Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traxxas helis!

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Without naming any brands, I wonder which experience Traxxas can use to improve the new birds to make them better than the others.
    I heard enough experiences about Traxxas support to know that it's one of the best around, but there is a limit to where it justifies the higher price.

I like Traxxas cars because I don't know of others for similar prices that have a better performance, more durability or just look better.

I hope that Traxxas is able to prove that I am wrong, but I think they will have a very hard time to conquer a place in the European market.
    Thanks. You have made your opinion very clear in a number of different threads. No need to beat a dead horse.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Man I think this is a great idea. I have a $20 cheap and I'd like to try a TRX Heli.
    I agree! I have a micro from another company that I have owned for 2 or 3 years and it flew fine for the price, but Sammy the Jack Russell took it out of the air with a vertical 5' leap and "crunched" it . So I'm in the market for another and these new Traxxas helis look good to me.
    Last edited by Jakey; 11-03-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    Thanks. You have made your opinion very clear in a number of different threads. No need to beat a dead horse.
    That sounds like I have been posting in many threads while there were only two. Maybe I should have been more clear and only have asked the question "What is Traxxas' added value on these products which makes them stand out in this specific market?".
    Nobody is born with experience.

I guess someone needs to do a build thread full of upgrades to see what the upside is.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the products page for the helis? The site returns a blank page; perhaps it's traffic related?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the products page for the helis? The site returns a blank page; perhaps it's traffic related?
    I thought it was my browser. For some reason Firefox and Explorer work a bit better than Chrome, but I have the same problems. I think it has something to do with the content itself.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    Yeah I've had problems on and off today. I think they are updating with new product info. They are adding models with a Lipo and balance charger included.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you guys look around, particularly at the quadcopter, there is nothing of this quality for the same price. There is another, very very similar new product out there buts priced higher than the traxxas and only includes one battery. IMO, if these are made to typical traxxas quality levels they are a bargain. Go ahead and buy a walmart heli... or one from an isle display at the mall. Then try to get upgrades, assistance or warranty for it. Were talking a difference in price of about $15-20 tops. For that much, your crazy NOT to buy a traxxas heli with all this support. Its a heli, dont fool yourself into thinking because they are small they are indestructable. Your going to need traxxas and will be super glad you paid whatever little amount more you paid for this one VS the cheap-o brand.

To the topic of size, same old same old. Traxxas is not a pro level, expert racing RC company. They make RC's for beginners that just so happen to be capable enough for even the most experienced drivers to love, upgrade and enjoy. Building a 450 size heli would have been a very very bad move because only the experienced pilots could and would fly it. Youd scare off the vast majority of buyers. Hate to break it to you guys who are upset its not larger, the market right now is on fire with micro copters and the micro quad is the hottest thing yet. Traxxas did EXACTLY what they should have done, and made the smartest move possible by offering a heli's anyone can own and fly staying true to their brand positioning in the process.

Im buying a quad copter and probably a 2nd one for my dad. They are super sweet. Check out the videos of a similar product on youtube... honestly, I was SUPER impressed with this style of vehicle. Way faster and way more capable than I ever expected.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    im trying to covince my dad to buy me one
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    If you guys look around, particularly at the quadcopter, there is nothing of this quality for the same price. There is another, very very similar new product out there buts priced higher than the traxxas and only includes one battery.
    I wonder where you have been looking and where your info comes from concerning the quality, but these are pretty bold statements.

RC Qualifier
    I hope that Traxxas is able to prove that I am wrong, but I think they will have a very hard time to conquer a place in the European market.
    The US market is not as good as the European market. We have to buy from Europe and Asia to get most quads or parts. Having a US manufacturer and support will be nice.
    Price wise, i just paid $85 for a different brand with similar design. It came with a dual charger and a 2.4 lcd 4ch TX with similar functions as this. By the time i paid shipping and bought more lipos i was past the $100 USD.

RC Qualifier
    I thought it was my browser. For some reason Firefox and Explorer work a bit better than Chrome, but I have the same problems. I think it has something to do with the content itself.
    Firefox and explorer suck they are so slow chrome ftw
    Traxxas should make a heli trailer you can buy to pull behind your traxxas rc vehicle
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The quality is simply a bi-product of what traxxas sells. Ive never seen them sell anything that was poor quality. Some items may have issues, but the quality is always better than expected.

The price comments are based on my own research. Ive been in the market for a micro heli, and since seeing the other brands micro quad, I was very seriously considering one. But the traxxas product is cheaper.

Traxxas simply doesnt sell junk... they never have. They sell products that have had issues in the past but never a vehicle that was junk. I have personally owned a number of $30-50 micro helis that were, simply, junk. I COULD be wrong and these helis could turn out to be traxxas's first crap product. But I HIGHLY doubt that will be the case.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The quality is simply a bi-product of what traxxas sells. Ive never seen them sell anything that was poor quality. Some items may have issues, but the quality is always better than expected.

The price comments are based on my own research. Ive been in the market for a micro heli, and since seeing the other brands micro quad, I was very seriously considering one. But the traxxas product is cheaper.

Traxxas simply doesnt sell junk... they never have. They sell products that have had issues in the past but never a vehicle that was junk. I have personally owned a number of $30-50 micro helis that were, simply, junk. I COULD be wrong and these helis could turn out to be traxxas's first crap product. But I HIGHLY doubt that will be the case.
    i hope you're right pave because this will be my first step into the Heli world. i couldnt pass on this deal because im used to paying $300+ for a truck, so $85 for a starter heli isnt bad to me at all. Hopefully it will broaden my horizons to try bigger scale heli's. IM ON THE TRAXXAS-HELI HYPE TRAIN

So far we have similar experiences.
    Traxxas just delivers good value for money.
    I have seen junk choppers too, but I also seen products that fit in that price range which are just as good as products that are in a range of double or even higher prices.
    I have the same confidence that this will be no junk product. I think we will know soon enough.

RC Enthusiast
    I want the qr-1 what would you other people want

RC Champion
    With out naming any other heli brands, Iv owed a few of these dual rotor style helis and they have become a "dime a dozen". Iv seen them for sale in 7-11s for crying out loud XD.

I did use to think that if Traxxas was ever going to get into the heli market, this type of heli would be a good step in the right direction.

Im already seeing things about the DR-1 that is making me curious such as the lack of a tail rotor. Most of the other dual rotor helis iv used have a rear rotor that comes on to move the heli forward or backward. The only heli that didnt have a rear rotor, moved forward on its own and didnt have the ability to hoover. If you look closely at the DR-1 it looks like its lower rotor maybe linked to a servo allowing them to be tilted for directional control. If thats the case then that would be a nice little leap in the mini dual rotor heli market.

Also that remote looks great. It looks like its going to be easy to trim the heli in flight and id take that 4ch 2.4ghz over the 2-3ch infared or AM bunk any day!

I bet this helis going to be very stable unlike some of the others. I just wonder how it will do against my ac and heating vents setup around my home :P
    Last edited by Foxprogt; 11-17-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

RC Champion
    Oh according to the manual, the lower rotors do tilt for directional control. Thats awesome! Odd thing is that some of the images in the manual shows a tail rotor on it X3

Hmmmmm i wonder if that could mean there might be a rear rotor conversion upgrade kit for this heli O.o
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

Quote Originally Posted by Foxprogt View Post
    Oh according to the manual, the lower rotors do tilt for directional control. Thats awesome! Odd thing is that some of the images in the manual shows a tail rotor on it X3

Hmmmmm i wonder if that could mean there might be a rear rotor conversion upgrade kit for this heli O.o
    Using a swashplate to control pitch is very common on hobby grade coaxials. It's probably a less complex and lighter than attaching an additional motor way out back.
    I don't know where you are looking, but the only optional tail parts I see are for the tail boom braces. I see no tail rotor on any of images in the manual.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I see no tail rotor on any of images in the manual.

look at the images of how to turn the heli on in the "getting started" section. There is a second pic in the "flying your model" section. it shows a rear view of the heli and you can see the sideways facing rotor :P
    Last edited by Foxprogt; 11-17-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

look at the images of how to turn the heli on in the "getting started" section. There is a second pic in the "flying your model" section. it shows a rear view of the heli and you can see the sideways facing rotor :P
    Yes, there they are. My guess: No way this model will have that. Coaxial helis with tail rotors have the rotor blades facing UP, correct? Have you seen coaxials with a tail rotor in that orientation?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-17-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Yes, there they are. My guess: No way this model will have that. Coaxial helis with tail rotors have the rotor blades facing UP, correct? Have you seen coaxials with a tail rotor in that orientation?
    I have seen both orientations.

Okay. I guess we'll just see what Traxxas comes up with.

If the DR-1 has a tail rotor, I will eat my stockings for Christmas.

RC Racer
    A tail rotor, on a coaxial, in the standard side way position would serve no purpose what so ever... A tail rotor on a heli is there to counter act the forces of the spinning main blades. On a coaxial theres no need... On a Coaxial, two sets of main blades spin in the opposite direction, cancelling out the rotational force of each other. Its what makes them a LOT easier to fly, they're really stable all on their own. Its like a chinook helicopter, it has no tail rotor, the big main rotors spin in the opposite direction. Except instead of front and back , a coaxial puts the rotors on top one another. Ive only seen a tail rotor that faces up on a coaxial, and its used to provide fwd backward motion.

Quote Originally Posted by jem450r View Post
    A tail rotor, on a coaxial, in the standard side way position would serve no purpose what so ever... A tail rotor on a heli is there to counter act the forces of the spinning main blades. On a coaxial theres no need... On a Coaxial, two sets of main blades spin in the opposite direction, cancelling out the rotational force of each other. Its what makes them a LOT easier to fly, they're really stable all on their own. Its like a chinook helicopter, it has no tail rotor, the big main rotors spin in the opposite direction. Except instead of front and back , a coaxial puts the rotors on top one another. Ive only seen a tail rotor that faces up on a coaxial, and its used to provide fwd backward motion.
    All true, but if you dont want to manage the turning by varying the rpm of the main rotors, you can do it with a tail rotor.
    Both ways of tail rotors are used. I agree that it is not necessary, but some manufacurers just did it that way.

If the DR-1 has a tail rotor, I will eat my stockings for Christmas.
    I'm going to hold you to this...
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I'm going to hold you to this...
    No problem.... oh, by the way... do you see a tail rotor here?

Here is the horizontal tail rotor on a dual blade:

And here is one with a vertical rotor:

RC Champion
    Okay. I guess we'll just see what Traxxas comes up with.

You add a side facing tail rotor and you would no longer need the top rotor as long as the lower rotor are tiltable like the DR-1s.

I could see traxxas coming out with a rear rotor kit that shows you how to install it and remove the top rotor to convert the DR-1 into a more traditional single rotor heli taking the flyer to the next level in rc helis :0

That sounds like it wouldnt be to hard for traxxas to pull off and it would put them on the micro rc helis map for sure. I think that would be awesome!

Unless an other company already makes a convertible kit like that.
    Last edited by Foxprogt; 11-18-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

You add a side facing tail rotor and you would no longer need the top rotor as long as the lower rotor are tiltable like the DR-1s.

I could see traxxas coming out with a rear rotor kit that shows you how to install it and remove the top rotor to convert the DR-1 into a more traditional single rotor heli taking the flyer to the next level in rc helis :0

That sounds like it wouldnt be to hard for traxxas to pull off and it would put them on the micro rc helis map for sure. I think that would be awesome!

Unless an other company already makes a convertible kit like that.
    You would need a new design for the electronics for that. If the turning already works without a tail rotor, there is no point adding one. It would only add parts that can break, so I don't see the purpose of it, except for a possible 'cool factor'.