Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Talking Our Home Made RC Car Track!

Me and my friends have been so excited about getting our rc cars, we just HAD to do somthing rc car related. Since I'm the only one (out of 3) that has rc cars, we didn't have any cars to use, or tinker with. Two of my friends live really close to an abandoned field and city cannal, we thought we'd make a rc car track in the field. The field that we are creating the track in is normaly full of weeds, but the weeds are dead now because it's winter. We dug done about 4 inches, and we hit ROCK HARD clay. So, the track we're making is going to be a dusty, hard packed clay track. Here is some pictures of how it's coming! I'll post more pictures of our progress as we build it. In this picture we had just started. The two guys in this picutre is 2 of my friends.
    These picture was only about 30 min later, making good progress!

This picture was an hour after the other picture was taken.

This pile of dirt is where we are going to stand on to drive our rc cars. It's also where I took the last picture from.

This is the cannal I was talking about. It's going to be SO much fun driving my Summit here.

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 11-03-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

About 2 hours later...

Here is another view of it...

Here is ANOTHER shot of about an hour and a half later.... They are my 3 friends, sorry about my friend being shirtless, he got oo hot to put it back on...
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 11-03-2012 at 08:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    instead of making your track long and stringy, you will find it more fun and easy to maneuver if you will make it wider! that canal looks like you could just RIP. Track looks LEGIT though! good work dude
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dennerracingteamdrt

instead of making your track long and stringy, you will find it more fun and easy to maneuver if you will make it wider! that canal looks like you could just RIP. Track looks LEGIT though! good work dude
    Don't you mean "dudes"? Thanks, we've been working hard for the last 2 days on it... I can't wait for it to be finished!

RC Competitor
    Nice, I would love to get an extra bit of land to build on like that when getting my house.
    I'm crazy, no really I am.

RC Racer
    I cant wait until we can start making the part of the track next to the hill! Our plans for that part is going to make it sweet! (I am one of the friends to those of you who didnt know)

RC Champion
    Its going to have jumps, right?
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    i think it should have jumps everywhere, since your all already sweating like pigs lol
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Racer
    Yes! We are going to add lots of things to it later. What would be the point of digging a track out if it is going to be flat. We would have just put cones in the road! lol

RC Competitor
    man, I am so jealous! I can't wait to see more pics!

RC Qualifier
    we gotta bash sometime lol, you need to make that watchers tower covered with rocks, that way you have something to drive your summit on. For what its worth if we ever do bash i'll bring my summit even though im not a huge fan of it and its broken the first day i drove it- its the only rc i ever had thats had a part break on the first day- let alone the first week. it was the locking differential that broke, so now i only ever drive it in low gear with the diffs locked because of that entire ordeal. sorry for high-jacking your thread, nice work on the track
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Qualifier
    this is going to be a sweet track...how much for admission?!?!?!
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    you better make sure your allowed to do that to that ground, would be ashame to have all your hard work be thrown down the drain
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

you better make sure your allowed to do that to that ground, would be ashame to have all your hard work be thrown down the drain
    SHHHHHHHH..... We looked into who owned the land, and we can't find ANY info. We know for sure it's not privite owned, but we're not 100% sure if it's federal or government land either...

this is going to be a sweet track...how much for admission?!?!?!
    Having a great time! I don't know, really havn't even thought once about that... I wouldn't charge money anyway...

RC Qualifier
    federal is mostly around the bases, im military
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

Its going to have jumps, right?
    Ya, we built a little more of the track after the picture was taken, if you look at the last picture in post #2, if you look right in front of my friends feet, you can see a small plie of dirt and rocks, that is where a 3 foot tall jump is. More to come!

federal is mostly around the bases, im military
    Oh ok, good to know. Well, we do have a military base about 5 miles away in the mountains...

RC Qualifier
    you can call the base and ask them and give them the street adress
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

you can call the base and ask them and give them the street adress
    Ok, thanks, I'll look into that.

RC Qualifier
    if it was i think that they would have government property signs up all over the place. would still be a good thing to call and ask. what base are you by?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

We've looked all over the place for no traspasing signs, and there isn't any. There are no fences, signs, or anything. There isn't even a road to get to it. We have to cross over the cannal to get to the field. It's going to suck in the summer when the cannal fills back up... Then we can't get to the field... The base by us is Camp Williams... Every once and a while we can hear distant echoing booms from missile testing...

RC Qualifier
    haha, you will have to get a boat and dock it to get back and forth hahah
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

haha, you will have to get a boat and dock it to get back and forth hahah
    We've talked about that... We're thinking we'll just cross over using a bridge a 1000 yards down, and fight all the weeds on that side of the cannal untill we reach the field... If you look at post #1, in the last picture if you look at the left side of the cannal, you'll see what I'm talking about...

RC Qualifier
    haha or swim?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Racer
    Nice to see young, motivated kids... Me... I wouldnt do any of that without first renting a skidloader :P

I wouldnt do any of that without first renting a skidloader
    We talked about doing that, no joke. But, there just isn't anyway to get it to the side of the cannal where the track is, like I said before, it's really hard to get to that field. That's most likely why it hasn't bee used at all.

RC Competitor
    Are you near farm land? I know back where I grew up there was actually some land that the state paid the farmer to NOT farm, and the catch was to let nature take it back over. I forget what this land was called, but its possible that it could be designated for that.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by madjoker911 View Post
    Are you near farm land? I know back where I grew up there was actually some land that the state paid the farmer to NOT farm, and the catch was to let nature take it back over. I forget what this land was called, but its possible that it could be designated for that.
    It's called Set Aside Farming- Farmers that produce over 92 tons of crops can be required to set aside 10% of their toatal farm area. This area must be planted with cover grass to try to prevent weeds from growing. fertilizer can not be used. So yes, that could be a good example of Set Aside Farming. The land is meant to provide a place for the environment to grow to.

I would keep building until someone tells you not too though, but maybe don't make it too big or notice-able...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Icero1 View Post
    It's called Set Aside Farming- Farmers that produce over 92 tons of crops can be required to set aside 10% of their toatal farm area. This area must be planted with cover grass to try to prevent weeds from growing. fertilizer can not be used. So yes, that could be a good example of Set Aside Farming. The land is meant to provide a place for the environment to grow to.

I would keep building until someone tells you not too though, but maybe don't make it too big or notice-able...
    hahahahahahahaha such a simple name....

One thing I've learned, and its probably not always the best thing....but sometimes its better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission...just depends on the consequences...

RC Qualifier
    well you guys are putting a lot of effort in building this thing, would be ashame for the state to come bulldoze it would they rather you guys be out getting in trouble?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Competitor
    its possible that if it is set aside farming, the farmer will approach them, since they have attempted to find the land owner, and could not, they could at that point explain their case to him. I havnt built anything on anyones land before, but it does not appear that they are doing anything that they themselves could not reverse, since its all by hand. If its public or government land the same stands, except you have to actually find someone who cares...and if they have not been able to find the owner, it seems the land is not that cared for. Seems to me a good case of keep trucking on...but be willing to tear it down too, and fix the land

RC Racer
    I am pretty sure it is not set aside farming. The field use to be twice as big and it was farmed until about 6 years ago when half of it was used to build homes. Nothing has been done to the field since then except last winter it was mowed down.

RC Racer
    Ive emailed the city and got a response. I told them I was just curious and wanted to know who owned the field. They emailed me back and said that the whole field is owned by the cemetery to the west. This is good because we are the farthest away from the cemetary you can get. About 1200 feet. That cemetary is not nearly close to being full and even when they do expand it they probably wont go all of the way. They are currently using about 9 acres and have about 26 acres of field. Im so glad its not the governments land.

Ya I'm glad we won't really have to worry about getting in trouble... I on a even brighter side, we got alot of work done on it today. I forgot to take my camera, (doh) so I don't have any new pictures. We filled in the rough rocky area around the base of the dirt hill, (The one post #1, picture 5) so it's nice and smooth now, so we can build the banked turn on it. We also finished the striaght-a-way, and most of the corner after it. The best part is we'll be going back tommrow to continune building! Don't worry, I'll take some new pictures tommorow!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 11-05-2012 at 08:07 PM.

RC Competitor
    Nice...if the cemetary is owned by a church its possible you could also work something out with them as a fund raiser. We have a local track at a church here, that just asks for donations, and you not to run on Sunday.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet track. I wish I had friends that would do that with me. I only have 1 RC guy that lives around here and he might do one with me in a big sand lot that is usless. I do have a local track though...
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Racer
    Building this track is a lot of fun. Cant wait till we start building again today!

Here is some new pictures from today, like I said. These pictures where taken right before we started working on the track today, so it's showing what we did yesterday. We smoothed out the base of the dirt hill, (In the bottom of the first picture) and started the corner.

This is the jump I was talking about, looks better in person though.

Here is the corner...

And here is the base of the dirt hill we smoothed and flatned out. It's going to be a banked turn, also not quite finished.

And here is a picture of me, for you guys that were wondering...

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 11-06-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Here is the track after we worked on it today. Sorry about the bad picture quality, the low light levels really screwed up my camera. We finished the start line of the track, most of the banked turn and the bases of the jumps. The jump the two piles of dirt by the wheelbarow.

Here is a better picture of the banked turn we made.

Here is also a picture of the jump, the werid lumpy clay chunks are from the bottom of the cannal, because the clay packs down alot better than the rock filled dirt. Again, sorry for the bad picture quality.

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 11-06-2012 at 07:40 PM.