My excitement has gone...

After I saw this...

I was dreaming to install a GoPro Hero under it then I saw the first pictures and take aerial pictures like I do with my kites... Now I know I can't...

I still like it and I'll buy one, but can we have a bigger one next year? Let's call it QR-X.
    Last edited by danielhr77; 11-02-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    He who dies with the most toys wins !!!

RC Qualifier
    Hahah, yeah, I doubt there would be enough thrust to get a GoPro off the ground. If I'm not mistaken, there are some micro cameras made specifically for small helicopters that might work for this. They wouldn't have the picture quality of the GoPro, but it would be better than nothing.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

Yes, I have a few of those cameras and will probably work... Either way, I'm buying one for the office!!!
    He who dies with the most toys wins !!!

i thought they would be at least 5 times bigger than that.. oh well
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

I might wait for the DR-4 or 5... lol

Totally hoping these would have been a bit bigger.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, bigger would be nice, but this is a good place to start. If these do well, we will more than likely see something bigger in the future. I for one, am going to be in for one of these, should be fun to play around with.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    After I saw this...

I was dreaming to install a GoPro Hero under it then I saw the first pictures and take aerial pictures like I do with my kites... Now I know I can't...

I still like it and I'll buy one, but can we have a bigger one next year? Let's call it QR-X.
    Hey pibe!

gosh, i thought I was the only one, I was really excited and I was going to look for the "Buy Now" button, then I saw this picture.................. sorry traxxas but I'll pass, let me know when you come up with a bigger one.
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Champion
    I feel like crying now!!!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    The Hero 3 will fit. 2X more powerful and 25% smaller! Lol it's tiny!
    U |_ 7 1 |\/| 4 7 3 7 R 4 >< >< 4 !

RC poster
    I say it should be able to lift my 1/10 Summit when I roll it over.LOL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wws199 View Post
    I say it should be able to lift my 1/10 Summit when I roll it over.LOL
    Lol, now that would be a good accessory! (right now that's my 3 year old job :-))

RC Champion
    Lol did you expect a full size heli for $80? There just like the cobra ones kind of

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxhoundEP3 View Post
    Hey pibe!

gosh, i thought I was the only one, I was really excited and I was going to look for the "Buy Now" button, then I saw this picture.................. sorry traxxas but I'll pass, let me know when you come up with a bigger one.
    +1. Guess I just didn't think it was that small. wow.
    Land of the free?

Mannnn.... I knew something was up when I saw the price on Tower. I have been seriously looking at the 2.0 verson of another Quad-copter, when I saw this one I thought, "SOLD!!!"

Guess not...

Well kudos to Traxxas for branching out in their own little way(s).
    Last edited by Greatscott; 11-02-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Wow, that thing is tiny! I think it would be fun to fly it around, and everyone would think it's a fly...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    so this is just a start off from traxxas to get into helis? i see, the big ones are coming.....later.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    After I saw this...

since you can get one RTF and then buy a few with no TX. Bind them all to the same TX, tie them to the GoPro, and have them all lift at the same time with one remote LOL...

I know it won't work LOL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    so this is just a start off from traxxas to get into helis? i see, the big ones are coming.....later.
    I agree 100% this is traxxas' way of getting their feet wet. Its uncharted territory for them. Once they get some of the bugs worked out then they can apply what they've learned on bigger birds.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    Any bigger and it will need a release form and be made out of Nerf foam.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    I agree 100% this is traxxas' way of getting their feet wet. Its uncharted territory for them. Once they get some of the bugs worked out then they can apply what they've learned on bigger birds.

When a company wants to get into a new market they hire someone or a team FROM THAT MARKET! So, this shouldn't be getting their feet wet, it should be releasing a sweet product. Im sure this thing will be cool, but holy crap.

I about jumped out of my seat when i saw this on the website, then i threw my kindle when i saw how small it was.
    Last edited by clmarek1; 11-05-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Rustler + Lipo + Dirt = FUN!

I dont get being upset by it's size. To me it is one of those things it just is what it is. I like the size. When I go outside I run my trucks, flying to me is something I like doing indoors when it is too dark to be outside running or it is raining or whatever. Small is good for me I can fly it around in the house to get my RC fix when I cant be outside running the trucks for whatever reason.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I dont get being upset by it's size. To me it is one of those things it just is what it is. I like the size. When I go outside I run my trucks, flying to me is something I like doing indoors when it is too dark to be outside running or it is raining or whatever. Small is good for me I can fly it around in the house to get my RC fix when I cant be outside running the trucks for whatever reason.
    You are right. But the pic on the home page leads one to believe that it is a "full size" RC copter, not a micro. There is not anything in its name to suggest its size like all other traxxas products. You have to dig a bit before you find out what it is.obviously traxxas isn't intentionally misleading the product but there is a communication error (IMO) from that initial pic. And it seems quite a few people here feel the same way. Presentation is everything.
    Rustler + Lipo + Dirt = FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by clmarek1 View Post
    You are right. But the pic on the home page leads one to believe that it is a "full size" RC copter, not a micro. There is not anything in its name to suggest its size like all other traxxas products. You have to dig a bit before you find out what it is.obviously traxxas isn't intentionally misleading the product but there is a communication error (IMO) from that initial pic. And it seems quite a few people here feel the same way. Presentation is everything.
    Couldnt have said it better, the size should have been referenced on the page. It "micro" isnt even mentioned on the Product overview page. Unless the brain trust at Traxxas has sized these 1/2" larger than a conventional "micro" sized heli.

That said for the price i might find my way to the LHS for one, just for messing around with. But my last foray into heli's ended up with desk decoration at work.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post

You realize that this is not made by Traxxas, it is a rebrand?
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

Quote Originally Posted by badaml View Post
    You realize that this is not made by Traxxas, it is a rebrand?
    In fact this is false information and has been covered elsewhere. Please do not post it again. Just sayin.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    In fact this is false information and has been covered elsewhere. Please do not post it again. Just sayin.
    So this is in fact a Traxxas made product? Just sayin, the pic looks identical to another product.

Guys please do not post about other quads that may look the same they are not. For those of you that missed it this is what Nitro Chicken posted in another thread about the look a like quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    It does look the same but that's where the comparison ends. Traxxas did a LOT of things to make the QR1 helicopter meet our standards of durability, performance and ease of use, which that helicopter simply cannot meet.

Anybody who buys that (hubsan) helicopter thinking that they will get the same one or the same experience that the QR1 provides is in for a rude awakening. Obviously we will not support that product in any way, either on our forum or on our phones.

I am closing this thread. Please do not re post it.
    I dont know how to make it any clearer than that. They may look the same but they are ot the same and posting about the look a like quads is not allowed here.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Please keep in mind that these helicopters are produced and sold by Traxxas. Other helicopters may look similar but they will not perform the same. Traxxas wanted to make sure that these helicopters perform and fly the way a Traxxas customer would expect them to perform and fly. Customers will also have access to parts lists, exploded views, replacement parts, the helicopter replacement program and of course Traxxas customer support.

I do not have a specific list of the exact things that were done at the engineering level but a whole lot of time was put into researching the currently available helicopter offerings and then developing and perfecting the durability and flight characteristics of the QR1 and DR1. This level of research and development is time and resource intensive.

If Traxxas was simply interested in selling a helicopter, regardless of customer needs or performance expectations, we could have easily put something on the market years ago.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    I have owned numerous Traxxas products over the years, starting with the Fiero GTP 1/12 (fiberglass frame, and yes, mechanical esc) when it first came out. I don't remember Traxxas ever coming out with anything that looked identical to another product. The quad looks identical to another brand, and also has identical specs. The radio is also identical. Seems odd.

I am not debating that the support from Traxxas will be better, I have only had a few issues and received great support. I am sure the support, as well as the manuals will be first rate, as it has been with other Traxxas products (I have owned the above mentioned fiero gtp, 3 slashes, a jato, a tmaxx, an emaxx, 1 revo 2.5 and 4 revo 3.3, 2 rustler vxl, and 1 brushed erevo and 1 brushless erevo).

I understand that firmware can be changed on control boards to alter or obtain certain flight characteristics, but again, just saying it seems odd, especially given that Traxas has gone to using outside manufacturers for other products (Castle).
    Last edited by badaml; 11-22-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by badaml View Post

I understand that firmware can be changed on control boards to alter or obtain certain flight characteristics, but again, just saying it seems odd, especially given that Traxas has gone to using outside manufacturers for other products (Castle).
    Again you are making assumptions and stating them as fact that simply are not true. Why do you assume that just because the quad looks like other quads on the market that Traxxas is using an outside manufacturer? Then you bring Castle into this and it really starts to look like you are just trying to nit pick on Traxxas. Give it a rest already, you have stated your position more than once now but you do not have your facts straight.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power