RC Racer

Destroyed spur gear bearing.

My summit keeps tearing up the bearing that rests inside the spur gear. I replaced it with a new one and modified a tmaxx brake disc for the slipper clutch, but after a short drive it just trashed it again. I tighten it down and then loosen it by 1/4 turn. Any idea what could cause this?

RC Qualifier
    Have you checked the slipper shaft to see if its still straight? Sounds to me like something may be binding someplace putting extra stress on the slipper. Other than that do not have a clue and you have yours set like mine as well. Had no problems out of mine so no real help other than what was suggested. Someone with more knowledge will give a better reply for sure.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Racer
    I was wonder if it could be that input shaft. Is it possible, with my noob experience I over tightened it enough to bend it slightly?

RC Champion
    Is the spur gear turning straight? If the three screw are not screwed in equal distance the spur gear will spin off center and may affect the bearing. But as mentioned prior I think the shaft may be bent.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Looks like it is setting straight to me. I tighten each screw the same about.

RC Enthusiast
    It's happened to me too 3 times already.
    I think it's just the stock bearing that have a poor quality.

RC Champion
    no issues here.

make sure the gear is spinning and not wabbling. Its possible the slipper hub is damaged or molded wrong causing stress on the bearing when it spins. If the shaft is straight (and I dont see how that would be an issue at all) I would get a new hub for the slipper and see if that changes its tune

"Red"

RC Qualifier
    Is your summit new?

Are you running a stock motor or brushless?

I'm honestly leaning towards faulty bearings myself as UrielZ suggested. (If you are running a stock Titan 775)

Traxxas bearings are far from the highest quality bearing available. I mean no disrespect towards traxxas, I understand that if they were to put the highest quality bearings possible in their RCs that would increase the cost significantly. Do you need ceramic? Up for debate, bearings have what they call an ABEC rating. The higher the rating, the more accurate the bearing's components are. You can get a very precision bearing that's still made out of all steel. I'm guessing that Traxxas' bearing races are simply turned (speculation) where as higher end bearings have ground races, hence the added cost. The only part that spins faster than the transmission input shaft is the motor shaft so maybe looking at upgrading bearings isn't a bad idea. However, I am personally running all stock bearings without issue.

That being said you might also want to split the transmission cases to further inspect the shaft. It may have gotten tweaked somehow further inside the tranny and you can't see it from the outside.

I agree that looking at the slipper hub also isn't a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    Last edited by happymachinist; 10-29-2012 at 09:45 AM.

RC Racer
    My summit is fairly new about a month old. My lhs didn't have a replacement input shaft so I put in a steel bearing part number #4611 it ran for a bit but now its constantly slipping. Like it won't let me tighten the bolt down enough. Any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Maybe your pads are worn? I have yet to wear my slipper out but have tightened it up quite a bit and fear I'm about out of adjustment. I have a heavy duty rebuild kit on hand when that time comes. TRX #5352R

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect