RC Qualifier

When I...Would You...Should I

In my brain I have worked out the plans for a coupler that would let the Flex Shaft's brass tube slip into, and would connect to the rear strut. This would keep the grease from spooging around the grommet at the back of the boat with out the need of using non-factory parts. It would also allow, the otherwise spent grease to be used in the strut, and would relocate any spent grease to the propeller end of the strut (where it would be easier to cleaned off).

When I make this, would you guyz like for me to post pictures of the construction steps needed, or should I just mind my own darn business, shut the heck up, and quit bugging you guyz about goofy mods? (lol)

The reason why I'm asking first is; it would be better (and easier) to take pictures as I'm putting things together, rather than taking (what I can) apart latter to take pictures. So, if you guyz are interested let me know, and my next Mod Post will be better illustrated.

RC Qualifier
    I did this mod way back. It works well to retain more grease on the flex cable/wire drive, and has the added benefit of helping to keep the strut in alignment.

The way I did the mod, it is a bit more finicky trying to set the initial strut angle because the stuffing tube contacts the strut, so you also have to adjust the stuffing tube length so it holds the strut where you want it. IMO opinion, worth the effort for a solid strut that is difficult to knock out of alignment.

I certainly would be interested in seeing your approach to this mod.

hog

RC Qualifier
    I second on that HOG, do you have pictures of yours as well, Reglardude just post whenever it works or not, it's a kind of expirement, but one thing is your scandalous cap pack pics. were deleted, what happened?
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    I do have pictures, but I struggle with the editing, uploading, and posting of pics. I tried for a long time, but find it time consuming and frustrating, so don't bother trying anymore.

All I did was drill out the bushing on the back of the strut with a 1/4" drill to a depth of approx 4mm (1/8 - 5/32") to create a "seating" area for the stuffing tube.

Then I cut a a new stuffing tube to length from 1/4" K&S brass tube. Sorry I don't remember the length off hand, but just measure the gap between the end of the stock stuffing tube and the strut and add that length, PLUS the depth you drill out the strut bushing, and you will be pretty close.

You can adjust the length of the stuffing tube a few mm one way or the other by loosening the stuffing tube clamp at the motor end of the component tray.

I have to trim my stuffing tube length pretty close because I run the Aeromarine coupler and don't have a lot of room between the stuffing tube clamp and the end of the coupler, you can file the end a bit if necessary to get the fit right for your setup.

When you adjust the stuffing tube length to achieve the correct strut angle, you have to pull the tray, adjust the length forward or back a bit, then re-tighten the clamp before putting the tray back in place. You can't leave the clamp loose because fitting the stuffing tube through the grommet will move the stuffing tube out of place. This is the finicky part, but after you have done it a couple times, you can usually get things dialed in pretty quickly and only remove the tray 2-3 times to get the setting you want.

hog

PS I Know pics would help, anyone interested can PM me an e-mail address and I will send what I have direct to you.

RC Qualifier
    PM you already, thanks

RC Qualifier
    Hog,

Kevin
    Thanks for sharing,
    I know what you did there, but I already upgraded to a .187 flex cable and upgraded the brass tube with teflon, so at the end of that tube is just the length of the rubber grommet, but I can do this set-up with my castle esc, cause everything there were stock. I will work on this after my new esc & motor set-up, for I am waiting on my soldering iron to arrive.