RC Qualifier

Drive System Upgrade for Rock & Me (Mod/Pictures)

Dear Rock (and anyone else interested),

AeroMarine is rite up the road from me. I stop by there often on my way home from work. Anyway, the head guy told me he gets a lot of calls about guyz having problems with their stock Spartan drive couplers not holding their flex cables. He gave me one of the AreoMarine couplers to have, and use on my boat.

Anyway, when I took it home, and looked at it; I thought it was kind of big. I slipped an extra flex cable I had in it, and it was definitely a tighter fit on the flex cable. The problem was, when I tried installing it on my boat it wouldn't fit. It was too long. What I did was shorten it by about 5/8's of an inch. I did this by milling the part that secures to the motor, on the motor end. Then, I milled the part that screws on the the main part at the brass tube/ESC end. I finished by putting the coupler together, and milled the brass insert core closer to the stainless steel body.

After my modification, the AreoMarine coupler fit nicely in my boat. The only things I didn't care for was the coupler diameter was bigger than my motor feed threw hole. This made the coupler harder to install, and would make my boat harder to maintenance.

Here's some pictures:

Before

After

The problem with the stock drive coupler is; that it has to be tightened all the way to the end of it's travel to get any kind of a grip.

So, what's a ReglarDude do? He mills the the thread side of the securing nut of the stock drive coupler...that's what he does.

With this simple modification, you can save 10 bucks, and have plenty of thread space to get a secure grip on your flex cable. With that said, I can tell you that I tried mine, and it seems to be very working well. I hope this helps you Rock, and I hope you other guyz like my idea.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 10-30-2012 at 08:57 AM.

RC Champion
    Nice! You're in my area if Aeromarine is right up the road. I love my coupler.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    Nice mod, well done.

For those who don't have access to the tools/equipment needed to mill down a coupler, the Aeromarine couplers do fit the Spartan without modification. They are a tight fit, but they they do fit, and work very well. They are an excellent coupler.

At most, you may need to slide the stuffing tube back a bit to make a little extra room.

hog

ReglarDude
    Next time you stop by Aeromarine, If it's not an imposition, ask if they have any plans to offer an insert for .078 wire drives.

RC Qualifier
    Traxx, you said you lived in the Wilmington De. area, and I live between Salisbury and Ocean City, Maryland. And AeroMarine is in Seaford along side of Rt. 13. Anytime you want to get together let me know.

I don't know Hog, I just couldn't get that darn AreoMarine coupler to fit right in stock form. It is a really nice coupler though. I will ask Mr. R when I see him next, and give you the info in a post. With the storm Sandy that came threw, it will be some time early next week.

P.S. If a person is carefull, they can use a belt sander when moding there couplers. I've done things like that before...it ain't hard.

RC Champion
    Yeah... I don't get down that way too often though. I used to be down in Lewes every weekend but we are selling the house down there. The 1:1 boat outgrew the bay down there. It got to the point where it only took 2 minutes to get from one side to the other so we had to come up to the Chesapeake. My grandparents are down in Pot-Nets though... so we get down there a few times a year. I've never been to Aeromarines store because we usually take route 1 and it's a good 45 minutes out of the way. How far are you from the Lewes area? Where do you usually run the boat?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    Nice mod, though I'll keep mine the way it's built, maybe I'll take some orders from aero marine through you and sent it here in Canada?
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    Edge, I put the photos of by bumpers in the E-Maxx sub-forum yesterday.

Traxx, Lewes is about 30ish minutes from my house. If you wanted, we could go there, and have ribs at the new Bethany Blues. I have a really nice pond close to my house that I like to take my boat to. It's about the size of a football field. It has very clean water, and is very private. I really like it there.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot I am definitely going to try out that mod!!

Just one question the only thing you did was change the coupler correct? Are you using the stock flex drive?
    Last edited by Rocky; 11-02-2012 at 07:31 PM.