RC Competitor

Rally/Mustang questions

I finally indulged and decided to pick up a rally roller since the prices seem to be dropping with the 1/10 scale being released. I briefly owned a MERV and found I didn't really like it compared to my p2de and slash(es), so I traded it before really getting to play with the innards of the bugger.

That said, I have a few questions that I could dig answers out of the threads I've been perusing so I figured I'd ask away. This community seems as helpful as the people over on the pede/monster jam forums so I'm bound to get some quality info.

My roller should be here when I get out of work, so I can get my hands on it then, but I'm gonna hit a few of the lhs to grab some necessary pieces. So - onto the questions:

1. Obviously I want to put bearings in at the knuckles, but what other bearings and sizes will I need? I think I read something about in the rocker arms?

2. I'm planning on running a SV2 / CC4600 power plant. I already have the mounts and such, but I'm worried about blowing the shafts off the little guy with that motor. As I'm not really looking to bash this one, am I ok with the stock shafts? Are there heavier duty plastic shafts or do I need to look to CVDs?

3. I've been seeing aluminum, graphite and plastic rocker arms online. Any advantage to running those over the stockers? I really like the look of the HR arms, but I'm not fond of upgrading pieces that are more functional left as is.

4. It's essential to shim the diffs in a MERV, I assume the same goes for its on road half brother? I was told a one way center diff is needed to keep the nose from smashing into the ground upon braking (Granted this is the same guy that runs his trucks like an idiot and argued that diffs can't leak fluid). Any truth to that, or is it more of a shock setup issue?

5. Aluminum knuckles, steel hollow balls, steel push rods, new springs for the shocks... Anything else I'm missing? I assume rpm arms are more for bashing, so ill pass on those for now.

6. What weight oil/fluid is considered standard for running? 10k? 30k?

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    1. The knuckles should have bearings in it from factory.
    8 rocker bearings (4 of 5124) and 2 steering post bearings (1 of 5114) are all that is needed to make it full ball bearing.

2. I popped shafts all the time until I installed a center differential. If you decide to go with steel shafts as there are no plastic upgrades, be sure to get Traxxas shafts... if available. All others have failed, at least in Revo's and Summits.... not sure if they make them for the shorter Rally's and Mustangs.

3. Some say the rocker arms flex too much... they are so small I don't see how they really improve much of anything.

4. Shimming is a cheap preventative measure... even if it really isn't needed it only costs some time and a few dollars, so why not? It isn't going to hurt anything.
    I am not sure of the center differential claim... I know it helps the RC take corners sharper by only powering the rear in corners, so I am not sure how it will help keep the weight from transferring forward while braking?? sounds fishy to me.

5. I am still running stock knuckles and arms on my Mustang. The body actually takes most of the blows when clipping curbs and such. That list is only going to improve your RC...

6. I run 30k front and rear in mine... with 50k in the center.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Excellent information, thank you kindly.

There were no bearings to be had at the LHS(es) that I stopped by that I was willing to pay for ($4.99 a bearing! No thank you, sir!) And no one had the associated shims, so looks like I'll be putting in an order anyhow.

Boy, it is sure a small world!
    I just noticed you only live a few hours away from me. lol

RC Competitor
    Used to go to school in Mt. Pleasant. There's a few people around here that are in the area.

RC Competitor
    Will any 1/16 center diff work in all 1/16 models?
    I have a 1/16 Mustang boss 302(was brushed now brushless)looking to add a center diff to even out power when racing at local track what part number is the diff?

RC Competitor
    Thanks for saying