RC Qualifier

Cant get shocks to seal? What a mess

Hey all, cant get those pesky plastic o-ring retainers on the shock bodies to stop coming loose and peeing all the shock oil all over my summit. Leaked with stock oil, now leaks worse with 45w. Whats the most budget friendly fix.

RC Enthusiast
    Are you talking about the plastic cap around the shock shaft? I run the HR aluminum shock body's. They have threaded caps. You use the stock internals. They are like 6 bucks a pair.

RC Competitor
    Make sure the bottom cap is tight. I had the problem recently with a rebuilt shock and just had to replace the two seals and spacer over again--no leaks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    problem with the stock shocks is the cap snaps on i would go with hr shocks comes with screw on caps.
    for a good shock upgrade go with hr shock bodies with stock internals and spring .use traxxas seals not the hr seals

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Have you tried super glue?
    They wouldn't be rebuildable afterwards, but they shouldn't leak either.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I tried the hr bodies but my set had to large of a bore on my stockers i welded lol with high temp
    Hot glue i have 90 wt and not a leak one....

RC Qualifier
    I second the super glue idea if you got stockers. The full stock shocks is only a couple bucks more than the rebuild kit anyways. So, I'd glue that little snap cap on and call it good. Then get new stockers when it's time and repeat. If you don't mind throwing a bit of cash down the traxxas gtr shock are good(least I didn't have problems).
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Competitor
    I like the GTR shocks too and the package which helps you track front vs rear shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Well i tried out the super glue methood as i figured what do i have to loose. And 3 of 4 shocks sealed and the last on
    Seeps a little but not nearly as bad. Thnx guys. Oh and 6 bucks a pair for aluminum bodies sounds great any more info on
    the hr bodies would be appreciated. Never mind my search button works!

RC Racer
    Has anyone measured the hr bodies bore? mine were way bigger then the piston leading to
    lots of blow by which many just dont notice and wonder y their shocks seem less efective then the
    stockers
    dont blow off using hot glue high temp it seals and holds very well it is flexable and when
    you need to just peal it off it can be tough but it will come off unlike sglue.
    Last edited by yellowufo; 10-26-2012 at 07:42 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Ya i managed to find some super glue on my drilling rig in alberta at 3am on night shift but finding a hot glue gun out here chances are null and void! Maybe ill try it on next set of cheap stockers. Getting 4 of 8 to seal should be a reasonable request.

RC Qualifier
    I have a set of GTR shocks and haven't had a problem with leaking. I picked up 2 sets of HR bodies and the oil leaked all over the place. Then I got the notion of using the stock o-rings in the HR bodies, no leaks. I also went to a mixture of 70WT & 10K Diff oil, now I have the stiffness I want, and still, no leaks!
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!