RC Qualifier

Titan 775 question

So I'm on my 5th motor now in the year I have owned it. I heard they should last way longer then what they are. It doesn't stop working its just slow as heck in first and second. First gear barely crawls and second is the speed first gear was when I bought it. What's wrong here? Do I needa lube it or something?
    Slash rocks!!!

They do last way longer - just not for you, so there is something wrong somewhere. Even not broken-in they last longer.
    Please refresh our memories with a listing of gearing, tires, running conditions and tendencies, maintenance performed, and anything else that may possibly be relevant.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Stock batteries stock gearing stock everything ran on street and grass couch crawling dirt hill climbing that's about it. Up always stop to shift stick it in the bathtub to clean never use any oils or lube that's about it lol

No break in
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-26-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: merge
    Slash rocks!!!

@ No break-in: Why not?

How often do you run and for how long?

When do you clean your motor and with what? Just bathtub water? (What - no bubble bath? )

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by boston2612 View Post
    Stock batteries stock gearing stock everything ran on street and grass couch crawling dirt hill climbing that's about it. Up always stop to shift stick it in the bathtub to clean never use any oils or lube that's about it lol

No break in
    You put it in the bathtub?? Obviously not married... LOL

RC Qualifier
    I'm only 17 bro lol
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Qualifier
    Never clean the motor lol was under the impression when I drove it into a lake it cleaned itself?
    Slash rocks!!!

Yes unfortunately it also cleans out the bushings and every other moving part
    Leaving behind water...rust corrosion
    If you are in water lots lubricating moving parts is a good idea.
    The motor has bushings at either end those SHOULD be lubed regularly

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I wonder if the stock batteries are dying...
    I may be way off, but if they cannot provide what a motor needs, isn't that hard on a motor??
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Nope I bought 2 brand to onyx batts
    Slash rocks!!!

RC poster
    Mine lasted over a year and a half, and I abused it and never serviced it. Definately going to replace it with the same.

RC Qualifier
    Never clean the motor lol was under the impression when I drove it into a lake it cleaned itself?
    Problem solved... your bearings are dried, friction everywhere, over worked motor. Take all the bearings out, clean them with spray and lube, plus grease your CVDs and outdrives. Treat your Summit like a machine not a toy

RC Qualifier
    To some these may be toys but in reality the Summit is a very sophisticated machine with lots of "Moving parts" If these are not cleaned and lubed at regular intervals something will fail. Running the summit in water/wet conditions you have to be prepared to do extra maintenance do to rust and lubrication's (grease, oil, etc.) being removed. Bearings will take a beating when run in the water if not maintained properly.
    If you have a Summit manual, now would be a good time to read threw it about maintenance, and if you do not have one go on line and read the one available for the model Summit you have.

Just in case here is the link for the Summit with all the info. available on line that should help you maintain your RC.
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5607summit
    Last edited by Edstoys; 10-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    To some these may be toys but in reality the Summit is a very sophisticated machine with lots of "Moving parts" If these are not cleaned and lubed at regular intervals something will fail. Running the summit in water/wet conditions you have to be prepared to do extra maintenance do to rust and lubrication's (grease, oil, etc.) being removed. Bearings will take a beating when run in the water if not maintained properly.
    If you have a Summit manual, now would be a good time to read threw it about maintenance, and if you do not have one go on line and read the one available for the model Summit you have.

Just in case here is the link for the Summit with all the info. available on line that should help you maintain your RC.
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5607summit
    Obviously you guys don't know me there's a reason I don't do maintenance on my summit like I do no my ERBE'S or my emaxx or stampede. It's because I'm trying to push the summit past its limits and see what happens so far I have never broken a part except a servo. I have driven it off 30foot waterfalls into shalow water and it hit the bottom nothing broke. Yes the summit is an amazing machine but what truly is its limits? I don't think it has any but no motor maintenance. Causing motor failure. I'll oil it up but I ordered a dreamt 14.4v
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Obviously you guys don't know me there's a reason I don't do maintenance on my summit like I do no my ERBE'S or my emaxx or stampede. It's because I'm trying to push the summit past its limits and see what happens so far I have never broken a part except a servo. I have driven it off 30foot waterfalls into shalow water and it hit the bottom nothing broke. Yes the summit is an amazing machine but what truly is its limits? I don't think it has any but no motor maintenance. Causing motor failure. I'll oil it up but I ordered a dreamt 14.4v
    That all makes sense now. You run it hard and admit it.

I bought a Summit well over three years ago and ran it a lot for the first two years, not so much this year. It still runs the original 775 Titan motor and stock tires. I have pulled the truck completely apart 2 or 3 times to re-lube bearings and such, plus the motor is cleaned and lubed on a regular basis. After 35 years of off-road dirt bike riding and racing I have seen the damage water and mud can do to mechanical things, so none of my RC trucks get run in wet conditions or mud, but that is just me.

RC Qualifier
    So let me get this straight...you're trying to push your summit to the limits by bashing it off cliffs and in the water, I get that. The summit is a tough Ol girl and a lot of fun.

But doing NO maintinence at all?! Then asking us why you're on your 5th motor this year? It really should have become evident by your 2nd-3rd motor that you have found a weak link and a little cleaning and lube wouldn't hurt. Especially when your initial post asked if you "needa lube it or somthing"

A dewalt won't be happy either if its bearings become dried out or filled with water dirt and other FM. It will prematurely fail as well. As soon as the Titan? Maybe not. ALL motors like to be clean and oiled. A Couple drops of oil could have saved you a lot of $$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

Thank you for the sensible post. Well written.

RC Qualifier
    good point ... well i sprayed some dd40 in there and it actualy made it better ill get some oil on tuesday when i go to the hobby store. Hey so i got a single hitec servo and when i turn right it goes left whats wrong here?

I can't figure out what you typed to get 4 *'s, but please be careful of your language in the future. Tbank you.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-27-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Qualifier
    good point ... well i sprayed some dd40 in there and it actualy made it better ill get some oil on tuesday when i go to the hobby store. Hey so i got a single hitec servo and when i turn right it goes left whats wrong here?
    Here go read this thread that is going on right now and is the second one on the Summits main page (not counting the sticky posts, which are in gray) He is having the same problem and couple of ways to solve it are posted. Pay paticular attention to Post #3 by Jimmie Neutron.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...servo-go-right

Please edit *s out of posts that you quote.
    Thank you.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-27-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Champion
    I'm trying to push the summit past its limits and see what happens so far I have never broken a part except a servo. I have driven ..into shalow water . Yes the summit is an amazing machine but what truly is its limits?(speed and stairs) I don't think it has any but no motor maintenance.
    yup when i was new to rc the summit was my first... got it on december the tenth and by the end of march break all the bearings in the diff's and some axle bearing blew apart on the last run of that week
    i did some what lubricat it but it was to little and not freakwent enought then again it didnt help that i drove it throught snow water and mud boged then at the end of the run i'd hose it clean. but that majorly changed when i paid the bill at the lhs.
    and with that i dont run it in water or mud eny more and have not had a brown bearing since....but on the other hand my motor is still alive... 2yrs strong with minimal bushing play throught all that

but ''what kills others may not kill you''... ''were all diffrent no matter how close we wer on the asembaly line''

i just have to wounder how much binding you have in the drive train to cuase the motor failure

oh how tight do you mesh the pinion to the spur? this could be a problem
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Edstoys;5321324]Here go read this thread that is going on right now and is the second one on the Summits main page (not counting the sticky posts, which are in gray) He is having the same problem and couple of ways to solve it are posted. Pay paticular attention to Post #3 by Jimmie Neutron.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...servo-go-right

Sorry Ed but I gotta be the wise guy here. Pay particular attention to the OP of this thread and the one you linked. Sorry I'm bored.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    Last edited by happymachinist; 10-28-2012 at 01:39 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    yup when i was new to rc the summit was my first... got it on december the tenth and by the end of march break all the bearings in the diff's and some axle bearing blew apart on the last run of that week
    i did some what lubricat it but it was to little and not freakwent enought then again it didnt help that i drove it throught snow water and mud boged then at the end of the run i'd hose it clean. but that majorly changed when i paid the bill at the lhs.
    and with that i dont run it in water or mud eny more and have not had a brown bearing since....but on the other hand my motor is still alive... 2yrs strong with minimal bushing play throught all that

but ''what kills others may not kill you''... ''were all diffrent no matter how close we wer on the asembaly line''

i just have to wounder how much binding you have in the drive train to cuase the motor failure

oh how tight do you mesh the pinion to the spur? this could be a problem
    Dude I'm not stupid I prolly know more about Rc then you I have 40 rc's. the summit I have has for a year and a half maybe longer I blew the motor today pulling my Toyota carolla down the block it started smoking and caught on fire. I used the ban saw to inspect the inside it was all rusty s d nasty I'm gonna buy a 14.4 drill motor and take care of it thanks for all your help
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Champion
    i watched smoke roll out the front of my stock summit yesterday. wish i had a vid. looked like it blew a radiator hose at first. lol.
    was actually climbing a pile of wood when one tire got jammed (4x4 possy), and slipped the clutch at first. then poof, smoke rolled out the front of the summit body. motor stinks. it still works, but not much longer i bet. i do have another 775 so no bigy. ive had my summit about 8 months.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    not calling you stuiped... just becuase you have 40rc's dosent necsacearly mean you know more .and it shows you said that you dont lubricate the drive train and you drive throuth water. now this is my experience but water and bearings tend to lock right up you should know that. and when a motor has to work hard constantly there is a failur time.so with saying that the motor with a free drive train should last about a year or more from experience

i was just saying how i started out

your pushing the limits of the truck like pushing the carolla ...and why did your motor go?

(below is back to a nuetral talk)
    it is still puzzels me why the motor's you have keep on dieing the way they do like i understand what you have done to them but they should be lasting longer than that unless above is true
    Last edited by reod12x2; 10-28-2012 at 10:49 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... it is still puzzels me why the motor's you have keep on dieing the way they do like i understand what you have done to them but they should be lasting longer than that
    Not necessarily. It is possible to kill a motor in just one run or even part of a run. I know because I have done so more than once with other brushed motors. Over-gear it, over-load it, run it in excessive dirt, mud or dust, or any combination of these and in just one run the motor will be toast.
    Last edited by Jakey; 10-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.

RC Qualifier
    not calling you stuiped... just becuase you have 40rc's dosent necsacearly mean you know more .and it shows you said that you dont lubricate the drive train and you drive throuth water. now this is my experience but water and bearings tend to lock right up you should know that. and when a motor has to work hard constantly there is a failur time.so with saying that the motor with a free drive train should last about a year or more from experience

i was just saying how i started out

your pushing the limits of the truck like pushing the carolla ...and why did your motor go?

(below is back to a nuetral talk)
    it is still puzzels me why the motor's you have keep on dieing the way they do like i understand what you have done to them but they should be lasting longer than that unless above is true
    Apparently you didn't read all the posts because I do maintenance on all other rc's but my summit
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Champion
    i know what you mean by that boston but it wasnt meant for the rest of your rcs... just directid at the summit

Well, apparently this whole thread has been a waste of time and bandwidth in an attempt to solve the OP's non-existent problem. Due to that and the less than stellar attitudes being displayed,this thread is hereby closed.