Thread: Hot motor

RC Competitor

Hot motor

Hi all I was just wondering how hot should the motor get on my slash ultimate? It has all the standard gear on it (velineon motor and vxl esc) and is running stock gears with 2s lipo 5800mah battery.
    I manly drive on a big open grass field after which I feel the esc which is usually cool to the touch but the motor is so hot I can barely touch it.
    Is this normal or should I be worried??

RC Qualifier
    i dont have a IR heat gun so i usually check it every once in awhile and if it gets to where i can't keep my finger on the for even a second i quit running it. Not sure the temp, 50t will probably answer that one for you shortly.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    50t is off right now, might not get a answer til everyone wakes up, hope i helped a little.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    for a grassy field I would gear down. Sounds like its time to get a temp gun one can be had for around 10$ not near what it cost for a replacement motor. You will also find other uses for it.

RC Champion
    As stated above if the motor is too hot you need to gear down, gearing down will give you more torque, (low end response) and less top end.
    High temps really hurt the magnets in any motor. Too much heat can and will demagnetize the magnets looseing low end torque.
    Last edited by orca44; 11-02-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added content
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis