RC Racer

hot racing shock bore size

Anyone ever measure the bore size? It would answer alot off questions as to why the shocks r softer after switching
    bodies.......

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounded like 7.62 my red piston are a little bit bigger

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Sounded like 7.62 my red piston are a little bit bigger
    Your caliper talks????

Stock red two hole (.500) piston is 7.6mm wide stock bore is 7.80mm = .2mm differance, perfect.

On my hot racing shock the bore size is 7.95mm that = a .15mm differance when using the stk piston
    Not perfect or even close
    That lets lots of blow by and a piston rod that will wobble back and forth.

Lesson to learn if all the hot racing shock bodies r 7.95mm your shocks will be way softer then your stock
    Shocks i have read many a story of this happining with confusion being the end result.

Measure your hot racing and all shock bodies to know what you have. Before you waste your time.
    Last edited by yellowufo; 11-05-2012 at 09:17 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowufo View Post
    Your caliper talks????

Stock red two hole (.500) piston is 7.6mm wide stock bore is 7.80mm = .2mm differance, perfect.

On my hot racing shock the bore size is 7.95mm that = a .15mm differance when using the stk piston
    Not perfect or even close
    That lets lots of blow by and a piston rod that will wobble back and forth.

Lesson to learn if all the hot racing shock bodies r 7.95mm your shocks will be way softer then your stock
    Shocks i have read many a story of this happining with confusion being the end result.

Measure your hot racing and all shock bodies to know what you have. Before you waste your time.
    I just got another set of HR Bodies in the mail, and I have a set of new red pistons. I got pretty much the same numbers, 7.5mm pistons, 7.9mm dia on the HR Bodies. I used a 50/50 mix of 70WT oil & 10K Diff oil to stiffen them WAAAY up for my boy's Grave Digger. I also used this setup on my Mini Slash 4X4, & Boss Mustang with stiffer springs.

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I just got another set of HR Bodies in the mail, and I have a set of new red pistons. I got pretty much the same numbers, 7.5mm pistons, 7.9mm dia on the HR Bodies. I used a 50/50 mix of 70WT oil & 10K Diff oil to stiffen them WAAAY up for my boy's Grave Digger. I also used this setup on my Mini Slash 4X4, & Boss Mustang with stiffer springs.

AB
    thanks as you said you can overcome the oversize bore by mixing up some thicker mixture just wish
    The cut them better the shaft wobble will cause leaks overtime and may cause binding

Jim

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowufo View Post
    thanks as you said you can overcome the oversize bore by mixing up some thicker mixture just wish
    The cut them better the shaft wobble will cause leaks overtime and may cause binding

Jim
    I haven't had any shaft wobble, although at first I had oil leaking down the shafts. Instead of using the new o-rings from the HR Bodies, I used the original stockers with the HR spacer. No leaks. No wobbles.

AB

RC Racer
    I used the stock o rings also along with the hr spacers, to be honest after i sealed the stockers
    Im happy and wont be buying hr bodies again.

Thanks again for the confirmation on the bore size it took me since september to get someone
    To measure the hr bodies. on another forum the idea that a bigger bore would cause a softer
    Shock seemed to be beyond a few i.e. the mod in perticulars grasp.
    soooo
    Again thanks

Jim.

RC Qualifier
    You're welcome. FYI, when measuring, I found out that the HR Bodies are slightly tapered towards the top, probably to assist in compression. Also, the holes in the pistons are tapered, with the larger side on top. When I rebuilt mine, I reversed them, as I'm trying to prevent dive on braking, and minimize squat on acceleration. Those two features also assist in spring rebound.
    Good luck!

AB

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use the stock blue seal -stock spacer -blue seal then a hr seal and that works pretty good no leaks