Hybrid View

RC Enthusiast

Brand new REVO... Whats your advice?

What did you wish you knew when your REVO was new? This isn't my first Traxxas nitro, but my first one brand new outta the box.

I'll read the manual.

I'll break the motor in to standard.

Any parts to upgrade right away?

Any adjustments to make right away?

Any replacement parts to go ahead and have on hand?

Purpose-wise, I'm using this as an all-around performer. I have a tmaxx for hard bashing and a jato for speed. So, I'm not expecting this to be a specialty truck. Well, not yet.

Please share your opinion.
    Last edited by X_Spurt; 10-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Well, prepare to bin your tmaxx coz the revo is far superior in every way, bashing or racing.

Spend some time checking all nuts are tight before you start. When I broke mine in I started good but ended up with engine mount screws falling out and getting lost before tank 6. If in doubt take them out and blue thread lock them in tight.

Get some rpm arms and keep an eye on the slipper, keep it nice and rich snd dont rush the break in. Good luck.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Enthusiast
    @revomikey:

It didn't occur to me to tighten screws. I'll certainly give everything a check before I start. I don't think I will break it in until the weekend. Thanks for your insight

RC Competitor
    definetly dont rush break in. keep away from curbs...

Just take your time and you'll have a good break-in experience. Trying to rush break-in never works out well. The only thing you should worry about buying is more fuel, glow plugs (LC3 is what I always run, and LOVE them), maybe a spare airfilter assembly w/ foam, and try to find a REVO screw set on ebay. Just buy a set from one of the sellers who part out the revos, the 'aftermarket' kits are never worth it (ask me how I know). I hardly ever brake a-arms... Infact I have broken maybe 4 total after 3+ years of some serious racing and jumping.
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    Get it lowered a bit, put the suspension pushrods in the center hole on the a-arm, Makes it handle better & harder to tip over. Put firmer springs front & rear as well, also helps with handling & jumping, stops it sagging so much. I done this & it made a big difference. The rear wing & sway bar kit are good additions, traxxas or teckno, although the rear traxxas sway bay doesn't fit with a wing on. Wont be long before mine gets them, as well as a better carby so its easier to tune & has more power.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
    Get it lowered a bit, put the suspension pushrods in the center hole on the a-arm, Makes it handle better & harder to tip over. Put firmer springs front & rear as well, also helps with handling & jumping, stops it sagging so much. I done this & it made a big difference. The rear wing & sway bar kit are good additions, traxxas or teckno, although the rear traxxas sway bay doesn't fit with a wing on. Wont be long before mine gets them, as well as a better carby so its easier to tune & has more power.
    As above, the rear wing and sway bar kit are good additions, the sway bar does fit with the wing in place.

RC Qualifier
    Suspension, great point. Use the lt springs in the box on the stock p2 rockers with 50wt oil. My favourite combo.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Racer
    From everything I have read, on here & other forums, the Traxxas sway bar kit won't fit with the wing & wing mount in place, the Teckno sway bar kit is a different set up though & will fit with the wing on. I don't have either atm but was going for the Teckno set up because I want the wing.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO