RC Enthusiast

Fuel coming out of the exhaust

Is there anything wrong with that??

When I run my t maxx I notice fuel coming out of the exhaust nozzle. Enough for it to somewhat puddle at the end. Also when my truck turns over, I can see where the fuel has sprayed onto the sidewalk. I'm only talking a little bit. No gushing or anything.

I've followed all the instructions about tuning so I think I'm doing that pretty right.

What do you think??

Fuel coming out out of the exhuast can be normal if it's too rich, so it sounds like your running too rich... Try leaning out the hsn a little bit and that should help... Good luck!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    I think if it runs good and you have power, keep it just like that. Running your engine a tad rich is good. It will make it last a lot longer ecause of the extra lubrication.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

I think if it runs good and you have power, keep it just like that. Running your engine a tad rich is good. It will make it last a lot longer ecause of the extra lubrication.
    True, but normally when there is fuel coming out of the exhaust, that normally means it's running WAY rich... But your right upbasher. Sometimes it can be normal.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    It's normal, I was running mine perfect and still got fuel out of exhaust. Your fine
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    It's normal, I was running mine perfect and still got fuel out of exhaust. Your fine
    Can't be 100% sure... If it's running too cool, under 210 degrees, it would be running rich... Running too rich can and will cause problems down the road.... If too rich the engine has not fully expanded, this increases the friction between the piston and sleeve which increases the amount of force placed on the internals... Not good.
    Also the added friction will create premature wear of the piston and sleeve, bringing your engine to a short life....

Best thing... check the temps, should be between 210-270, no more, no less... The rest is tuning by smoke trails combined with performance...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Can't be 100% sure... If it's running too cool, under 210 degrees, it would be running rich... Running too rich can and will cause problems down the road.... If too rich the engine has not fully expanded, this increases the friction between the piston and sleeve which increases the amount of force placed on the internals... Not good.
    Also the added friction will create premature wear of the piston and sleeve, bringing your engine to a short life....

Best thing... check the temps, should be between 210-270, no more, no less... The rest is tuning by smoke trails combined with performance...
    true, better than running lean though
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    true, better than running lean though
    Overly rich mixtures can do just as much harm as lean mixtures... I'ts OK to be on the richer side of your tune, but too rich will cause problems just as easily as too lean..
    Robin Williams

RC Qualifier
    You know the Blue Smoke thing is Kinda Confusing as I was tuning mine after Break in and I was getting alot of Blue Smoke but it started to Cut out so I richened 1/4 turn and it seemed to be ok but man I get a Ton of Blue Smoke, so much the Area I am running gets a Blue Smoke haze hanging around.
    DO not have a On-Board Temp or one of those Temp Guns but the Drop test gives me about 2-3 Seconds Sizzle so I believe that is in the safe range as far as temp is concerned.
    I noticed I get alot of Fuel Spewwing when I first Fire up but it seems after a couple Runs and 1/2 below throttle to warm up engine drivetrain (which comes to be about 30-45 seconds of running) it seems to stop completely or get to where it is hardly noticeable.
    But I have noticed last 2 days when I first start up it seems to spew fuel both times I thought what the heck happened to my Settings I had worked so hard on getting perfect but since I need to tune when it is at operating temp I warm it up and it seems to go away and my setting are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by spudler_t View Post
    You know the Blue Smoke thing is Kinda Confusing as I was tuning mine after Break in and I was getting alot of Blue Smoke but it started to Cut out so I richened 1/4 turn and it seemed to be ok but man I get a Ton of Blue Smoke, so much the Area I am running gets a Blue Smoke haze hanging around.
    DO not have a On-Board Temp or one of those Temp Guns but the Drop test gives me about 2-3 Seconds Sizzle so I believe that is in the safe range as far as temp is concerned.
    Did you tune both the HSN & LSN?

I have seen engines with the HSN too rich & LSN too lean have lots of smoke but still be over 300F from being too lean on the LSN, if it's cutting out that is a classic sign of being lean & hot.

Spend the $25 & get the IR temp gauge, it cheap insurance as the spit test is not really good way to judge.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Temperature and humidity levels can effect the amount of leftover oils that spew from the stinger.
    I use the 'spit' test, have never used a temperature gauge but the test works very well.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    More fuel also means more heat! Not sure If it. Apples to gas rcs (I'm an electric guy) but in a 1:1 vehicle typically you don't want more fuel because than your engine runs hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    More fuel also means more heat! Not sure If it. Apples to gas rcs (I'm an electric guy) but in a 1:1 vehicle typically you don't want more fuel because than your engine runs hot!
    Incorrect,,, with 2 stroke engines more fuel and less air would make it run cooler, more air and less fuel will make it run more hot due to less lubrication which is in the fuel.....

+1 to what Wildman says
    Robin Williams

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Incorrect,,, with 2 stroke engines more fuel and less air would make it run cooler, more air and less fuel will make it run more hot due to less lubrication which is in the fuel.....

+1 to what Wildman says
    +10, that's correct.
    Matthew 7:7