RC Enthusiast

Lipo too puffed?

Is a lipo that is puffed 3mm on each side dangerous to use?

3mm or 1/8" on each side? 6mm or 1/4" total? Any puffed LiPo is potentially hazardous but that is not just a little soft - that's PUFFED.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Well is there anyway to fix it because I dont feel like spending another 100 on a new one.

lipos cannot be repaired only replaced
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphi123 View Post
    Well is there anyway to fix it because I dont feel like spending another 100 on a new one.
    LiPo cells are sealed foil pouches. There is no way to repair them.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    i was charging my 2s lipo and it got slightly puffed(maybe a mm) but it was warm. i let it cool down then tested it in my slash 4x4 and the low voltage shutdown was activated. it should have been fully charged. should i just get rid of the battery?
    Philippians 4:13

RC Qualifier
    would it be safe to charge it,i would carefully moniter it.
    Philippians 4:13

RC Champion
    Look at, why did the lipo puff?
    What specs was it, How was the lipo treated and handled?, What system was it used with?, What gearing?, What terrain?. any more info?, answering these, it might of been a simple case of the wrong size battery for your set up. Which would need the correct battery so it doesn't happen again.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Racer
    I know their expensive... But lets not forget their also dangerous! Be very careful with a puffed lipo, as soon as i notice a puffed lipo i dispose of it... Something isnt right with it. If its just slightly puffed it may have just gotten too warm, and cooling it will return it to normal, BUT IT DOES NOT mean its ok... Id watch it like a hawk while charging it. If its puffed like the OP says, time to toss it....

RC poster
    How did you dispose of it?

A puffed LiPo is just BAD mojo. Do not run it. Do not charge it. Here is how to dispose of it.

1. Discharge battery pack to 2.8v per cell or less
    2. Fill a bucket with enough water to submerge the battery completely
    3. Add salt to the water until no more salt will dissolve; the water is now saturated with salt
    4. Place the battery in the bucket and leave submerged in salt water solution for at least 24 hours
    5. Remove the battery pack from the salt water and test the voltage with a voltmeter
    6. If the voltage does not read 0.0 volts, re-submerge and re-test the battery until the voltage reads 0.0 volts
    7. Once the battery has been discharged to 0.0 volts it is safe to dispose or to send in the mail

If it is a Traxxas LiPo you can send it to us and we will replace it for half the list price.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    Ive never had any luck with the salt water method... Way longer then 24 hrs if it does work... Just my 2 cents