Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

Stephan81's Rally Build!!

Well, went to the post office and had a couple packages to pick up. One was the Rally. Here's the pics I just took, man this thing looks sweet

LOL I checked before opening and made sure it was the Orange/Black (fastest model of course). See the White dot, YES! Confirmed!!

I will be using this thread and updating as I install and change stuff. I plan on running it stock for a bit and I'll go from there. I promised myself to just run this and have fun with it and upgrade as I go, unlike the usual where the thing has 1grand in parts put into it before it even touches the floor LOL. I have a Savox 1258tg I'll throw in there fairly quickly, MMP and 3800/2400kv down the road. Have a few surprises on order already, (ill post pics and updates when they come in).

Got a pair of badlands here with some 17mm adapters. I'll get some pics up tonight in a bit, trick or treating time here soon with the boy.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Champion
    Not sure what color has do with speed but...............isn't the 'Blue' pictured 1st on the box? Just saying.......LOL

Looks like your idea of holding off on upgrades has already been foiled! Tires, 17mm adaptors and servo and stuff on order..............sure you're gonna wait LOL

RC Qualifier
    Orange is definitely the fastest and best! Love it, looks like mine
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    ^^ haha... BAM!!! Right in the kisser.seriously though.... The orange looks sick.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwoo View Post
    if you're a girl
    Nah bro, you thinking blue and green. Orange is where its at

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    Not sure what color has do with speed but...............isn't the 'Blue' pictured 1st on the box? Just saying.......LOL

Looks like your idea of holding off on upgrades has already been foiled! Tires, 17mm adaptors and servo and stuff on order..............sure you're gonna wait LOL
    LOL. Ya, it's hard to not want to throw this stuff on with it all laying around.

Figured I would bolt these up see what they look like. I think I would need to trim the rear a tiny bit, not much though and wouldn't even be able to tell, even with the stock tires looks like I may trim a little off the back.

Split Six wheels with 1/8 Badlands

Last edited by Stephan81; 11-01-2012 at 02:01 AM.

RC Qualifier
    When you putting the MMP in it?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    First off, Congrats my friend!!

Uh huh!!!! We got it going on bro!!! We just so happen to live many miles apart. LOL I told myself I was going to keep this one stock. That happened for about 5 minutes after driving it. Even though the stock VXL-3S 3500 is a very nice setup in it. Moving up to the ET-3S 2400 is a beast. When you yank the motor you will notice in the pan of the chassis how they suspected people to yank it fairly quick. Nothing had to be mod'd for it to fit. I'm pretty sure a 2200 or 2650 would fit like a glove also. I have mine geared 17/54, thinking about going up to 20/54 then from there.

The badlands on Split-6's look totally sweet on there. Lets see how long you actually keep it stock.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    When you putting the MMP in it?
    Not sure, I'll run the VXL3's for a while and see how that goes, I pretty much run strictly 3's with all my RC's. Will see how my temps are. Time of the year here as well, rains A LOT! I mean A LOT. So that's another reason why I'm sticking with the stock power system for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    First off, Congrats my friend!!

Uh huh!!!! We got it going on bro!!! We just so happen to live many miles apart. LOL I told myself I was going to keep this one stock. That happened for about 5 minutes after driving it. Even though the stock VXL-3S 3500 is a very nice setup in it. Moving up to the ET-3S 2400 is a beast. When you yank the motor you will notice in the pan of the chassis how they suspected people to yank it fairly quick. Nothing had to be mod'd for it to fit. I'm pretty sure a 2200 or 2650 would fit like a glove also. I have mine geared 17/54, thinking about going up to 20/54 then from there.

The badlands on Split-6's look totally sweet on there. Lets see how long you actually keep it stock.
    Thanks Digger!! You know, I was sitting there last night and was bored, kid and wife were in bed and I was bored (I dont watch tv or anything, usually take this time for RC's and MX). I was going to start overhauling and installing all this stuff on the rally I had to hold back. Hahaha!! I just like working on trucks, what can I say! So I started working on my rusty build, atleast it gave me something to work on.

Sway Bars will probably go on today! And of course Ill be running it today as well, even though it's just pouring out. I'll be honest it's going to be hard for me to bring it out in this weather, lets just say when I get home I will be taking it all apart and drying/cleaning it all off. I usually never run in wet conditions, then again, I run castle electronics in all my trucks so far.

Also looking into possibly my first sensored setup, been wanting to try one for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Sway Bars will probably go on today! And of course Ill be running it today as well, even though it's just pouring out. I'll be honest it's going to be hard for me to bring it out in this weather, lets just say when I get home I will be taking it all apart and drying/cleaning it all off. I usually never run in wet conditions, then again, I run castle electronics in all my trucks so far.

Also looking into possibly my first sensored setup, been wanting to try one for a while.
    I got my sway bars in yesterday but just couldnt get myself to the work table last night to work on them. An evening of 'trick or treating' wore me out. LOL Yeah i'm basically all castle to. I've thought about wondering off but have yet to do it though.

I havent seen your Rusty build?
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 11-01-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I got my sway bars in yesterday but just couldnt get myself to the work table last night to work on them. An evening of 'trick or treating' wore me out. LOL Yeah i'm basically all castle to. I've thought about wondering off but have yet to do it though.

I havent seen your Rusty build?
    That's because I haven't made a thread about it, I have been taking pics though as I go a long, maybe I will post the build thread tonight. A bunch of my parts came in today so I can resume and build most of it, been waiting on my screw kit from Hexheads for a while now, finally came in Same with my pro-trac kit (first time ever with the pro-trac for me).

Anyway, these came in with the parts. I will probably attempt to glue these up tonight(I've heard they are not fun at all, the OFNA tires that is). Not to sure when I will do the body, not in a hurry (or maybe I should paint it up real quick to be the first with it on the rally? LOL j/k Pave). Some PL Knuckles with Split Six wheels, PL StreetFighters for my Beadloc wheels, STRC Orange Rings (above the mat Misc parts for other builds, JQ Washers, Slayer Rods, Glitch Busters for Savox Servos etc...) Have some more stuff on it's way as well for the Rally that I am pretty excited to get.

That being said I didn't get to run the Rally today, had a bunch of stuff come up Oh well, got a couple Lipos ready to go and I will be heading out in the morning after I drop the boy off at school. I'll be messing with some of this stuff when I get some " me " time tonight once the household is asleep.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 11-01-2012 at 09:02 PM.

RC Champion
    Street Fighters w/STRC Rings. I like them Might need to trim the rear a tiny bit which I planned on doing anyway.

RC Champion
    PL Knuckles/Split Six Wheels

Fan-ma-tastic!!! I'm not sure which tire combo I like the best. Can I like them all?? Let me know if you are un-interested in any of them. haha j/k The rings look sweet, the color seems to match up perfectly.

Keep up the good work my friend.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Thanks man Yeah I like the look of the rings on the beadlocs. Wasn't to sure how they would look. Not to bad, offset seems to be fine as well.

Well, figured last night I would take it out of the bag, then I grabbed the scissors and just couldn't stop LOL. Looks like a perfect fit, it's resting on the mounts F/R (not reamed yet). If anything might need to trim the wheel wells a tiny bit, same as the stock body. Going to look through my paint masks and figure out a theme or I might just go 1 color? Who knows.

Was thinking maybe outlaw black as main color and fluorescent orange. But I am scared to use the orange, every single time I have ever used the pactra fluorescent colors they didn't turn out well. I put really thin coats on, thinner than I usually do, and it still ran and didn't look good. Thought there was something wrong with the can, but another can of green did the same thing. Any pointers/hints from people who have used it? I have some scrap Lexan maybe I should practice on that.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 11-02-2012 at 10:47 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Come on we need video with that new GoPro you just got .
    I need something to watch with no cable or power!
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    That set of strc rock rings (don't know what they call um) look awesome on this car! I see some cool things coming up in this forum lol. Oh ya, that lil poke to Pave..... priceless! I know he is laughing, and the lil laughs are good. Im sure he is itching to get some paint layer down. I got mine yesterday, trimmed it up, mounted it up, now its just a smooth ride till Tuesday lol. If he's not on the board with pix by Tuesday night, im posting lol.

Have you ever had the moment when you read a thread, see something you've done, then thought "cool? Im having that moment. I see slayer links and spacers! Yes.. awesome! I was heading in the same direction.... p2de forum, rusty, my sl4sh, and know here eighths slayer links. I love it something so simple, so effective. I've beat the life out of a few ...lol.. ok, all my trucks. The ones with slayer links have never needed any other link or replacement sends I've added them. I feel like it one of the must hop ups on my list and I'm always looking for a way to incorporate them into all my trucks or something similar in size/strength. Can wait to see them mounted up. The dreadedend of stock or bent links!
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by YOLOer View Post
    Come on we need video with that new GoPro you just got .
    I need something to watch with no cable or power!
    Ya sorry man lol. It's been raining non stop here. I still haven't even run it yet (I know I know, sad). Everytime I go to head out it's starts pouring LOL. Not worried about the rally but I am not into getting drenched LOL. And now I am back to work, and of course, rained all day today to

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    That set of strc rock rings (don't know what they call um) look awesome on this car! I see some cool things coming up in this forum lol. Oh ya, that lil poke to Pave..... priceless! I know he is laughing, and the lil laughs are good. Im sure he is itching to get some paint layer down. I got mine yesterday, trimmed it up, mounted it up, now its just a smooth ride till Tuesday lol. If he's not on the board with pix by Tuesday night, im posting lol.

Have you ever had the moment when you read a thread, see something you've done, then thought "cool? Im having that moment. I see slayer links and spacers! Yes.. awesome! I was heading in the same direction.... p2de forum, rusty, my sl4sh, and know here eighths slayer links. I love it something so simple, so effective. I've beat the life out of a few ...lol.. ok, all my trucks. The ones with slayer links have never needed any other link or replacement sends I've added them. I feel like it one of the must hop ups on my list and I'm always looking for a way to incorporate them into all my trucks or something similar in size/strength. Can wait to see them mounted up. The dreadedend of stock or bent links!
    Thanks Dread. No man, those links are for another build (rustler), but, I am sure I'll get a set for the Rally as well.

Anyway, I decided and ordered up some paint. Outlaw Black/Competition Orange/Fiery orange. Not to sure which I will use, most likely Competition Orange, Fiery looks a little to dark for my liking, although it would match those STRC rings perfectly but I aint digging the fiery orange as much, oh well that color could go on another body down the road.

Anyway, I decided and ordered up some paint. Outlaw Black/Competition Orange/Fiery orange. Not to sure which I will use, most likely Competition Orange, Fiery looks a little to dark for my liking, although it would match those STRC rings perfectly but I aint digging the fiery orange as much, oh well that color could go on another body down the road.
    Good paint choices! Any thoughts of maybe using both oranges in flames? I've never seen both colors in person to see if they could work together. Don't see a reason why they wouldnt. Maybe stripes with both colors one outlining the other. It would bring the color out of the beadlock rings. LOL Just a thought.

Oh and BTW I ordered a Focus shell to and a couple paints to go with it. Darn it!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Yup, I was possible thinking that as well, orange flames or something with the fiery orange outlining it. Can't wait to see what you do with yours? What colors did you go with?

Good paint choices! Any thoughts of maybe using both oranges in flames? I've never seen both colors in person to see if they could work together. Don't see a reason why they wouldnt. Maybe stripes with both colors one outlining the other. It would bring the color out of the beadlock rings. LOL Just a thought.

Oh and BTW I ordered a Focus shell to and a couple paints to go with it. Darn it!!
    Well, ran it today for the first time. Man, this thing is sweeeeeet! Loved it. Handles awesome and it was better than I expected, you can get some serious drifting going on. Only complaint was it was a little slow for what I am used to, I wanted more POWER LOL, I should of brought my 3's pack with me, but figured I would give 2's a try for the first run. Loving the tires to Running stock gearing by the way, didn't touch a thing so far.

I am going to run 3's next time see how I am liking the temps after some hard running. Who knows we may see a castle system dropped in it hehe

And she looked like this 30minutes later after getting back Had a little bath.

I did take a video but that lasted all of 30 seconds and it was was to shaky, had it mounted on the roof abviously not a good spot as it is to flimsy, it ended with me hitting a pole and the camera flying off the car LOL, must not of been stuck on well enough hehe.

Here's the most terrible video ever LOL. Not sure what happened with the quality when I uploaded it but the raw file on my computer looks no where near that. Must be where I uploaded it, anyways kinda funny, camera and car were fine, had to bend the body and pop it back into place.

http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/...t=GOPR0122.mp4
    Last edited by Stephan81; 11-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.

I am going to run 3's next time see how I am liking the temps after some hard running. Who knows we may see a castle system dropped in it hehe
    It won't take ya long to get one in there. At least run the stock system through winter/ rainy months then go Castle. Another idea would be to get a Flux Vapor Pro (which is a waterproof Sv2) and slap it in there. Its good for up to 3 cell. Just an idea. LOL

BTW clear out your inbox. I havent been able to respond to your last PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I've done a couple bodies up with the florescent paint and have always had some good luck. even accidently came across a pretty cool marble look. I used some of the paint for a air brush and just used a regular ole paint brush and i didn't get full coverage on it and after i sprayed the white backing i got a pretty sweet marble look. looked good enough where people thought i did it on purpose. So that was the story i went with...lol

RC Champion
    Here's a few pics, had this body laying around and was interested to see it mounted up. Rulux wheels, just dyed them black today.

Had some blue RPM Shaft Guards laying around, dyed them as well. Same with the springs lol, they look like Gun Metal

RC Champion
    Dyed the chassis. Looks really good and came out well. Have some " gun metal " springs lol and shaft guards to install as well as you see in the pics in previous post.

Ran yesterday, put a couple 2's packs through it. And a 3's pack. As I suspected the 3's was intense hehe, but temps were not good. I think I will stick with 2's while I have the VXL in here, just going to gear up a couple teeth and see where I am at.

I bought a Reedy 3500kv 4 pole Motor (all black ) at a really good price and thought for what I am paying for it, if I like it then great, if not I can throw it in another truck no big deal. Will see how it does I'll compare the temps running on 2's.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 11-09-2012 at 01:52 AM.

RC Champion
    Well, I went out with the Rally yesterday with 3 packs ready and charged. Lasted about 5minutes and I blew a shock cap. Headed home and refilled the shock with oil, and headed back out. Same thing same spot LOL, about another few minutes in blew another shock cap. I know, I know, aluminum caps and I am good to go. But I had to go that extra step lol. They feel real nice and plush Was either these shocks or some Ten-T's I got laying around.

From the few cartwheels I had yesterday, there is a couple spots that are showing some wear and close to cracking. So I decided last night to start reinforcing the body a little. Still not done, was late and called it a night, need to finish it today.

RC Qualifier
    what is that you using to reinforce the body? some kind of cloth tap and glue?
    1/10 Rally/MERV/REVO .26 Max/BL RUSTY 4Tec/FE Boat

RC Champion
    Drywall mesh tape and Shoo Goo Works great.

RC Champion
    Been waiting for these to come in now for about 3 weeks. Sweep Racing Belted Tires

Painted up the Focus body yesterday. I will post some pics up in a bit.

RC Champion
    Well here it is painted up. Didn't end up using the Fiery orange with it. Oh well, really simple but I like the look. I will order another one up and go a lot more into detail on the next one.

Flash makes it look a lot brighter than it is.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, this belted tire should be good for 100mph+ and very beautiful body paint, the car look scale (real car) with the proline body and the low profile tire
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

Yup, those sweeps are the ones weve all been looking for. Good job on being the guinea pig for them. I figured they would fit but to get them to canada woudl cost nearly $100 for a set. Crazy. Can you take a pic of them beside the stock tires so we can see a size comparison.

Nice looking setup with them on man. I really like it. Those are the tires/wheels ill be using for onroad running for sure.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Yup they were a little pricey, not to bad but then I think shipping was like $25. Can't wait to run these I am looking forward to it. I was reading your build thread, and I kind of feel the same as you with this body, I like the look of the Stock one better, I specially don't like the boxey look on the front fenders. Can't wait for a clear TRX Body.

Here's a few pics

Wonder how the shafts will hold up with those bad boys on there lol. They feel a little heavy Will see I guess.

Dude your Rally came out clean. It's a shame we live so far a part. We'd have a freaking blast running the streets. LOL

I think I'm going to have to pick up a set of street treads in the near future.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Those are the best size of any replacement tire I've seen so far. Getting a set. Done deal.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I seen em on Ebay might get away with cheaper that way. But the rims are white, only black ones I seen were with slicks.

RC Champion
    A little late LOL. Since I got it a while ago. But thought I would share anyway. A little video of the first time out with this Rally. All stock, SPC 2's Lipo.

RC Champion
    Well, battery expansion finally came in. Same with my STRC Gun Metal Shock Caps ( I took the PL shocks off and added aluminum caps to the stockers, wont be doing any big jumps or anything, stockers with caps should be good). Also did a little wiring as you can see. Not finished. Going to do them all orange. Same with the ESC/Battery connections.

Center Diff came in

Decided to go with a gun metal theme and orange I have a STRC Electronics Plate and STRC Center Shaft both in Gun Metal on order. Same with a Outerwears Shroud in Orange. Parts are very slowly coming in, must be because of the time of year.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 11-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Man Stephan that car is look'n way 'HOT'!! Fine build there Sir!! I'm definitely digg'n the orange wrap. I'd like to know how the center diff works out for ya. I had a blast this past weekend with the slipper and slipping and sliding all over the cement. I got real good at getting the tail end to grab doing 180°.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Nice build so far!

Just a quick question, what exactly does the center diff do?

RC Racer
    why did you take the PL Shocks off?
    Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16