RC Champion

Carbon fiber bodies?

Has anyone made a carbon fiber body? It seems like the PERFECT thing to make out of carbon fiber. I was considering doing it a little while ago but never did. I might do it now since I have to build a hatch for my boat so I'll already have carbon fiber and vacuum bagging supplies.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    Do it!!! Then show us

RC Champion
    There is one for the Baja. But its not very practical. Carbon fiber almost always breaks when hit hard and the price vs. lexan is very high. And while this may sound strange there is also a weight issue. Carbon fiber is much heavier than lexan.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Competitor
    I was wondering about the weight...carbon fiber is lighter and stronger than say, solid plastics and certain metals typically are, but bodies are more flimsy plastic...the flex helps absorb and dissipate any impact damage. The More rigid the body the harder the impact parts that are not used to it, which can make things break.
    Now, by all means, do not let me or anyone else to stunt your creativity. These are known flaws. Any time a designer takes flaws into consideration, when attempting a new design, they may stumble across something unique.
    I'm crazy, no really I am.

RC Champion
    Yeah... I thought about all of that. I still think it would be pretty sick. CF is actually INCREDIBLY strong if you use it right. With proper reinforcements and resin content, I'm sure that it could hold up at least as well as a lexan body. It would weight slightly more though. I guess no one has done it? I'd love to be the first

There was a guy selling C/F bodies on ebay for a while. I just did a quick search there and came up empty so it kind of looks like he gave it up.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

It really depends on application. I can see having a scaler body made of CF. I can't see using CF for a go-fast RC, it would be a lot heavier than a lexan body(CG would be a lot higher), and, as meantioned above, it would like get cracked or broken.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    CF is actually INCREDIBLY strong if you use it right. With proper reinforcements and resin content, I'm sure that it could hold up at least as well as a lexan body.
    In some ways carbon fiber is incredibly strong. But it does not respond well to being hit. Just like hardened metal its strength comes at a price. You can try to make one but its a one shot deal. The first good crash is very likely to crack or damage it. But a lexan body can take tons of impact abuse. Because of this it became the industry standard.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    In some ways carbon fiber is incredibly strong. But it does not respond well to being hit. Just like hardened metal its strength comes at a price. You can try to make one but its a one shot deal. The first good crash is very likely to crack or damage it. But a lexan body can take tons of impact abuse. Because of this it became the industry standard.
    I think it became the industry standard because it's cheaper and MUCH easier to produce... especially in large volumes. It's the same reason they don't sell a Rustler with an aluminum trans from the factory, include a lipo instead of a nimh, or sell all trucks with big bores. They are all optional upgrades, should the owner want to buy it. The same goes for a CF body. The thing about a CF body is that they are simply unavailable, even if someone did want to buy it. Maybe I'm wrong about the strength of a CF body. Maybe it really would shatter on impact. There's only one way to find out.

RC Competitor
    Lets go for a large leap here and say that not only is it stronger and more rigid than the stock body but lighter...ok, so what? your forgetting a very important law in physics...All energy is transferred, energy is never created or produced. Lets say that body survives a high speed impact. where will all of that energy go? Its likely to brake the next weaker component, if not multiple components.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by madjoker911 View Post
    Lets go for a large leap here and say that not only is it stronger and more rigid than the stock body but lighter...ok, so what? your forgetting a very important law in physics...All energy is transferred, energy is never created or produced. Lets say that body survives a high speed impact. where will all of that energy go? Its likely to brake the next weaker component, if not multiple components.

Very good point.

I think it became the industry standard because it's cheaper and MUCH easier to produce... especially in large volumes. It's the same reason they don't sell a Rustler with an aluminum trans from the factory, include a lipo instead of a nimh, or sell all trucks with big bores. They are all optional upgrades, should the owner want to buy it. The same goes for a CF body. The thing about a CF body is that they are simply unavailable, even if someone did want to buy it. Maybe I'm wrong about the strength of a CF body. Maybe it really would shatter on impact. There's only one way to find out.
    Back in the day RC's came with hard plastic body's. People soon found out that a few crashes would destroy them and now they are only on slow or collectible RC's. Carbon fiber has even less give and once broken may as well be thrown out because a second crash will be even worse. Carbon fiber is strong only in applications where it does not have to move/handle impacts. It is not just all around strong. You can try making one but you have been warned about what will happen.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

I think it became the industry standard because it's cheaper and MUCH easier to produce... especially in large volumes. It's the same reason they don't sell a Rustler with an aluminum trans from the factory or sell all trucks with big bores. They are all optional upgrades, should the owner want to buy it. The same goes for a CF body. The thing about a CF body is that they are simply unavailable, even if someone did want to buy it. Maybe I'm wrong about the strength of a CF body. Maybe it really would shatter on impact. There's only one way to find out.
    This was Standard on Traxxas kits before the Rustler >_<
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Very good point.

Back in the day RC's came with hard plastic body's. People soon found out that a few crashes would destroy them and now they are only on slow or collectible RC's. Carbon fiber has even less give and once broken may as well be thrown out because a second crash will be even worse. Carbon fiber is strong only in applications where it does not have to move/handle impacts. It is not just all around strong. You can try making one but you have been warned about what will happen.
    Yeah... I see what you're saying... but I'm not talking about a basher body here. I'm talking about a body that would go on an XO-1 or something. I think it could stand up to a pretty good impact if built properly.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    This was Standard on Traxxas kits before the Rustler >_<
    You may have missed the point. I was getting at the fact that Traxxas doesn't build their cars and trucks with the best stuff out there. They do their best while keeping it cost effective.

RC Competitor
    not always true. Plastics have come a long way since traxxas was first founded. Now in a lot of cases plastic can have a longer durability due to heat build up, dissipation, friction, and higher flexibility.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by madjoker911 View Post
    not always true. Plastics have come a long way since traxxas was first founded. Now in a lot of cases plastic can have a longer durability due to heat build up, dissipation, friction, and higher flexibility.
    Then explain to me the entire RC aftermarket industry? Why is it that when someone builds the ultimate (insert Traxxas vehicle here), there is just about nothing Traxxas left on it? As I said before, they do their best while keeping it cost effective. It doesn't make economical sense for Traxxas to make a vehicle using the very best technology and perfect materials.... nor does it make sense for, say, RPM to make an entire RC.

You may have missed the point. I was getting at the fact that Traxxas doesn't build their cars and trucks with the best stuff out there. They do their best while keeping it cost effective.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on that one. Competitors are selling more modern base trucks with aluminium shocks, metal motor plates and even a seal gear diff or ball diff as standard equipment for equal if not less then a Traxxas product. Traxxas does make a aluminium shock that has a smaller diameter then the big bores which should be STANDARD and and have the Big bores as the upgrade. Traxxas also had a transmission that can use the same internels has the VXL and come with a metal motor plate and gaurd which was around since idk 1990 which is a couple years before the Rustler. Aluminium shock and a metal motor plate should be standard equipment. I can see selling the XL-5 series in the current form but drop the price to make it more attractive compare to the competitors entry level RTRs and have the VXL series come with the upgraded shocks(even big bores) and a metal motor plate design.