RC Racer

Slash for racing

Is the Slash 4x4 any good for racing, is it a competitive platform or would it need a lot of upgrades or mods to make it competitive against other sct brands in the same class. Would it be considered a good racing truck or more of a beginner/basher sort of truck.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Qualifier
    I spent a small fortune making my 2WD Slash competitive with the SC-10s and XXX-SCTs.

It can be done, but the cost/benefit ratio is all out of whack.

By the time you've put all those parts on it, it is only about 20% Slash anyway...

Well... The slash 4x4 is alright. You can use it stock but it might not work the best.

The list of parts you will need...

Better tires

Sway bars

Better shocks

Maybe an lcg and a tekin motor

2s lipo which none of the traxxas cars even come with infact only the xo1 does

Center diff
    But really the only things you should start with are the tires, center diff and sway bars.

2s lipo if possible

If you get the ultimate you get the better shock sway bars and I think a center diff so you only need tires
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I just realised there is a Slash 4x4 thread & that I posted this in the section for the 2wd Slash, oops.
    Yeah I see the Ultimate has a few extra hop up added to it, atleast that would be a little better I guess. The reason I ask is that I have friends that are looking to get an rc car for their 13yr old son & he would probably want to race it if he could, just in a stock or beginner class for a start but may want to step it up a little when he gets better & if he does ok.
    How are the electronics in them, do they last or is there any problems that are normally encounted, motor included, or would they need to be upgraded to a better esc & motor after a short time.

yep the velineon is pretty good. works fine

only real problem is its a little underpowereed for this vehicule.
    dont use any higher gearing than stock 13/54, you wiill been perfectly fine with 11/54 for pure comfort.
    i only run 2s on mine. but the system is very reliable

RC Racer
    Thats ok, as long as its a decent system & reliable is the main thing. I have the Traxxax model book that has some info on the motor & the battery & gearing & it says it can have a 3s Lipo, 11.1v, 5000+mAH with 13/54 gearing for around 45+mph, thats probably what they would be looking at getting, it says the gearing could go up to 19/54 with the same battery for 60+mph but I don't think they would need that sort of speed.

That would get way to hot 19/54

On 3s gear it as low as possible

RC Racer
    Oh ok, makes you wonder why they would put that in the book if it would cause heat problems, maybe to run it with the 19/54 gearing it would have to have some sort of extra cooling aid fitted. Probably not worth the risk though.

Well that gearing is for quick street speed runs and yeah

RC Qualifier
    Although..., around here the stock Slash (2WD) class is going strong. So if you start with one of those, you can always still race that class when you buy something else for the Pro 2WD or Pro 4WD classes.

RC Racer
    I think I will tell them to go in a different direction with a different sct, for the money there is better options out there & although the slash is a decent truck there is 1 with an alloy chassis that looks much stronger & handles better for a similar price. The young kid its for races motorcross & is pretty good at picking things up so I doubt that it will take him very long to get the hang of driving an rc car & he will want to race so better off getting something he can advance with.
    I only just read about some different sct's over the last couple of days as I didn't know anything about them or what other brands of them were around, I think going with 1 of the others will be the best in the long run, Think I will do the same. thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
    I think I will tell them to go in a different direction with a different sct, for the money there is better options out there & although the slash is a decent truck there is 1 with an alloy chassis that looks much stronger & handles better for a similar price. The young kid its for races motorcross & is pretty good at picking things up so I doubt that it will take him very long to get the hang of driving an rc car & he will want to race so better off getting something he can advance with.
    I only just read about some different sct's over the last couple of days as I didn't know anything about them or what other brands of them were around, I think going with 1 of the others will be the best in the long run, Think I will do the same. thanks for the advice.

The traxxas slash 4x4 is one of the best sct on the market. There is only 1 better one but it's twice the price.
    Dont underestimate this truck.
    The best 4x4 on the market, with so many things to do with it.

It's also really durable

They just announced the new release of the lcg slash platinum edition with threaded shocks. Your missing out..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    They just announced the new release of the lcg slash platinum edition with threaded shocks. Your missing out..
    It is the new rally chassis. You could buy one and have it now!!! Threaded traxxas shocks would be sweet!!!