RC Enthusiast

Buggy conversion?

Anyone think the rally would make a good buggy conversion? Like the \backslash from ultimate RC?

Driving is not a leisure time activity.

RC poster
    A rally buggy would be awesome!! i'm sure somebody will do one.

RC Champion
    i won't say a word. i will wait for someone else to.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by turok View Post
    i won't say a word. i will wait for someone else to.
    That's a very helpful response turok. Wow. Thanks.

I know it is based on a 4X4 Slash, and that many have converted the Slash to a buggy aka \backslash.

My question is, is the LCG more suitable for a buggy style or would ground clearance be an issue?

Has anyone done a buggy conversion yet on the new 1/10 Rally?

I really like the buggy styling, and I would love to see Traxxas do an actual 1/10 4X4 buggy. But I am thinking about getting the rally and doing a conversion.

RC Champion
    I think you have enough suspension set up geomtery to work with to do what you want. Travel is good, ground clearance is about and inch but can be tweaked with shock position or tire sizes etc

RC Qualifier
    a 1/10 buggy is small and fragile, so if you converted the rally, you would be sized at 1/8. Are you planning on racing? If so, you will be racing with 1/8 buggies, and even though I like the rally and will be getting one for Christmas, a rally will not be competitive in that class.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You never know how competitive it could be. Some guys are having excellent results with LCG backslash racers. If you look at any competitive 1/8 buggy it will have an LCG chassis similar to what the Rally has. NO race buggy has a chassis designed for ground clearance. So, the rally would be the best platform traxxas has to use as a starting point. Who knows, maybe we see a 4X4 Bandit at some point.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Given equal or close to equal drivers, it would not be competitive. People thought the same thing when the revo came out, racing it in the truggy class. While people did win some races, a revo or erevo is not competitive with a truggy if drivers are close in ability.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by badaml View Post
    Given equal or close to equal drivers, it would not be competitive. People thought the same thing when the revo came out, racing it in the truggy class. While people did win some races, a revo or erevo is not competitive with a truggy if drivers are close in ability.
    I agree. My slash, and my Vorza (both set up for the same track) handle 100% differently.
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Im just stating what ive already heard other say. Perhaps at a pro level its not the most competitive platform. But many, even many on this forum, have had great success racing it against other 1/10 SCT trucks and some guys here have won races at the club level with LCG backslash 4X4's.

Traxxas doesnt claim to make pro level race vehicles. The make competitive basher vehicles that CAN be run on a track... at times quite competitively with the right driver.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Racing against short course trucks, yes, I think it would be very competitive. It would also be unfair if converted to a buggy style rc. If it was converted to a buggy style, most tracks will have you race against other buggies in the 1/8 class, where it would not do well.

I have raced an erevo against 1/8 buggies, and did well. It also took a lot more concentration to get anywheres near the lap times of those buggies. I was running a Vorza at the time also, and it was much easier to turn fast laps with the Vorza. After getting a Ve8, there is no way I could turn those lap times with the erevo or the vorza.

I am not saying it is a bad idea, I am saying it is not a good idea IF the OP is planning on racing. Traxxas does not claim to make pro level race vehicles, yes, I understand and agree; Traxxas customers often want to try and prove that their rc's can race with pro level vehicles though. That is one reason that Traxxas owners get such a hard time on other forums.

Enjoy Traxxas RC's for what they are, not for what you think it is. More often than not, the outcome will not be in your favor and you are just furthering a bad sterotype.

On the other hand, I plan on racing the rally on occasion, and am looking forward to seeing how it does. I think most of the Traxxas stuff is more than capable of winning within the class it is designed for; afterall, the revo pretty much won all the MT races, no other mt was near as capable on the track.
    Last edited by badaml; 12-03-2012 at 07:13 PM.

RC Competitor
    so has anyone done the buggy conversion yet?? I'd like to do that with mine, but i don't have the resources to experiment with parts. Just hoping someone has a parts list.

That's a good idea, converting the Rally into a buggy. As pave said above, the ground clearance would be very similar to a 1/8 buggy. I know because I have the Ofna LX2E and ground clearance is similar to the Rally.

But the Ofna is longer and much heavier built, and you really need no less than a 4s lipo to get good speeds.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upcbIll5hkI Found this, you're welcome.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.