RC Racer

breaking in a Titan 12T

Just bought a new Titan 12T. I aske the dude at the LHS how to break it in and he said to run a few packs threw it being gentle. I cant do gentle. So I asked him about the water immersion thing(saw it on Y tube) . He said to hook up three C cell batteries , get the moter spinning and put it in the distilled water.

Well my connections on the "battery pack" were not all that good. So I ended up hooking it up to the battery of my truck, using the throttle trim. It is soaking now.

He said to run it till the water turned black. Been going for 20 + minutes now and no black water.

Help

RC Racer
    no black water after an hour. I unhooked it and will spray it and hope for the best.

RC Champion
    Make sure to put a drop or two of oil on it after the water.
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    when im braking in I change my water during the process. I dont think the water will completely turn black,u should notice the water getting dirty. unless its used and abused. I run for like 30 minutes. everyone is different tho. an hour shouldnt of hurt anything if it is longer then normal, unless the water started boiling.
    I race for fun, and boy is it fun to win

RC Champion
    my lazy way to do it is pretty similar to how traxxas describes it. gear it low and run a few packs through it gently.

not the best, does not yield the best dyno results either, but the motors seem to last the longest that way.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Racer
    Well I ran it for an hour. The water got a bit cloudy. I was able to get to the track this AM and was really happy with how the motor ran.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTracer121 View Post
    my lazy way to do it is pretty similar to how traxxas describes it. gear it low and run a few packs through it gently.

not the best, does not yield the best dyno results either, but the motors seem to last the longest that way.
    That's what I did. That was my first and only Titan. Its had a year of mud bogging in my slash and never took care of it. It's been in storage for awile but still works.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    darndest thing is i cant figure out why, done way too much work on these motors getting every bit of power out of the things and trying to keep them that way as long as possible but the most reliable motors seem to be the ones i dont put any effort into.

go figure.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector