Thread: 1/8 scale tires

1/8 scale tires

Anyone been able to see if there is clearance to run a 1/8 buggy wheel on these guys?

Also is there a 17mm conversion that doesn't increase width?
    I had the AKA 17mm conversion on mine and im sure that pushed the wheels out a bit.

Main reason for asking is i have a new set of Dynamite RoadRunners which are a full 1/8th rim but very thin rubber section. Would love to try them on this when i get it.
    Last edited by Cameron; 10-24-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Main reason for asking is i have a new set of Dynamite RoadRunners which are a full 1/8th rim but very thin rubber section. Would love to try them on this when i get it.
    I'm picking up my Roadrunners Friday when I'm off work along with a set of TRX 17mm adapters for my Rally. I'll post some pics when I get it together.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

traxxas made a set of 17mm hubs that work on the slash axles? I did not know that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes Splined 17mm hub adapters. There is a set for the 2wd Slash, different offset front to rear, and a set for 4x4 Slash/Pede etc which is same offset all round.

6856X - 4x4
    5853X - 2wd.

Hope that helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Yes they do. I have a set of 17mm adapters but have yet to use them. Just make sure you get the right kit like emax posted above and not for 2WD as they have diff offset.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I think the Rally will look great in a set of buggy tires. I like the 1/8 profile.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I did a bunch of research on this in my "aftermarket observations" thread. Most buggy tires (with realistic tread) are about 108-112mm in diameter
    Most 1/8 GT car tires are between 96 and 102mm in diameter.

The stock rally tires are 102mm in diameter. So, if you get the right ones, the buggy tires/wheels should fit. Also, BSA makes 1/8 onroad foams that are nearly the exact diameter of the stock tires.

The buggy tire/wheel setup im looking at right now is the Duratrax Derringer. Not too aggressive, but not too mild either and the diameter is very close to stock. Found some nice spoked ofna wheels for them so it should still look pretty good.

Also, im not sure if the traxxas adapters address this or not. But you would need adapters that add a small amount of width. Buggy wheels are a very high offset so they dont stick out very far. Certainly not as far as the stock rally wheels do. If you just used a +0 17mm adatper I think youd find the track width would end up narrower. I have a set of integy +6 adapters... that may be too much. I think +3 is ideal.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

Thumbs up

Those look clean Pave. I bet they hook up nicely. Wonder how good the wear is on them. The nobbies are really short.

FEATURES
    <>Random shaped tread ideal for loose (dry and loamy), mud (wet), hard packed (wet), pavement and grass track surfaces
    <>Molded from worldwide race-winning long lasting C2 compound
    <>Color-coded sidewall markings make it easy to identify each tread pattern at a glance
    <>Resealable packaging

SPECS
    <>Inner Diameter: 3.1" (79mm)
    <>Outer Diameter: 4.25" (108mm)
    <>Width: 1.6" (41.5mm)

I found some good look'n Ofna V-Spoke wheels. Many they come in all flavors. It would be a hard decision if I'd go with Orange, Black, or Black Chrome. LOL The OD of these is a little bit more than the ID of those treads. Is that ok for the fitment of the 2??

V-Spoke
    SPECS: Width: 1.65 (42mm) Diameter: 3.3 (80.5mm) Hex Size: 17mm

Dual Spoke
    SPECS: Outer Diameter: 3-1/2 (86mm) Inner Diameter: 3-1/8 (77mm) Width: 1-5/8 (40mm) Hex Hub: 3/4 (17mm) Axle Hole: 1/2 (10mm)
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Double post.
    Last edited by eemmaaxxxx; 10-25-2012 at 12:26 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those tyres look really nice. There's a company in the UK that do cheap Buggy premounts that I like the look of. Something like this.

How long will it be before someone uses mini pins

RC Champion
    Just ordered these.

With these.

Also got a set of street fighters on order for my PL Beadlocs 2.2/3.0. And also ordered up a set of PL 1/8 Knuckles for the set of extra V2 Split Six wheels I got laying around.

I have the Hot Racing 17mm adapter for the Slash 4x4. Not to sure how much they extend. Been looking can't really find the info. Pics when I get everything for sure
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

have fun gluing those up... i have had 2 Ofna GTP2e and a DM1. You would think i have gotten the hang of those darn tires by now... they get tossed or sold when i see them now.

RC Champion
    They are a pain i'm guessing? lol. Oh well, will see how it goes
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

There is a video on youtube from Jang that helps, but yes they are a nightmare. And if your tires are the belted ones it is even worse. Why they used that 2piece foam is beyond me. a single closed cell foam is so much easier to install and work with.
    They use them on almost every other tire.
    Last edited by Cameron; 10-25-2012 at 04:55 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Just ordered these.

With these.

Also got a set of street fighters on order for my PL Beadlocs 2.2/3.0. And also ordered up a set of PL 1/8 Knuckles for the set of extra V2 Split Six wheels I got laying around.

I have the Hot Racing 17mm adapter for the Slash 4x4. Not to sure how much they extend. Been looking can't really find the info. Pics when I get everything for sure
    And just what are 'those' tires??

RC Champion
    These seem like a nice on/off possibility too:
    JConcepts.....
    I really like the Traxxas stock tire and hope it works out well but a dedicated street/drift combo and a grip tire set will be needed too.

Those are Ofna belted radials for a 1/8 GT car. Not to undermine the OP but you can buy a full set of Sweep Racing Belted radials, pre glued on their wheels for the same price as just the ofna tires. They are way over priced. I preferred the sweeps performance as well.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Thanks Pave I am not familiar with street tire offerings yet, more to learn as usual......

If anyone cares to suggest tire brand offerings to consider that would be great!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm suprised that Traxxas say the tread is licensed on the stock tyres. If you look at the shape of the individual lugs then yes it is a very similar pattern to that used in the WRC. The depth of the tread, spacing between the tread blocks and the depth of the sidewall is no where near accurate.

I think a 1/8 size tyre but with an accurate tread would be awesome.
    Last edited by eemmaaxxxx; 10-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    also available for 1/8 buggy tires is proline badlands and road rage....
    I like turtles.

I looked at the badlands. Because of the aggressive block tread, they end up being really tall compared to the stock tires. Im sure theyll fit, but they may look weird/not scale and will likely cause body rub.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion

I just measured the Dynamite set i have and they are only 95mm overall.

for size comparisons.
    Dynamite RoadRunners, Sweep 1/8 Belted GT, JC DoubleCross standard 1/8 Buggy Combo

I like that look, but i think the 1/8 buggy sets would most certainly rub a ton.
    Last edited by Cameron; 10-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.

RC Champion
    ^^ HOT!! not very fast but HOT!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i just order this set for my onroad build..is this any good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/310489411409...84.m1438.l2648
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

i havent had the stomach to order from him yet, his stuff is almost too cheap. Makes me wonder.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    man, i hope its not to big to where i have to cut the wheel well even bigger, lol.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Racer
    I just put on SC8e wheels and tires. I really liked these tires on my SC8e. Will try them out tomorrow. I trimmed the wheel wells a tad to.

Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

Ran my Duratrax Derringers today with the +6 offset 17mm adapters and with the stock body moved up one hole the front didnt rub at all. I got a little but of rub on the front edge of the rear wheel opening and im sure it would only take a few mm of trimming to fix it. A tire thats slightly smaller would have no trouble clearing at all. Im not happy with the tires on pavement but they seem to hook up quite good in the dirt. However, not as good as the stock tires, so I think im going to switch back.

Im still going to buy a set of sweep belted radials though. I think they'll be great for some speed runs.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    can you pm me the link you found them on? havent been able to locate them...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Ran my Duratrax Derringers today with the +6 offset 17mm adapters and with the stock body moved up one hole the front didnt rub at all.
    How are you calculating the offset? Do you measure it yourself or does the manufacturer provide the number?

MFG lists them as +6... I've never measured them myself.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I have HR 17mm adapters and they do not list there offset, but there is offset. Here is the stock hex held next to them. But, thankfully, they seem to be the perfect width. I did have to trim the body. The rear wheel well about 1/2 an inch towards the rear bumper, as on decent size jumps, the body would get caught up in rear the Tire. I also raised the body one hole. Not sure if that helped yet. I also trimmed the front wells, but not much. I also noticed the extra width has helped out quite a bit on not flipping with Street fighters. Handles great and drifts pretty good if your aggressive. Overall, I like the 1/8 tires and the extra clearance you get.

Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16