slash transmission rebuild questions

ok so im about to go through and replace my broken parts in trans (diff, and idler gear) i see there is this little tube of grease for the gears so here is my question. do i wipe out all this old grease?

and then just add my new grease around the gears and stuff? how much do i put on exactly?

and next question. i told them i wanted an almost locked diff so they handed me this.

a bottle of diff lock. how much do i put in exactly? i want it to slip the bare minimum
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    They gave you a very light weight diff fluid. Look for Ofna 120,000 or Traxxas 500K fluid if you want an almost locked diff.

RC Qualifier
    Grab some coffee filters and clean that gear box out as much as you can. Fill the dif with heave fluid. People say to fill in 3/4 full but i pack mine. When greasing you gear use white lithium grease. I would only put enough grease to fill each tooth of the gears. You dont need too much.

I use AGS-WHITE-LITHIUM-GREASE for the gears.

I use Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant to pack my dif

ok, i have some white lithium grease. ill use that instead and lightly coat the gears then. as for the fluid. im not driving an hour again to swap it out so ill just use this for now. if i find i need heavier ill upgrade in the future. the guy said it works better then normal diff lube of same weight because of the diff lock. so we shall see.
    Drag It!

and whats with the coffee filter?
    Drag It!

just put the diff all together with this stuff and im already dissapointed with how un "locked" it is................. yeah........ first chance i get im buying heavier oil. it will get me through winter if nothing else though.
    Drag It!

this thin junk is just leaking out sitting here....................................
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I use high speed wheel bearing grease in my diff and in the trans. Just enough to get everything coated. Seems to work well for me. I have yet to use oil in the diffs of any of my cars.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    and whats with the coffee filter?
    Coffee filters will clean grease off anything and doesn't leave particles behind like cotton or paper towel.

RC Qualifier
    Graves, I've had good success with placing one .020 Associated kingpin shim over each planet gear axle inside the diff. It's pretty smooth, provides a firm diff, and lasts forever. You don't have much adjustability, but it's way better than a stock greased diff. I also pack it with some of that DC111 pictured above. For a substantially looser diff, you can place one shock x-ring between the sun gears, on the shaft that connects them. This can be tuned with fiber shims on the outdrive side of the sun gears, but it won't last as long or provide as much "lock" as shimming the planet gears. Even if the diff were sealed, the 1k oil is very, very light, especially with a planetary diff. Even in a spider gear diff, it would only be used in the rear on a very slick or rough track. Most of the guys with sealed diffs are using 120k or heavier oils. I have no experience with sealed planetary diffs, because I am happy with my shimmed stockers. For greasing the transmission itself, I have been using the same moly-based chassis grease I use on my full-size cars. It's probably not the best grease for the job, but it's in stock out in the garage, and pretty sticky.

RC Qualifier
    I use the lucas brand wheel bearing grease on everything extremely water resistant super sticky.

1k diff fluid LOL that is funny save it for a rainy day when you run out of shock oil. I may have to try this dow corning stuff.

yeah, its in there now........... havent even ran it yet and im not happy lol.

what you guys think about grease vs. oil? stock has grease right?

the stock is heavier than what this is............ not happy about there recomendation even remotly.........

also dont like how much the axles can move in and out............. thats all controlled by the 2 sun gears that hook to the rest of the axle right? thats the way im getting from your guys descriptions.

im half tempted to pull it all apart, get the flimsy 1k oil out that i never should have bought (lesson learned). and filling it with some multi purpose grease for tie rods and ball joints of a 1:1 car. ill bust out the grease gun lol
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    One .5mm shim between each sun gear and the diff case, and shimming between the diff case and transmission case (seems to have a lot of production tolerance) really tightens things up back there. Being a mechanic, you probably have some strange potions out in the shop- I wonder if partially filling the diff with, say, liquid teflon or some of that orange anti-squeal stuff would be effective?

Transmission assembly grease worked well, but broke down quickly. Moly grease wasn't stiff enough. DC111 works ok, and lasts longer than trans grease. Honda Urea grease thinned out quickly, and leaked out, and smells bad, too.
    Last edited by Blaster75; 11-02-2012 at 07:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    I use the lucas brand wheel bearing gre$1se on everything extremely water resistant super sticky.

1k diff fluid LOL that is funny save it for a rainy day when you run out of shock oil. I may have to try this dow corning stuff.
    Yea, the Dow corning 111 is some thick stuff. You can buy it in little packets for $1.50. I can pack 2 diffs with 1 dc-111 packet.

RC Competitor
    if you want firm but not locked diff, 100k weight diff fluid. I did the mod to mine to seal it up, but don't think it was really neccessary with the 100K diff fluid because... its not really a fluid at that weight. Works perfectly though.

RC Qualifier
    Gonna try to find some little packs of the dc-111 is there a store you can buy it localy ?

I say stick with grease if your are not using the sealed diff mod

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116675

fluid will get in your bearings and cause lots of drag in the trans that is what is great about grease its MADE FOR BEARINGS!!!! LOL

hmm nice right up there. i might try that in the future. ill stick with this for right now though lol. well the stock diff i mean. i think im gonna run it tomorrow just for referance of how horrible it really is with this 1k oil in it. then im going to tear it all apart and clean it out again and refill it with some type of heavy grease. then re test

where can i get that dc111 stuff at though? like what kind of store?
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    You can get it at an auto parts store, labeled as "high temp silicone brake grease."

i knew that stuff sounded firmiliar for some reason lol. that would be why lol

ok well i might just try the grease i have readily available to me now and see how that works out first if nothing else. or i might just pick up some 100k diff grease at lhs if they have it after that.

thanks for all the replies though guys, im still new to messing with the rc diffs.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    The 111 grease is thick and sticky. We use it at work.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    Gonna try to find some little packs of the dc-111 is there a store you can buy it localy ?
    Im sorry I can't find them at a retail location. I have 4000 packs in my stockroomso I've never looked. Amazon.com has it

is white lithium grease thicker than whats in the diff stock? its right here and looks pretty tempting lol. or should i try my all purpose grease in my grease gun if there is any even?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Here's my opinion on the trans grease. Just think about how fast those gears are turning. Pretty darn fast! I'm not so sure lithium grease is the way to go. As stated before, I use high speed wheel bearing grease that you would use in a full size car. I believe it's also high temp. I would think it would hold up a lot better than lithium grease.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    just get the 1k out and put some lucas all purpose grease in there

right, yeah ill look through what i have. didnt think about the high speed part.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I have never had any problems with the grease I use. Just something to think about.
    Jeremy