RC poster

Cool BUDGET Stampede build

Hey guys, Im starting a build thread sort of, Ill probably put 10 dollars towards the car every week for about a few months. Yes sounds poverty/extreme budget but Ill be swaying on certain parts.

I picked up a older style traxxas stampede. I think I got it for a steal, $45 for a older style stampede, body, speed gem motor, old airtronics radio with receiver, spare titan motor, some gears, 7.2v battery only 18oomah, everything except a esc.

I spent 12 bucks to get it working. Already had a esc and newer radio and receiever I installed, just paid the $12 to get deans plugs soldered onto the motor and battery.

Last edited by hotmod23; 11-11-2012 at 04:34 PM.

RC poster
    Few questions for the forum.

How can I increase my turning radius?
    would buying longer arms fix the drag stance that it seems to have?
    is the newer transmission box a direct fit onto this chassis?
    Do they make esc plates and servo plates?

Any other ideas on what I should do?
    This truck is 7/10 of what I was looking for, powers through the grass here at my complex, ground clearance, potential, and driving for cheap.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Welcome to the Stampede forum!

Nothing wrong with a budget build my friend, most of us have done one ourselves at one point in our lives. If you have an ebay account, or know someone who does, new/used stock parts as well as aftermarket parts can be purchased or won at auction for pretty cheap. Also check the marketplace here on the forum, there is always some decent deals there too. You can also post a wanted ad in the marketplace for the parts you are seeking and list the prices you can afford to pay for them and you may get some help there too. You picked a perfect truck platform to do this kind of a build, it doesn't take very much to keep a stampede running and they are great fun. Looks like your pede is in pretty good shape, so you're off to a good start already. Good luck, have fun and keep us posted with the build updates!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...the-HR-P2de-XL...
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC poster
    Thanks a ton man!
    I will definitely be wasting money on ebay every week! Already have a shopping cart ready to cash out!

Quote Originally Posted by hotmod23 View Post
    Few questions for the forum.

How can I increase my turning radius?
    would buying longer arms fix the drag stance that it seems to have?
    is the newer transmission box a direct fit onto this chassis?
    Do they make esc plates and servo plates?

Any other ideas on what I should do?
    This truck is 7/10 of what I was looking for, powers through the grass here at my complex, ground clearance, potential, and driving for cheap.
    Increasing your turning radius would mean that you want the truck to make wider turns, is that what you want? Or are you looking to make a sharper and tighter turn?

I assume that by "drag stance" you are referring to the rear track being wider than the front track width.

The reason your truck is like this is because you are running all same offset wheels. On the stampede, the front arms are shorter than the rears, so either the rear should have more positive offset wheels or the front should have more negative offset wheels. You have several options to remedy this, heres a couple of easy bolt on options that will fix the issue without buying new wheels:

A - you can go with Protrac front arms

If you're just gonna go with protrac front arms then you'll need longer camber links and turnbuckles. The easiest way is to get the protrac links as well.

Here's a list of what you will need to do just the front protrac arms install:

Proline Protrac Front Arms part #6062-01 (2 pcs)

Proline Protrac 50mm x 4mm Camber Links part #6062-06 (2 pcs)

Proline Protrac 70mm x 4mm Steering Links part #6062-07 (2 pcs)

Traxxas Jato rod ends part #5523 -

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=2396

These are what I used for attaching the camber links:

Traxxas part #2579 Screws, 3x15mm button-head machine (hex drive)

Traxxas part #2745 3mm nylon locking nuts

B - This option is the easiest way to even out the front to back track width and will only require you to buy these c blocks and install them on the truck, everything else stays the same.

The link i posted below is for rc-solutions 1/4" offset c blocks. These will add a 1/4" of width to each side on the front of the truck which will even out the track width and allow you to keep the steering links, camber links and wheels and tires that you already have on the truck. These are an excellent solution for people who want to run rpm or any other aftermarket (stock length) front arms without having to do the protrac install, and will open up more wheel options because they allow for the use of all same offset wheels on front and rear. Plus they are an upgrade to the stock plastic c blocks that come with the pede (which aren't very durable).

http://shop.rc-solutions.com/Slash-R...ck-Set-168.htm

As for the newer metal geared brushless ready transmissions, yes they are a direct replacement for the older stampedes. Just swap and go. The internal gearing is all interchangeable as well, so if you can only get one part at a time, you can just buy the metal gears and install them in the transmission case you have now. The most inexpensive option is to buy a complete transmission off ebay for around 25 bucks which will come complete with all the internal metal gearing, new slipper clutch, spur, and sometimes even a pinion and gear cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Rust...item2ec34bfdd4

The newer style esc plate is traxxas part # 3626 and also allows for the mounting of the (optional) waterproof receiver box beside the esc.

Mounting plate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Moun...item4abc8422d7

Waterproof receiver box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Son-Uva-Digg...item4d06c48cac

Rpm also makes esc mounting plates in several different colors if thats what youre after.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...the-HR-P2de-XL...

RC poster
    holy cow.lol
    Thanks man! Definitely going to buy the mounting plate and receiver box this week probably.

RC Champion
    I'm not sure that rx will fit in the traxxas reciever box.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Hey guys, Im starting a build thread sort of, Ill probably put 10 dollars towards the car every week for about a few months. Yes sounds poverty/extreme budget but Ill be swaying on certain parts.

I picked up a older style traxxas stampede. I think I got it for a steal, $45 for a older style stampede, body, speed gem motor, old airtronics radio with receiver, spare titan motor, some gears, 7.2v battery only 18oomah, everything except a esc.

I spent 12 bucks to get it working. Already had a esc and newer radio and receiever I installed, just paid the $12 to get deans plugs soldered onto the motor and battery.

Sounds a lot like how my Pede started...

Welcome and have fun with it! I ran for quite a while with a Speed gems motor and XL-1 ESC on my Pede. Eventually upgraded the transmission and went brushless.

At some point a good upgrade will be to go from bushings to bearings on all four wheels. You can get a set of 10 bearings for $10 (you need 8 for the wheels). You will need to replace the bearing carriers front and rear to do it. No need to rush out and do it right away but it will make your truck faster and run longer on a battery charge.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC poster
    Yea I think I should have a little more speed than what Im having. Im probably at 15mph with the speed gem and a 1800mah battery.
    Was out driving today and got it wedged under a pretty low GTI...hope they didnt see me. :-/
    Afterwards, I drove it blindly right into the curb sending the esc and receiver off the car and disconnected from the motor. O_O
    So I know Ill need some better adhesive to get the electronics stuck on the chassis.
    Also while out, I drove it pretty much WOT the whole time. Tried to wheelie it, but I guess the transmission wouldnt allow for it. It simply clicked majority of the time. After awhile, the pinion gear came off the motor. :-/ SO now Im stuck with trying to figure out, if I need a new transmission or just to replace the pinion.
    Ill probably buy a bumper for the front, so I can make the curb scream instead of me next time. ;-)

RC Qualifier
    Ill probably buy a bumper for the front, so I can make the curb scream instead of me next time. ;-)
    I put the hand me down bumper and skid plate from my 4X4 pede on the 2WD. You just have to drill a couple of holes in it as the pattern is different and it works great.

RC Champion
    The RPM or Traxxas bumpers for the 2wd slash fit the 2wd stampede and provide great protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC poster
    Hey quick question.

So Im running a really budget stampede right now. I have a 1800mah battery, and a stock titan motor. WHen the battery is all charged(using a mini t charger for 2 hrs) this may be the problem, everything is in the truck, the car still runs slow, like idk why it never gets a full speed from the system.
    Could be the gears binding
    battery not getting enough juice
    motor could be toasted
    esc could be set up to 50%

I just don't know, Any more ideas?

It could be any one of the above things you mentioned so you'll have to check it over and make sure theres no binding etc. I would think that the battery is too small for the application, the runtime must be extremely short. Also, you are running the Tazer 15t correct? I would imagine that the esc would get very hot if you ran the titan motor, so go with the speed gems motor. The one in the pic in your first post is a Speed Gems 2 Quartz 19x2 or 19 turn double, which will be better suited to the esc. Check the brushes of the motor to make sure they Are not worn out (very short) if they are worn out, your lhs should sell them for a few bucks. Take the motor with you so you get the right brushes cuz there are a couple different types. What gearing are you running? Youll need to run about a 16 tooth pinion and an 86 or 90 tooth spur. It may be time to upgrade the battery and charger. From what ive read the mini t charger is only meant for packs up to 1100mah, so with a bigger battery youll need a more capable charger. When i first started with the pede and nimh packs, ii picked up a duratrax onyx 100 charger for 20 bucks at the lhs and the person i gave it to still uses it and it still works great. Check the market place here for some traxxas nimh packs for cheap cuz members that use lipos always sell them off when they get new trucks. Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

RC poster
    Thanks a trillion!lol
    Ill definitely put the speed gem back on, It was getting better speeds but not much as I expected with it instead of the titan. I think I am geared a little higher than 16t.
    I guess Ill go to craigslist and hunt down a charger and battery for 20 bucks!lol

RC Racer
    If you're hearing clicking sounds you should check your gears carefully for stripped/broken teeth as well as foreign debris which likes to find it's way into the pinion/spur area Also look for maybe a small pebble or twig around your drive wheels and/or driveshafts. Troubleshooting those problems are pretty quick and easy, and sometimes you get lucky and it's some debris. How is the gear mesh? Good luck! Cool budget build

One question though, what's up with the Deans plugs?
    Last edited by Greg Wilke; 12-05-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Baldy, I still use the rc solutions c blocks and love them.
    Hotmod, check out avidrc for bearings.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Baldy, I still use the rc solutions c blocks and love them.
    Hotmod, check out avidrc for bearings.
    Haha, i got the idea from you a good while back and got myself a set off ebay. Then when i was reading this thread i couldnt remember the manufacturers exact website name, so i did a google search and picture you had posted on the forum came up. Your post is the only info besides the manufacturer's that i can find, so we must be the only ones in the world who has used them. Lol. I actually tried ordering another set not too long ago and for a $45 order they want $50 to ship to me in canada. Its way cheaper to the states though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

RC poster
    What do you mean whats up with them?
    In the picture they are repaired.lol
    I had a dirty job done to them at first, so i got a shop to fix them for me!

I really had no meshing method. So maybe i should. Taking it to another shop tmrw probably.