Thread: Half Shafts

RC Qualifier

Half Shafts

For some reason i keep ripping the little blue glued dust seal on the half shaft sets but it is only when i put them on the rear of the truck. at the moment i have cut up a zip lock bag and wrapped and taped a piece around the dust seal on the half shaft but even that rips every so often.
    Just wondering if anyone has the same problem and if anyone can suggest how to stop it happeneing.
    Is flipping the half shaft around so the dust seal is up near the diff a solution or not.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    When mine rip, I just remove them completely.
    It requires a little more time during cleaning, but it's not too bad if you have a compressor.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I suppose they don't really move much but i did find that it made my suspension movement a bit stiff.
    Do you oil or grease yours or just blow them out with the compressor and put them back on?
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 11-02-2012 at 09:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The rears rip quickly and it's quite common, I don't think there's a fix. Just live with it and clean them once in a while. If you disassemble make sure to realign correctly there are small guide marks molded in.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I do not oil or grease mine.
    Grease/oil would attract dirt and act like sandpaper; wearing them out FAST.

Dry lube would be what to use... but since they are plastic and don't slide that much, I don't see a point.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    It's a pretty common problem. Happens to the rears more so than the front due to the front tires slinging gravel and what not at them, IMO.

Like Jimmie said when it gets bad I just remove the boots entirely so they don't look ratty and make sure to clean them better/more often.

I have thought about making a shield of some sorts but it doesn't bother me enough to do so. Like maybe a thin plastic piece coming off the a-arm skid plate to deflect oncoming debris.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect