Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Wilke's Frankenpede *Help wanted!*

Hello, my name is Greg Wilke and I need your help.

I am building a Stampede but not like most builds. Instead of new and upgraded parts I am going to use only broken and damaged and ugly parts. Hence Frankenpede. I have made only 1 rule for my build, no new parts. How can you help? 2 ways.

1. I would like ideas, suggestions, input, and tips to help make this the ugliest "I can't believe this thing runs"-Pede.

2. I need broken parts. I can only break so many with my daily and abusive bashing See my marketplace post for more info please.

Day 1. Only aftermarket part is an RPM bumper, and willl be THE ONLY aftermarket part on there aside from a wheelie bar (for obvious reasons)

A week or so later...broken front turnbuckle, front chassis brace, and servo case

Broken front chassis brace fixed with zip ties and electrical tape (broke into MANY pieces)

Did some body work with drywall tape and shoe goo. But the body is still way too pretty still..

Almost 2 months later (and I'm not easy on my truck) And still looks way too good. Other than a bent caster block and servo saver, no new noticable damage.

Some zip ties, glue, and velcro and a few adjustments later and still 100% functional, but NOWHERE NEAR done. I want this thing to be ugly. I want to sew together a body from 4 or 5 broken bodies. I want mismatched colored parts. I want bent and broken arms, towers, links etc etc. And I want the truck to run like day 1. So far so good Please help!!!! Thank you,

Greg Wilke

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Good project man!! I'd like to see 4 different tires. Talking way ugly ones that are worn out, maybe some rips. I checked your thread in the MP. I'll have to see what I got. I know I kept some of the parts for a little while.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Great idea, as long as they were even on level surface. Let me know what you have, thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I Would take it apart and start spray painting each part a different color. Maybe not every part, but maybe the arms and springs, possibly the bumper. I would even staple body pieces over the top of another body instead of sewing multiple bodies together because I think it would be difficult to get a needle through the lexan. The pssibilities are endless. I'd love to Be there with you to help with this creation. Can't wait to see it.
    Last edited by 4-wheelin; 11-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Racer
    I like the idea of different colors. The uglier the better! And I should stop washing the car too after runs (minus electrics/motor/tranny). For the sewing part I was thinking of using a few bodies and cutting the pieces out for fit. Then to sew them drill small holes first, sew together with twine, and secure the inside of the shell using drywall tape and shoegoo (works amazingly).

Maybe drill holes and fasten it down with small screws to make them lok like rivets. Still can sho-goo and drywall the inside to.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    +1 to the rivet idea Digger

Today's Update. After some PM exchanges with several forum members I should have some broken/damaged/ugly parts coming my way. This includes a body, chassis, a-arms, various wheels+tires, towers. Thanks for the responses so far everyone! I took the pede down to a fav bashing spot today but didn't break anything new Tough cookie
    Given what I should be getting soon there are a few things I am still going to need/want for the build..

Bodies, the more beat up the better! Older or newer styles welcome
    Tie rods
    links
    Rear arms
    Wheels + Tires. Either sets, singles, even individual tires and wheels. I only want the vehicle to be level on a flat surface to maintain as close to factory performance as possible. I would prefer to have 4 different rims and wheels around it to make it uglier.

Here's the pede, now nicknamed "Frank", at the river/gravel pit today

Why wont you BREAK!?!? lol

2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I like frank! Great angle on a pede build. I will have to check my dwindling parts pile...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Yeah, Frank's a pretty cool dude. I can see some thin strips of sheet metal used to fix some broken a arms as we get into the cold season. And I d be happy to donate some of my lid pieces when the time comes.

RC Racer
    +1 to the sheet metal idea Oaks. Feel free to send me junk at
    Greg Wilke
    423 N 19th St
    Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, 83814

Gonna have some updates this week when I get some parts in from people!!! I'll post pics as they happen
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier
    What about stitching body parts together with string. Like stitches?

RC Racer
    That's part of what I'm planning, I've got a few bodies on the way that volunteered themselves to be cut up. I was planning on using twine to create the stitches after drilling small holes for the cord to go through, then reinforce the inside with drywall tape and shoegoo. Not only will it be ugly, it will be way more durable than stock

btw Don, your build is looking amazing! I would hate to see the receipts you've accumulated so far haha
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    hehe The VLX just loaned Frankenpede a steering block thanks to a high speed meeting with an angry curb.

2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    May have to go out and run some talons on 3s to see if I can blow them apart... I will send them if you pay shipping...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Haha sounds great! Talons balloon pretty good on 3s
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier
    this is going to be a sweet project when its done! i'm going to have to look around for some broken parts!
    also, doesn't it seem that when you are trying really hard to break it, it just wont break, and that when you are trying really hard to NOT break it, it breaks all the time? lol
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by wirgej38 View Post
    this is going to be a sweet project when its done! i'm going to have to look around for some broken parts!
    also, doesn't it seem that when you are trying really hard to break it, it just wont break, and that when you are trying really hard to NOT break it, it breaks all the time? lol
    Thanks! And yeah I should stop "trying" to break parts, then they will!
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    Got all the parts in I need
    Done with dis-assembly. Gotta clean up some parts to prep for dyeing (gray chassis parts) and paint. Rit Scarlet red dye on standby as well as some Krylon for non-dyeable parts.

Going to pick 2 of these bodies to use. Already have the materials ready to cut and splice them into one, ugly body. I was thinking about using RED led's for headlights to make it look a little more menacing when done. What do you think?

Feel free to give me ideas suggestions, or tips for this build!

Thanks
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

Red LED's will give it an awesome SINIST3R look. I'm not sure if you've ever checked but go to youtube and look up djmedica nd im sure many others. The scaler guys know how to make a body look like its banged up and put through the ringer. Not sure if you can melt the plastic with paint or graphics like that. But I know you can take clear bodies and make them look like they've been through an accident and stuff. Just ideas.

Totally sweet project you have going on for sure. Keep up the good work. I'm watching this puppy.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Hmm I may have to try out some of those "burn" and aging techniques, thanks Digger!
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wilke View Post
    Hmm I may have to try out some of those "burn" and aging techniques, thanks Digger!
    When I first watch the video of it I almost thought about building a scaler and getting realistic with the looks. Those guys are sticklers for sure.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Yeah some seriously good work out there, but something to try to achieve! The advantage they have is that they are using injection molded bodies versus Lexan, which can withstand the heat and such. But I will do my best to duplicate some of those techniques on my lexan body, and if I mess up, I have spares I'll have some updated pics up this weekend after dyeing parts and starting on the body hacking...getting excited
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    Update 11/17
    Cleaned up all the parts for dye and paint, will be dyeing parts tomorrow when the chassis is done curing from some needed JB weld repair.
    Started "messing" up the body prepping for surgery hehe. I used a bic lighter to create the dent effects on the body and along the edges, worked out pretty well I think. Still going to cut some pieces and "sew" them back on with some ugly twine. Also got some hobby paint to create rust effects (never tried it before). AND I have a few other ideas for the body which will be loosely guarded secrets.

Here what I've done tonight to the body. Oh, and "Frank" needed his name on the truck

Ideas, tips and suggestions welcome. Thanks!
    will have more updates tomorrow after the dye is done, I'm excited to see how the color comes out!
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

Are you planning on making this a sleeper? You know, a normal (or beat up in this case ) car with a EXTRMELY powerful motor so it really fast, or is it just going to be a "Frankin" P2de? If your not going to make it a sleeper, you should think about it. That would be really cool! Cheers!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Currently normal, however I wouldn't rule out a brushless upgrade. And define "Extremely powerful"? The only issue with the sleeper idea (which is great btw), is that I'm using broken and damaged parts for the ENTIRE truck. So while it will run fine when done, I'm not sure what it would do slamming into a curb at 65mph as opposed to 25mph.
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    Update 11/18
    Dyed chassis parts and painted A-arms + Springs.

Couldn't fit the whole chassis in Stock pot without it sitting on the bottom so I half and half'ed it

Rit Scarlet Dye (powder)

Painted Shock springs with Krylon Fusion "Hammered" spray paint

Same with A-arms

Tomorrow I begin some re-assembly as well as more body work. The body so far is the biggest project with the build.
    I'm not so sold on the A-arms, they look too "goldish" in color for me. We'll see tomorrow when I start the rebuild....
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    I have been watching this thread to see what you come up with.....interesting idea and the body looks great so far...
    Having a curb jump-out-and-hit-ya at those speeds would brake new parts! LOL!! A 'sleeper' when racing/bashing w/friends is a good idea....or so I think. Blow their doors off! lol Just have to disguise the brushless setup...just a thought.

---BT
    Bit-Older and need to 'learn' more.

RC Racer
    Thanks! Again my only issue with brushless on this build is it's going to be FRAGILE. Since virtually every part is broken/bent or damaged this thing would implode hitting a pillow. However since I typed that It would be cool to see on video....
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    Update 11/19

Re-assembled Frank. Going to test drive tomorrow to see how he does. Still working on the body, hopefully I'll have some stitching going tomorrow.

Mounted bumper upside down on purpose, hows it look?

Not crazy about how "gold" the Hammered paint turned out, will have to add some detail to numb it down a little

Zip ties to structural support. The darker areas on the chassis are from JB weld

Broken rear brace, shock tower, bent A-arm etc

Still rockin' the AM lol, Got a 2.4 coming in the mail, which is perfect because the 2.4 rx in my VXL is acting up...hmm...where ever should I put that?

2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Man this is an awesome project.
    You gotta put those two tires you got from me one there.
    Also I see a very bad lack of duct tape. Purple duct tape would look good on there.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Racer
    Thanks!

The front A-arms and a shock tower are ones I got from you. I would put those wheels on but the diameter is different, I would need the same size up front to have it even. And I think duct tape wouldn't be out of the question
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier
    I'd take the a-arms back off and scrape them across the cement a few times on each side. I would also switch out the camber links to the vxl ones. If I remember correctly I think it was Diggerpede that said he accidentally dyed his screws and they rusted within days. Maybe the same would work on the turnbuckles and camber links??? I'm sure there are other ways to speed up the rusting process. Lol. Looking good.. Umm, I mean looking bad. Good job at looking bad?? You know what I mean!! Keep up the good/bad work.
    Last edited by Baltim0re28; 11-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks! Yeah some of the screws are already somewhat rusty, last few wet days before the build I ran it and didn't dry or clean it, amazing what a little moisture does.

[QUOTE]I'd take the a-arms back off and scrape them across the cement a few times on each side.[QUOTE]

Definitely will have to do that, especially since they are painted red underneath the hammered paint

SO much still to do!
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    If you take out all the screws and metal parts, run them over with sandpaper and then let them sit in water overnight, then let them air dry they should be nice and rusty.
    I think it would look really good if you painted the servo multiple different colors.
    You can quickly get the body beat up by putting it on the pavement and stomping on it. it will get all cracked up, and then you can patch her up.

EDIT: Hey just thought of another great idea!!! Paint the rims 4 different colors and then put awesome on the paint after its dry. Scrub it with a tooth brush and it will look great. You can do the same with other parts!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    If you take out all the screws and metal parts, run them over with sandpaper and then let them sit in water overnight, then let them air dry they should be nice and rusty.
    I think it would look really good if you painted the servo multiple different colors.
    You can quickly get the body beat up by putting it on the pavement and stomping on it. it will get all cracked up, and then you can patch her up.

EDIT: Hey just thought of another great idea!!! Paint the rims 4 different colors and then put awesome on the paint after its dry. Scrub it with a tooth brush and it will look great. You can do the same with other parts!
    I can paint them to look rusty without affecting their ability to unscrew when needed And what's awesome to put on the paint?
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    I can paint them to look rusty without affecting their ability to unscrew when needed And what's awesome to put on the paint?
    Haha no I mean "awesome", the cleaning solution you can get at the dollar store. If you let it sit on the paint for awhile and then scrub it with a brush it will flake and make it look old and beat up.

RC Qualifier
    "La's totally awesome cleaner" from the dollar store works GREAT on cleaning parts!!!! And it isn't corrosive at all so you can get it on any metal without having to worry. Check it out. I've found it works just as good as simple green on almost all applications.

RC Racer
    Cool I'll have to check it out! I also like the prices at the dollar store
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Cool I'll have to check it out! I also like the prices at the dollar store
    Yeah its a great product for an unbeatable price...but be careful not to breath it in or get too much on your skin. I've heard its a carcinogen. (I think I spelled that right?)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Yeah its a great product for an unbeatable price...but be careful not to breath it in or get too much on your skin. I've heard its a carcinogen. (I think I spelled that right?)
    Yes on the spelling, and as a general rule, I try not to breathe in any chemicals period
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL