Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: mod 1 gears

  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    175

    mod 1 gears

    So Ive been searching these posts and cant seem to come up with a solid number, more than likely gonna trail and error but what size are any of you using with mod 1 gears?

    I decided to change out to these because they are a lot more abundant at my LHS than the 32 pitch.
    I'm starting out with a 17 pinion and 40 spur.
    Who needs brakes!!!!

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LEICS, England
    Posts
    4,646
    I can't remember which pinion I've got, but I've definately got a 40t spur.

    Just a word of warning, because of the size of the spur it is difficult to use an HPP motor brace. With my set up you have to force one bolt past another. My ERBE also seems to run a little warm on 6s but it's a long time since I've tested the temps. On the plus side, I stripped several 32p spurs, but not a single mod1.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,811
    is this a converted nitro??

    how many cells..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx View Post
    I can't remember which pinion I've got, but I've definately got a 40t spur.

    Just a word of warning, because of the size of the spur it is difficult to use an HPP motor brace. With my set up you have to force one bolt past another. My ERBE also seems to run a little warm on 6s but it's a long time since I've tested the temps. On the plus side, I stripped several 32p spurs, but not a single mod1.
    Pretty much the reason I decided to go with mod1, seams a little more stout.
    Think ill just keep an eye on my temps and go from their.
    I have the stock motor mount on it now, just have to cross that bridge when I get my motor. Some modification is not a problem
    Who needs brakes!!!!

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    is this a converted nitro??

    how many cells..
    no, it was a roller I got. Believe it is the brushless. Came with 2 68t 32 pitch spurs. Not sure what he was trying to accomplish with that tall of gear, but it had a broken chassis and rear bulk.... 6 s
    Who needs brakes!!!!

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,811
    I could be wrong but I think it will not mesh...the gears.. 17/40
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LEICS, England
    Posts
    4,646
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    I could be wrong but I think it will not mesh...the gears.. 17/40
    That is the issue with the HPP brace. The motor has to be laid right over to the centre of the truck.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    I could be wrong but I think it will not mesh...the gears.. 17/40
    Ya, i already got the gears spur and pinon. both mod 1. took out the 32 pitch spur
    Who needs brakes!!!!

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,811
    wee

    2/3s
    17/40 = 69.82 mph
    Spur/Pinion Reduction Ratio 2.35 : 1
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    wee

    2/3s
    17/40 = 69.82 mph
    Spur/Pinion Reduction Ratio 2.35 : 1
    LOL... im shooting for 100 mph, jk!
    I did check the mesh and still have plenty of room on my motor mount for a smaller pinon.
    87 GN, would you happen to have a chart like the one for 32 pitch for the mod1 gears?
    Who needs brakes!!!!

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,811
    sorry.... no chart I use BrianG site...... kind of fun to use once you know how to change up the options...

    Diff ratio

    4s = 40 mph
    5s = 50 mph
    6s = 60 mph

    change the cell count, spur & pinion count, & tire size.


    BrianG speed chart:

    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

    Copy / paste: Import this:

    Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538463
    Transmission Ratio: 1.8333333333333333
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 54
    Pinion Tooth Count: 21
    Total Voltage: 22.20
    Motor KV: 2200
    Tire Diameter (inches): 5.9
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
    Motor Current Draw: 0
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0.006
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3 : 1
    Total Ratio: 15.65385 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 18.54 inches (470.8 mm)
    Rollout: 1.18:1
    Total Motor Speed: 48840 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 54.76 mph (87.97 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 2200
    KT constant: 0.61 oz-in/A
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    sorry.... no chart I use BrianG site...... kind of fun to use once you know how to change up the options...

    Diff ratio

    4s = 40 mph
    5s = 50 mph
    6s = 60 mph

    change the cell count, spur & pinion count, & tire size.


    BrianG speed chart:

    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

    Copy / paste: Import this:

    Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538463
    Transmission Ratio: 1.8333333333333333
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 54
    Pinion Tooth Count: 21
    Total Voltage: 22.20
    Motor KV: 2200
    Tire Diameter (inches): 5.9
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
    Motor Current Draw: 0
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0.006
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3 : 1
    Total Ratio: 15.65385 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 18.54 inches (470.8 mm)
    Rollout: 1.18:1
    Total Motor Speed: 48840 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 54.76 mph (87.97 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 2200
    KT constant: 0.61 oz-in/A
    Ahh... Gotcha. Thanks i will do some playing around with that
    Who needs brakes!!!!

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    18
    i was running a 25t pinion and a 34t spur it needed a little less acceleration but I dont think you can fit any bigger of a pinion with the current motor mount

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •