Thread: Stumped...

Hybrid View

RC Champion

Stumped...

So my new GREEN rally should be here the end of next week. Now, here is the dilema, I have a castle 2400sct combo and the 2200 MM combo. Looking to do the Mip's in the rear, maybe Tekno's not to sure yet. So out of the 2 motor setup's what would you all do. I know the 2400 on 3s or 4s is a beast. The 2200 need's 4s or higher to run at it's optimum. Leaning toward's the 2400 as the 2200 seem's like way wat overkill. Not that this is a bad thing.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

In my opinion the 2200 needs too much voltage and is just a tad too powerful.
    The 2400 is a beautiful motor which brings you 10% more RPM at the same voltage.
    I would also prefer the 2650 above the 2200.
    Nobody is born with experience.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    In my opinion the 2200 needs too much voltage and is just a tad too powerful.
    The 2400 is a beautiful motor which brings you 10% more RPM at the same voltage.
    I would also prefer the 2650 above the 2200.
    I agree with Petertje. The 2650 is a great neu-castle motor at that. 4S would be fun but I think you would find that running that much voltage would wear and break parts more often. I try my best to stay around 3S with the Sl4sh & Rally platform. The 2200 screams on 4S and above on the ERBE & EMBE. Tons of power on tap.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You want a balance between KV and required voltage. Anything lower than 2400kv (which is, IMO, too low for anything less than 3S) will require too much voltage to be realistic. A 4S pack is heavy and unnecessary when there are higher KV motor choices out there.

The 2200 is also a heavier motor than the 2400. In a car like this, weight will become a factor so you dont want to be adding any unnecessary weight. The 2400 is a good choice, the 2650 is surprisingly very similar in weight but is larger in diameter so that may be an issue for gearing. Not sure. The 3800 may be the sweet spot on 2S but I havent heard any reviews on how it works so far.

If you want to run 3S, go with the 2400. If you want to run 2S, go with something with more KV like the 3800 or similar. It would be so nice if Castle would make a 3200-3400 kv (or somewhere in that neighbourhood) 4 pole motor. It would really bridge the gap between the 2400 and the 3800. It would also be sweet if it used the same (or similar) can as the 2400... 550 size motor so it had excessive torque. Tekin makes a 550 size motor thats, I think, 4000kv. That would probably be a decent choice. I went with novak just to try it. We'll see how it works out.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    You want a balance between KV and required voltage. Anything lower than 2400kv (which is, IMO, too low for anything less than 3S) will require too much voltage to be realistic. A 4S pack is heavy and unnecessary when there are higher KV motor choices out there.

The 2200 is also a heavier motor than the 2400. In a car like this, weight will become a factor so you dont want to be adding any unnecessary weight. The 2400 is a good choice, the 2650 is surprisingly very similar in weight but is larger in diameter so that may be an issue for gearing. Not sure. The 3800 may be the sweet spot on 2S but I havent heard any reviews on how it works so far.

If you want to run 3S, go with the 2400. If you want to run 2S, go with something with more KV like the 3800 or similar. It would be so nice if Castle would make a 3200-3400 kv (or somewhere in that neighbourhood) 4 pole motor. It would really bridge the gap between the 2400 and the 3800. It would also be sweet if it used the same (or similar) can as the 2400... 550 size motor so it had excessive torque. Tekin makes a 550 size motor thats, I think, 4000kv. That would probably be a decent choice. I went with novak just to try it. We'll see how it works out.
    I was just thinking that the other day.
    I think 3000-3250 kv would be better
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Due to Sandy my rally will be 2 week's late.

RC Champion
    Do you think that running the 2400 on 2s would not be a good thing. couldn't I gear it safe?

RC Champion
    Okay so I'm set on using the 2400 sct setup running 3s and maybe a 4s once in a while and powerstroke/D8 shock's. I have another 120 I can spend. Should I get;

1. tekno R driveshaft's
    2. tekno center bone
    3. aluminium rear carrier's, steering block's and c-hub's
    4. ?

I saw the 3800 costs only $50 today direct from the Castle site....

RC Champion
    Not sure how it would be running on 3s paired with the MMP though.

Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    Great combo. You just have to be a bit more careful with gearing that with the 2400. On the other hand you get more RPM and less stress on the driveline. It's a matter of deciding what is more important, huge amounts of powers and driveline parts breaking, or a little less power and maybe heat issues a bit sooner but no driveline troubles.

It's a balance you can't change. If one side goes down, the other goes up.

RC Champion
    I disagree to the great combo on 3's. I can never get through a pack on 3's with a 3800kv on a 4x4 application. 2wd ok, but nadda on the 4x4. Temps are not acceptable. Sure if you wanna gear right down.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC Champion
    desided to do the 2400 with MMP.

desided to do the 2400 with MMP.
    You made a wise choice. I think you will love that combo. So far its been a beast in my Rally! I ran a couple of 3S packs through the car on Turkey Day in grass and on cement. The hottest it got was around 130 at 70 ambient. Pretty much WOT 85% of the time. I need to gear it up another 4 teeth though. LOL It's a very good balance between speed & torque and a perfect size motor can.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Ftw and put a new fuze 1900kv wp motor/esc in it

Sc love!!!

RC Champion
    I was thinking of just grabbing the 5mm shaft 3800kv from Castle during there sale but the 2400 just give's me a wider range of power and temp's will be low. Beside's I just found a good deal on a new 2400 motor.

I was thinking of just grabbing the 5mm shaft 3800kv from Castle during there sale but the 2400 just give's me a wider range of power and temp's will be low. Beside's I just found a good deal on a new 2400 motor.
    With this motor you won't have to worry about temps like you would with the 3800. The 2400 slipped right on in and bolted up without any mods. I think it would be a great combo for this and the Slash 4x4 to come as an optional upgrade from Traxxas vs the VXL-3S 3500.

Which motor can did you pick up the Castle green or the Traxxas blue?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Motor and esc 150 shipped. It is the same esc as the traxxas but with the castle green motor. Now just to get ahold of the guy. If I don't end up with that one I have the 2400SCT currently in my 4x4 and will just drop it in the rally and let the 4x4 have the 2200/MM. So win, win either way.

RC Champion
    Well the 2400/MMP is in the "GreenMachine" I now have these beauty's to put in;

and these for drifting;

Battery expansion kit
    Green wheel nut's
    green front and rear spring's
    RPM shock guard's
    Traxxas aluminium slipper adapter

This will be a busy weekend. But should have her running with the new part's and hopefully video.

Nice!! So you went with rear Traxxas CVD's only?? Looks like you are going to beat me to the punch. haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    "So you went with rear Traxxas CVD's only??" I can only slip a little by the wife this time of year. End of December I'll have the new one's.

"So you went with rear Traxxas CVD's only??" I can only slip a little by the wife this time of year. End of December I'll have the new one's.
    That's kewl man. I was just curious. Some people only upgrade the rear.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I also read the slash 4x4 thread where someone had already had a failure. I want them but if the rear's don't last I doubt the front's would fair any better. I'll have them, all in due time.

I also read the slash 4x4 thread where someone had already had a failure. I want them but if the rear's don't last I doubt the front's would fair any better. I'll have them, all in due time.
    Yeah I read the same thread. I'll be running 3S only with them so either they will hang or not. I have both Fr/Rr of them installed but have yet to run them. I might end up charging a pack and giving them a spin.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Just out of curiosity, what are the part numbers on those green springs?
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Champion
    3758a fronts
    3757a rear's. They are the stock Gravedigger spring's. Same rate as the Rusty spring's. they worked good on my slash 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Those will look good on my Monster Slash!
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Champion
    I just hope that if they do break Traxxas will replace them or refund my money. After how they claim they had no failure's of any kind running them with high powered system's.