapy water while turning the rotor, then a thorough rinse followed by the hairdryer. Had a little bit of debris in the water which may have been the culprit. Put it back in and good as new!
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    No, its was somewhat dead. Troubleshot it to the motor. Hand spun the rotor a few times and It ran for a few seconds and stopped again. Soaked in hot soapy water while turning the rotor, then a thorough rinse followed by the hairdryer. Had a little bit of debris in the water which may have been the culprit. Put it back in and good as new!
    Sweet. Ca't wait to see frankenpede when hes done.

RC Qualifier
    You know Greg I think I get what you are trying to do. An old memory just can back to me as I was reading this thread (or flashback) lol. I can't remember when it was, if I was just a kid or what. I had a similar project were I had a toy that I wanted to be beat up to the point of not working, but still work. I hope I can recall what it was, but I get it!

Sent from Oser world

RC Racer
    Update Thanksgiving (11/22)

While I was able to revive the 12t Titan, I think it's toast. Running it today and it's power was very weak, about 1/2 speed as normal. Couldn't even wheelie. Double checked gear mesh, slipper clutch, ESC settings, etc. No dice. 2 fresh batteries ran through with the same results. Oh well. I kind of want to get a peppy 15t to throw in it to see how it does....we'll see.

Damage report. Broke the chassis, again. By again I mean I broke the original chassis which was repaired with jb weld. Luckily zip ties held it in place and there was no loss of performance outside of some impromptu steering trim I'll post pics tomorrow.

Still have much to do to the body as well as cosmetic "flawing" to other chassis parts. I was thinking of running over the body with my car a few times, what do you think?
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Update Thanksgiving (11/22)

While I was able to revive the 12t Titan, I think it's toast. Running it today and it's power was very weak, about 1/2 speed as normal. Couldn't even wheelie. Double checked gear mesh, slipper clutch, ESC settings, etc. No dice. 2 fresh batteries ran through with the same results. Oh well. I kind of want to get a peppy 15t to throw in it to see how it does....we'll see.

Damage report. Broke the chassis, again. By again I mean I broke the original chassis which was repaired with jb weld. Luckily zip ties held it in place and there was no loss of performance outside of some impromptu steering trim I'll post pics tomorrow.

Still have much to do to the body as well as cosmetic "flawing" to other chassis parts. I was thinking of running over the body with my car a few times, what do you think?
    Sounds like a perfect idea.

RC Racer
    Whoops!

Still works though hehe

Tomorrow, I'm going to accidentally drive over the body a few times, I'll try to get video of it
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    Repaired chassis by drilling into the bulkhead and behind the servo and running 2 zip ties through. VERY strong and stable repair.

Repaired a broken body post using part of a shock tower, a dremel, and 2 screws. Solid!

Currently in between coats of paint on the body Also cut out a panel on the body and drilled some holes for the twine to "sew" it up. I'll post more pics when the body is dry...
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Just bumping this up since its suc a cool project!

RC Racer
    Thanks Upbasher! I'm overdue for an update anyways

Did a little more body work. Cut out a panel, painted it and drilled holes. It lines up perfectly just not sitting there...
    Was going to use twine but it's too frayed. I think I'm going to to use twisted hobby wire to "sew" it and other panels on. Also have some detail painting to do to make it look worse

Painted the hood, however the masking tape I used didn't adhere as well as I would have liked. But then again if it looks crappy then it fits this truck!

Since the Titan 12t has been performing poorly (it's dying) I was thinking about a brushless swap, what do you think? Either that or look at a 17t or 19t motor to throw in it. Also have an extra 2.4 radio...would love to not have to extract an antenna when using this one

Up next...
    More body work. Cutting more panels out. "Sewing" panels. Detail painting and "rusting" effects.
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Just go crazy with the scissors and cut the body in a hundred pieces. Use duct tape on the smaller peces and wire on the bigger ones. And definitely make it brushless. Theres always training mode if the half broken parts can't handle it.

RC Racer
    Just go crazy with the scissors and cut the body in a hundred pieces. Use duct tape on the smaller peces and wire on the bigger ones. And definitely make it brushless. Theres always training mode if the half broken parts can't handle it.
    You just want to see duct tape on this thing lol
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    You just want to see duct tape on this thing lol
    Yes I do. You can't have a frankenpede without at least SOME duct tape....

RC Racer
    Ok "sewed" the panel on, I think it looks pretty decent, going to do many more

Getting ugly!
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I think this thing is begging for some flat black paint on the outside somewhere... preferably somewhere it will get all scraped off when your roll it. Maybe the roof and nose or something. I always think the MOST ghetto looking trucks are the ones someone tried to paint from teh outside.

Funny thing, I have a buddy who had a stampede and his was not that far off of the condition yours is in now, but he wasnt trying to keep it in bad shape... thats just how he drove it. He literally drove the truck with the rear chassis brace broken off for 2 days, 4 packs. He drove for weeks with the front of the chassis broken off and just the servo and front brace holding it together. The problem, as your finding out, is even a broken pede is a strong pede.

I was thinking about your tire/wheel dilemma. Since the truck is 2X4 you can easily run different diameter tires on the front VS the rear. It wont hurt performance at all and handling will likely not be hurt any more than it already is with all the messed up parts. Plus, it will look sweet with one end sitting lower than the other.

I think you should spray paint the wheels for sure. The chrome is way too nice. And, just a thought, you should do your "body work" to the older style pede body you have. The older bodies just look more ghetto IMO, no matter what condition they are in.

I literally JUSt did a huge broken parts purge here. I had so much stuff you could have used. I keep everything for some reason. If I find anything good, ill send it off to you.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I think this thing is begging for some flat black paint on the outside somewhere... preferably somewhere it will get all scraped off when your roll it. Maybe the roof and nose or something. I always think the MOST ghetto looking trucks are the ones someone tried to paint from teh outside.

Funny thing, I have a buddy who had a stampede and his was not that far off of the condition yours is in now, but he wasnt trying to keep it in bad shape... thats just how he drove it. He literally drove the truck with the rear chassis brace broken off for 2 days, 4 packs. He drove for weeks with the front of the chassis broken off and just the servo and front brace holding it together. The problem, as your finding out, is even a broken pede is a strong pede.

I was thinking about your tire/wheel dilemma. Since the truck is 2X4 you can easily run different diameter tires on the front VS the rear. It wont hurt performance at all and handling will likely not be hurt any more than it already is with all the messed up parts. Plus, it will look sweet with one end sitting lower than the other.

I think you should spray paint the wheels for sure. The chrome is way too nice. And, just a thought, you should do your "body work" to the older style pede body you have. The older bodies just look more ghetto IMO, no matter what condition they are in.

I literally JUSt did a huge broken parts purge here. I had so much stuff you could have used. I keep everything for some reason. If I find anything good, ill send it off to you.
    Yeah I have to get more paint this weekend and black will definitely be included! . The red I used on the hood is actually flat paint. You just gave me an idea lol, I should tie the body to my 1:1 car's bumper and drive around a while with it dragging around the pavement.

I actually could have gone without reinforcing the front chassis (and did drive it a while when it was broken) but I'm kind of particular about steering straight

I do have some other wheels/tires I got from another forum member I will have to put on for some trial work and if anything else photo ops.

And yeah, I keep broken things (RC stuff anyways) And obviously for this build it's a must. Thanks pavementsurfer!

Hows this for wheels now? better?

Last edited by Greg Wilke; 11-30-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah I have to get more paint this weekend and black will definitely be included! . The red I used on the hood is actually flat paint. You just gave me an idea lol, I should tie the body to my 1:1 car's bumper and drive around a while with it dragging around the pavement.

I actually could have gone without reinforcing the front chassis (and did drive it a while when it was broken) but I'm kind of particular about steering straight

I do have some other wheels/tires I got from another forum member I will have to put on for some trial work and if anything else photo ops.

And yeah, I keep broken things (RC stuff anyways) And obviously for this build it's a must. Thanks pavementsurfer!

Hows this for wheels now? better?

Much better!!!!!! Pave is right. You should use the older style bodies.

RC Racer
    I got a new alum. Bulkhead so if you need a stock plastic one let me know

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin01020 View Post
    I got a new alum. Bulkhead so if you need a stock plastic one let me know
    Sure, can never have too many parts
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Thats sweet... the wheels are perfect. This thing is shaping up nicely, or not nicely... or whatever.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Haha thanks, getting there!
    Gave Frank a brushless and 2.4ghz upgrade today. No more Titan, no more AM radio system
    He REALLY likes it

2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Awesome. Did you drive it yet with the vxl?

RC Racer
    Of course! Even broke a steering block (which had been repaired before) during my gymnastics tryouts when Frank did about 8 front flips after landing off a big jump, on pavement. What a trooper. Today I ran it with Nimh packs just for fun, tomorrow Lipo. Hopefully when it's too dark to bash I can do more body work
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Paint the radio box. That would look awesome.

RC Racer
    Had some fun today, including a sweet rotating front flip and reverse table top at the skatepark
    After a few runs I turned it back on for another and the servo started twitching..

You can watch this with any media player, just click on it

Troubleshot it to a bad servo, need more parts!
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Yep more than likely a bad servo. Maybe it got water in it somehow? It can happen even though it is supposedly waterproof.

RC Racer
    Possible. Taking it apart now In the meantime I'm looking for an extra servo or 2, or 3...
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Possible. Taking it apart now In the meantime I'm looking for an extra servo or 2, or 3...
    What kind you want?

RC Racer
    2056, 2075 or "other"
    Found out the culprit WAS water. Took servo completely apart, cleaned the contacts and was able to get the twitch under control with some delicate steering trim. Going to re-assemble and see how it goes....

Edit*

Put back together and...it works! Love fixing things
    Last edited by Greg Wilke; 12-02-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    2056, 2075 or "other"
    Found out the culprit WAS water. Took servo completely apart, cleaned the contacts and was able to get the twitch under control with some delicate steering trim. Going to re-assemble and see how it goes....

Edit*

Put back together and...it works! Love fixing things
    Awesome. I only have two 2075s and I use them for projects anyway.

RC Racer
    No worries. I fixed the one on Frank and have some back-ups headed my way.
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    Hope I get some bearings for X-mas. Bushings aren't as much fun
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Hope I get some bearings for X-mas. Bushings aren't as much fun
    Whoa dude, your still running bushings???? You gotta get bearings....bushings are just an insult to a brushless motor.

RC Racer
    Yeah lol I know. *Hopefully I get some bearings for X-mas Remember it started as an XL-5. And I'm still using Nimh in this thing lol

* Bearings was on my X-mas list, hopefully the GF pulls through
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Haha. You HAVE to get lipos too. It makes a big difference in power just when going to a 2s.
    You can pick them up really cheap on ebay.

RC Qualifier
    just drive it onto the freeway when you hear horns and skidding RUN

RC Racer
    @ Skye lol

@ upbasher I've got some Lipo's I use in my other 'pede, but I've got Nimh's also. Not sure why I'm still using them...
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    @ Skye lol

@ upbasher I've got some Lipo's I use in my other 'pede, but I've got Nimh's also. Not sure why I'm still using them...
    I'm not sure either!