RC Qualifier

should i shim my mini revo diffs??

both the mini revo vxl's i have had been projects to build up and make as new for two of my nephews, i was wondering what shimming the diffs really does and if anyone knows how to shim the diffs and what size washers it calls for. i have 8 washers i got from work that look like they would work. anyone have the demensions for them?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Shimming the diff will save you from stripping the differential ring and pinion. What you do is put the shims between then diff, and the bearing on the bulkhead closing the gap in the diff ring and the pinion. Part number is associated 21141.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 11-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here you go compliments of Jimmie http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead

RC Qualifier
    i am going to post a pic here soon of the shims i got from work just wanna see if you can tell me if you think they will work[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's seems to be too thick, and the inner diameter too small.

RC Qualifier
    well i got these at work just thought i could use them but i wasnt sure, i am giving these trucks to a 5yr old and a 7yr old so i kinda wanna hook them up so hopefully they dont have any problems. is there a easy way to get to the diffs without tearing all the a-arms off each side and still opening up the diff case?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    so the shims have to fit all the way up against the diff gear or just up to where the bearing goes on?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yup all the way up, and yes you have to open the bulkheads.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-clarification

RC Qualifier
    sweet, thats the pic i needed to see and jimmie said to use 4 shims per diff is that right?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There is not an exact number, mine is good with just two shims, if you put too much the diff won't be smooth and it will suffer from premature wear.

RC Qualifier
    ok thanks rc-fan looks like i will have a project this weekend and i just traded my pede 2wd for a vxl-3m esc and new dirt hawg tires and a servo and shocks for this other one and i just bought the 380 brushless motor off ebay and i can dye the other truck when i have it apart since it looks so much cooler do you know anyone that has pics of anyother color than black when they dyed their chassis?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Qualifier
    yea, i see now, i think my shims are too small in the center if i remember correct. thanks 50, i will check my local hobby shop. and i gotta remember not to tighten the back screws too much so they dont break through the diff wall again. man that made me mad i put it all back together and wouldnt move at all
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Mine is dark blue but looks black grey isn't the best starting point to dye for lighter colors

RC Champion
    i just shimmed my diffs for the first time yesterday. they spin easily and there is just barely any play between the ring and pinion but there is a slight click as the teeth mesh. is this bad? my ring and pinion are in great condition too. i have 1 shim on each diff but without it there is quite a bit of play.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that should be good . so the ring and pinion's are used not new right?

RC Champion
    They are about a year and a half old.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So they wont need a breaking/reshim.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    i just shimmed my diffs for the first time yesterday. they spin easily and there is just barely any play between the ring and pinion but there is a slight click as the teeth mesh. is this bad? my ring and pinion are in great condition too. i have 1 shim on each diff but without it there is quite a bit of play.
    They should feel a little rough once you put everything back together. Under load the ring and pinion will push away from each other slightly, that's why you want it a bit tight from the beginning.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.