RC poster

Buy New or Used?

Hi I have sold all my RCs this summer and want to get the one good one this time. Im looking at the stampede 4x4 and i been looking at LHS and on craigslist. I was wondering is it worth buying new or used what are the pros and cons of each? Anything with warrenty?

RC Racer
    if you buy used you can get a good one with up grades for probably $300 or you could get a roller it depends what you want to do with it or a rtr
    i would get a roller and upgrade it first with a better motor esc servo and driveshafts right off the bat
    what do you want to do with it
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

RC Qualifier
    i would get a used one.
    what's up guys

The only warranty is with the esc so used might be a good idea if you buy from someone reputable.

Do you have any electronics left over? If so, buy a roller and outfit it with your parts.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    no i have nothing left i want to get the TQi controller and i looked at research unless i can get roller and electronics cheap it might not be any cheaper used what i want to do is just bash around mainly snow for the beginning now and then just some fun speed stuff but like dirt snow maybe some mud a few small kicker jumps.

I only buy new. I like being able to know the truck's history from day one. I know buying used is alot cheaper, but I'm a perfectionist. I hate my trucks being dirty, scratched, or any damaged in anyway. That's what really sucks about buying used. They usually come beat up and worn out. And besides, it's a great feeling opening a brand new truck out of the box. Can't beat that new truck smell. Just my .02 cents.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    ya i agree i bought a stampede xl5 new super fun to open and i bought a bandit used and the esc screw holes were snapped off it ran good when it worked but you never know what was wrong with it before i agree probably will be new just need to find a cheaper place to get it $440 is alot

Ya, that's the trick to buying new, getting one cheap enough. Another great option is to buy a NEW roller, because you can most of the time get rollers really cheap!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    414 on tower hobbies

That looks like a good price. That's one truck I've wanted for a long time.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    ya i think i will do it does it seem like a dependable shop to buy from im always a little careful on buying from unknown websites

RC Qualifier
    I think you're good. I usually don't get too worried if the site has a phone # as well. Looks like shipping is 20 bucks. Might see what your final price would be if you got it from tower hobbies. They ship it free. And if you join their super saver club you get more money off. There are cheaper places but I really like dealing with them. No lhs near me. If I am in a town that has one I support them whenever possible.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Qualifier
    New is fun, but at the right price used is more fun. You never know what your really getting till you start ripping it apart. Then when you get get it built back, and maybe replace parts that need it its really nice to see the finished product.

Each to their own. I'm a glutton for punishment :-)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mntraxxasracing View Post
    Just bought that truck. Thanks for the link! Just kidding! Pretty good price. I paid $50 more for mine. Good luck

RC Enthusiast
    Sign up for TowerHobbies club and use a $50 off coupon code with free shipping. That was the best price I could find new. You could do well buying used especially when they've been upgraded. You just have to go into it knowing you'll save money but might have to do a complete overhaul (which is kinda fun) and replace a few parts. Of course I would run it before I bought it. If it runs OK then the worst case would be that you'd have some fairly cheap parts to replace.

If i had to do it again i would buy a new roller and buy all the hop ups that i have got now and saved a lot of cash...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    If i had to do it again i would buy a new roller and buy all the hop ups that i have got now and saved a lot of cash...peace
    Im going to agree with spennie. Buy used is always a gamble and buying new "FOR ME" is a waste because I never keep motor and ESC stock. Let alone all the other upgrades. So buying a new Roller is my vote.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DogMilk View Post
    Im going to agree with spennie. Buy used is always a gamble and buying new "FOR ME" is a waste because I never keep motor and ESC stock. Let alone all the other upgrades. So buying a new Roller is my vote.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    **** yes dude thats the way to roll....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    If I buy used, I always try to get it at a price were if its a lemon and needs some $$ thrown at it, I still come out ahead.
    Plus depends on the what the resale is..Seems like the Stampede 4x4 go lower used % wise. So its normally a good savings.
    The upside to buying new is you can sell off some of the parts you plan to upgrade. ( tires,battery, motor, ect) and use that money.
    I like new car smell! Plus I get $50 off with tower and free shipping.
    MT Slash
    Stampede
    Stampede 4x4
    1/16 Erevo

RC poster
    for the tower hobbies sign up is it the club sign up for $9.99?

RC Champion
    for the tower hobbies sign up is it the club sign up for $9.99?
    Yep
    http://www.towerhobbies.com/ssc.html
    MT Slash
    Stampede
    Stampede 4x4
    1/16 Erevo

RC poster
    turns out the stampede 4x4 on tower hobbies doenst have the tqi

RC Qualifier
    Did you just read the website or did you call and ask them about it? Might help they try to be very competitive .
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Qualifier
    You can get new rollers on eBay. That way you can put whatever tires and motor combo you want and it will all be new

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    You don't need to sign up for towers membership to get $50 off. They got promotion codes. Spend $400 and save $50

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC poster
    idk what im doing yet my budget might be to small to get a p4de its around 225 or 300

RC Qualifier
    I think you should just buy a erevo brushless and get it over with. wait until after christmas when they drop the prices back down to normal, about two weeks ago, the erevo went from 730 to 859, and emaxx went from 630 to 730. bull****
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Champion
    idk what im doing yet my budget might be to small to get a p4de its around 225 or 300
    Bought my last two used p4de for under $250.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    MT Slash
    Stampede
    Stampede 4x4
    1/16 Erevo