jonesdallas

New Summit delevered to my door for $564 :) Future Shop*

So I just ordered a new truck, should be here tomorrow. Decided to go for a Summit. I like the look and general all roundness of the truck.

Future shop has them on sale for $499 with free delivery, plus giving me a free ez peak charger!

I tried to place the same order with my LHS (HobbyHobby) and it was going to be $828, I ended up paying $564. thats like 32% off my LHS. Feel kinda bad for LHS`s. But I do love a deal n had been looking at this model for a while.

So... Happy Bday to me

I want to know what the best and first uprades should be from Summit owners. or any info they think may be pertinant.

Regards

RC Champion
    What a deal!

By Future Shop, do you mean the Canadian version of Best Buy that sells home electronics?
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    What a deal!

By Future Shop, do you mean the Canadian version of Best Buy that sells home electronics?
    They are the same company.we have both.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    No upgrades are needed because it is a good truck stock, but I got the TBone Racing Skids for mine because it help protect the chassis and a arms. All up to what you want to do with your summit though!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Best Buy in the states (as far as I know) does not sell toys, aside from video games and the electronic devices. But my local automotive supply store AND my local Kawasaki motorcycle dealership has just started to advertise its selling of a full line of rc vehicles with the Traxxas brand in the forefront. So I can buy a wiperblades, headlamps and a summit all in the same place.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Your local hobby shop was probably selling you the Lipo version not worth teh extra money you can get better lipo's for cheeper. Where Future shop is only selling the nimh version.. Still a smoking deal i just got one locally for 599 plus another $200 for a charger that could charge 2 batteries at the same time

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Great deal. Im still struggling with self control on this one. I want to buy one from Futureshop just because they are such a good deal. But I certainly dont need a 2nd one.

The summit needs nothing to be great. Its one of the very few vehicles on the market that, when used the way its intended, works excellent with nearly no weak points. Make sure you break the motor in properly and keep it clean. Make sure the servos are aligned properly and not "buzzing" when your not steering. Come to a complete stop before shifting the diffs or transmission. Other than those tips, your good to go.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Welcome to the fourms, and congrats on getting a Summit!
    I want to know what the best and first uprades should be from Summit owners. or any info they think may be pertinant.
    First, do what this says.
    The summit needs nothing to be great. Its one of the very few vehicles on the market that, when used the way its intended, works excellent with nearly no weak points. Make sure you break the motor in properly and keep it clean. Make sure the servos are aligned properly and not "buzzing" when your not steering. Come to a complete stop before shifting the diffs or transmission. Other than those tips, your good to go.
    After, IMO, the best "upgrades" you can do would be the RPM front and rear bumper mounts, the LED light bar, double orange springs, and the alumminum slipper clutch upgrade. None of those things are really needed, those just help with looks mostly. Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    The first thing you should do when your Summit gets home, is read the manual for the charger, and properly start charging the batteries. Then start tinkering once the batteries are charging. I would start tightening up the springs. You'll need the wrench to grab the shock body while you turn the threaded rings to tighten the suspension. If you don't hold the shock body, oil will leak out.

Centering the servos is fun. Take the screws out of the steering servos and pull the arms/horns off the servo splines, turn the truck and radio on, center the trim on the remote for the steering, place the arms/horns back on the servos where it's relaxed with the wheels pointing straight.

If you're crawling the middle pushrod mounting hole on the lower control arms for the ride height setting is good, but if your bashing, you might lower it to the outside mounting hole. Adjust your slipper clutch and you should be good to go.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

jonesdallas
    Yes, they are different divisions of the same corporation. We have both stores here in Canada..
    What a deal! and ya I thought it was a good deal too

No, I was quoted for the NIMH. I specifically went NIMH cause of price then I could pick my own Lipos
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Your local hobby shop was probably selling you the Lipo version not worth teh extra money you can get better lipo's for cheeper. Where Future shop is only selling the nimh version.. Still a smoking deal i just got one locally for 599 plus another $200 for a charger that could charge 2 batteries at the same time
    Thanks, I wasnt even scheduled to save enough to buy it till summer. But I very much doubt we will see this price EVER agian.

For 3 Reasons:

1. 5607 is old now that 5607l is out, so they`re clearing out stock.
    2. After Christmas holidays who the heck has $600-$700 for a toy? Sale to drum up sales. again, non-lipo.
    3. Clearing out surplus from their Christmas overstock.

I`m even willing to go as far as say I doubt next years boxing sales will even be as good as this. Dont miss the chance!

Thanks for the the tips!
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Great deal. Im still struggling with self control on this one. I want to buy one from Futureshop just because they are such a good deal. But I certainly dont need a 2nd one.

Thanks for the info, I will be crawling/trail riding with it. I already have a MGT for bashing, so I wont be bashing with the summit.
    Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    The first thing you should do when your Summit gets home, is read the manual for the charger, and properly start charging the batteries. Then start tinkering once the batteries are charging. I would start tightening up the springs. You'll need the wrench to grab the shock body while you turn the threaded rings to tighten the suspension. If you don't hold the shock body, oil will leak out.

Centering the servos is fun. Take the screws out of the steering servos and pull the arms/horns off the servo splines, turn the truck and radio on, center the trim on the remote for the steering, place the arms/horns back on the servos where it's relaxed with the wheels pointing straight.

If you're crawling the middle pushrod mounting hole on the lower control arms for the ride height setting is good, but if your bashing, you might lower it to the outside mounting hole. Adjust your slipper clutch and you should be good to go.

jonesdallas
    Yes, they are different divisions of the same corporation. We have both stores here in Canada..
    What a deal! and ya I thought it was a good deal too

No, I was quoted for the NIMH. I specifically went NIMH cause of price then I could pick my own Lipos
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Thanks, I wasnt even scheduled to save enough to buy it till summer. But I very much doubt we will see this price EVER agian.

For 3 Reasons:

1. 5607 is old now that 5607l is out, so they`re clearing out stock.
    2. After Christmas holidays who the heck has $600-$700 for a toy? Sale to drum up sales. again, non-lipo.
    3. Clearing out surplus from their Christmas overstock.

I`m even willing to go as far as say I doubt next years boxing sales will even be as good as this. Dont miss the chance!

Thanks for the the tips!
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post

Thanks for the info, I will be crawling/trail riding with it. I already have a MGT for bashing, so I wont be bashing with the summit.

jonesdallas
    I received a new Mamba Monster ESC in the mail today. Had one from a 1/8 truggy that was dead and I sent it back. They just sent me a new one

I already thinking when the stock motor dies I will replace it with either a Mamba 2200kv or a DeWalt, not sure if I`ll want the brushless power or mad DeWalt torque. Either way will be lipo and the Mamba Monster ESC. Guess time will tell through killing the first motor.

Would I be able to use the Mamba Monster ESC with the 775 motor? and would there be a point? would it provide more control over the stock motor too?

RC Champion
    Man and I thought my local store was a crook

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The summit is best suited to a smoother motor like the dewalt brushed setup. In which case the stock ESC is just fine. If you were to go brushless and wanted to maintain any low speed crawling ability youd need a sensored setup. The 2200kv will be really fast and have tons of power but its not known to be a good slow crawling setup.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I just don't like brushes. They wear out. Brushless motors don't really wear out.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Champion
    I just don't like brushes. They wear out. Brushless motors don't really wear out.
    If they don't wear out, why does castle sell a brushless motor rebuild kit?
    Maybe they don't sell many of those kits?
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    If they don't wear out, why does castle sell a brushless motor rebuild kit?
    Maybe they don't sell many of those kits?
    I agree, they probably don't sell many of them.

I'm new to cars, but I fly nothing but brushless motors on my planes. I have never even come close to wearing one out. They just keep going and going and going, with virtually no maintenance.

jonesdallas
    Well, I can already tell I'm going to Looooove being a Summit owner. It rocks, I have another truck (MGT) for bashing and jumping. But this thing is in a league of its own.

First brushed motor for me, I can definitely tell the difference though. Much more control, and adjustable torque. Like being able to roll on the throttle and slowly accelerate while maintaining power and adding more when needed WITHOUT the motor spinning out of control with power.

Its nice to really feel like you have control over your truck Brushed mototrs have their place just as brushless do.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesdallas View Post
    Its nice to really feel like you have control over your truck Brushed mototrs have their place just as brushless do.
    As if I needed another reason to buy one. Man, I gotta start saving faster! Maybe I can sell my kid's mountain bike...

jonesdallas
    As if I needed another reason to buy one. Man, I gotta start saving faster! Maybe I can sell my kid's mountain bike...
    Check your lotto numbers today? LoL