RC Qualifier

How To Prevent Sparking and Shorting with Bullet Connectors

I picked up my car with the new bullet connectors on it, connected the batteries and man did that thing spark! Is there any way to prevent the spark?

Also, when storing the batteries while travelling or at the house, what do you do to prevent the wires on the batteries from touching together? Any cool ideas for separating them like a some type of insulative covers to put over the ends or holders to keep the wires apart? Since I am fairly new to the R/C world, I am just wondering if there are commonly known ways to prevent sparking and shorting.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Champion
    all connectors spark but most are covered by a piece of plastic so you never notice it.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

Quote Originally Posted by bringit View Post
    I picked up my car with the new bullet connectors on it, connected the batteries and man did that thing spark! Is there any way to prevent the spark? Not recommended on Castle-derived ESCs.

Also, when storing the batteries while travelling or at the house, what do you do to prevent the wires on the batteries from touching together? Any cool ideas for separating them like a some type of insulative covers to put over the ends or holders to keep the wires apart? Since I am fairly new to the R/C world, I am just wondering if there are commonly known ways to prevent sparking and shorting.
    Batteries are supposed to have female connectors for safety. If yours have exposed connectors, something is wrong.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I use small heat shrink on mine to cover the wires while they are stored just cut the heat shrink longer than the wire itself like so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Batteries are supposed to have female connectors for safety. If yours have exposed connectors, something is wrong.
    IMO, Having the same female bullets on both positive and negative would promote an accidental backwards connection and smoking ESCs.

I would prefer(not using bullets) one long and one short leg, one male and one female bullet on both the esc and lipo. Shrink tube is not an option.

RC Qualifier
    I use a 1/2" of heat shrink tube with the end shrunk down to slide over the bullet ends when connected or during storage. You will not be able to plug and unplug the connectors if you have a 'cover' over the end of the bullets. They are hard enough to pull apart as is.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4